TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Phantom braking, etc. overflow from 2018.32.2 thread

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dailo, Aug 21, 2018.

1. dailo

dailo Member

#1 dailo, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2018
    Moderator note (bmah): The first 29 posts in this thread were moved from the "Software Update 2018.32.2 ..." thread.

I hope it fixes the phantom braking I've been experiencing everyday so far on 2018.28...

2. g1000x

g1000x Member

Phantom braking is the biggest issue for me with Autopilot right now.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  3. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

+1

4. nybw51mr42

nybw51mr42 Member

I had a lot of phantom breaking issues on 2018.16. I've only ever had that, so I'm curious how the new updates will pan out. Should be getting my car back this week from the SC with I'm guessing the new software.

5. croman

croman Active Member

If you don't want phantom braking, downgrade to AP2.0. I have virtually none with my Bosch radar.

6. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Noticing the same. Seems like AP2.5 has more phantom braking than AP2.0 at the time being… I would imagine Tesla more or less forced themselves to enable radar braking before they were really ready on AP2.5 — I would assume that fatal crash in Mountain View investigation is determining that at least part of the contributing cause is radar braking (or the lack thereof) and that car is probably AP2.5.

Unfortunately that's one of the bigger differences between the Conti and Bosch radars — the beam pattern seems totally different, and I'd imagine how it recognizes objects is different too.

• Like x 1
  7. CK_Stuggi

CK_Stuggi Member

I've recently experienced a Phantom braking at a spot I never yet had one after passing the spot hundreds of times. On AP2. Remember phantom braking can also be triggered by an update to the autopilot maps layer, which has flags for radar events, ie. markers for where a radar event is to be ignored.
    In recent days many people have reported weird map issues and quirkyness. It might well be the are not related to the current software version but to updates to the autopilot maps.

8. Beardco

Beardco Member

During our recent trip from Seattle to southern California, Crazy Head did a lot of phantom braking. It was mostly due to light conditions e.g. underpasses or dark and light areas caused by building shadows.

Since we might be no more than 2 months out from V9, I'm going to try to ignore the whack job braking and diving for construction areas.
    The construction area diving is Crazy Head's favorite game. Wakes me right up. A close second is the whack job braking at 75 MPH with semi right behind me. This results in panicked driver sending car into rocket mode, throwing all manner of crap around in the car, thus waking up 9 year old in back seat.

This is probably reducing my caffeine expense but has the potential for added laundry cost due to human portal release.

• Funny x 8
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

Interesting, same here, very little phantom braking.sounds like good info.

10. buttershrimp

I’m curious what follow distance you all are using, I have very little phantom braking... and I use it a lot. I usually drive between 1-3 follow distance, probably on 1 about 80% of the time.... I like to set a short follow distance and adjust speed to deal with not tailgating.... it seems to allow me to deal with people pulling into my lane with fewer issues. Anyway just curious ....
    One note, there is one thing that seems to trigger awkward braking and that is a car traveling in opposite direction, for example turning left in front of me... there is braking about 2 seconds later just after the car has crossed my future path.... it’s annoying but not horrible, and it seems to coincide with improved ability of my car to detect and stop with stationary cars ahead....

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  11. Beardco

Beardco Member

I was using a 5 in Seattle but, reduced it to 2 driving through California for just the issue you mentioned. My car will react to an oncoming left hand turn but, it seems to be immediate with no delay.

• Informative x 1
  12. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

Would it be possible to start a new thread about phantom braking as, unless it’s fixed in this release, it has nothing to do with the topic.

13. chibi_kurochan

having the same phantom braking issue and the car is in SC for the to run diagnostics and try to reproduce it.
    I realized this is MS thread and I'm talking about my model 3. :) since I haven't gotten update for my MS for the longest time.
    the phantom braking keeps happening while on highway with no cars infront of me, mostly shadow/bridges/trees/underpass..

14. dailo

dailo Member

Yeah same thing here. I think it is more likely due to the software update then anything wrong with your car.

15. chibi_kurochan

yeah I'm almost 99% sure it's the software update, the same thing used to happen on early firmwares around January/February.
    I think they fixed it on the last major rollout with 2018.21.9, then I got 2018.26.3 and phantom braking is back again, and now still with 2018.28.2.

They started rolling out 2018.32.2 yesterday, so we shall see.

16. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Member

Well I'm 28.5 and AP2.5 and I've had no Phantom Braking since the update.
    I had it twice since I got my Car in May of 2018, both were on 24.1
    I use AutoPilot a lot as well, so saying its AP2.5 or 28.5 seems incorrect from my Dataset...

• Helpful x 1
  17. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Both our cars (2018 Model S 100D AP 2.5 & 2018 Model 3 LR AP 2.5) are now on 2018.28.5 and have been exhibiting phantom braking.
    I still think Tesla is now erroring on the side of safety with phantom braking in situations where it would have otherwise ignored less than perfect indicators of potential issues.

• Like x 1
  18. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

By far my biggest issue also lately. Drives me crazy.
    And if wife’s onboard with me .......OH BOY....

19. chibi_kurochan

It makes those who are not familiar pretty traumatized and ended up never using/trusting autopilot. :confused:

20. buttershrimp

Yes, autopilot is getting really good... so good that It is hard to tell I’m not driving.... I don’t get phantom stuff but braking awkwardness occ that tips off passengers that the the robot is driving ... I don’t get very many braking issues with short follow distance to 1 or 2

• Like x 1