Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking - Fixed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model Y with FSD in late June, and I'm am running the current software release. I love the car in a lot of ways, but I've had three incidents of phantom braking, all on the freeway, all kind of random and scary. Two of the incidents involved multiple repeated pumps of the brakes. I can't really say what caused them, some uneven pavement color? Shadows? I'm hoping that vision-only can eventually work, it would be kind of a major screw-up if Tesla decides it needs radar after all.

July 10 2022 - 4 PB events on 2022.20.6; August 10 2022 - 3 PB on 2022.20.8. I’m running the subscription FSD not Beta. PB occurs on AP, EAP under any combination of settings. tried AutoEmergencyBrk off, AccidentAvoidanceAccell off - still happening. PB is definitely not fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
It might be the map update...

A few of my phantom braking events by overpasses I think we're due to the car thinking the speed limit changed. It took me a while to realize it, then one day I looked at the display and saw the speed limit change. AP won't let you go more than 5mph over the limit on non- highways so it was dropping my AP speed thinking I was on a different road(?)

I have radar on my car, FWIW. Never had phantom braking from sun or oncoming traffic. I used to get it from driving next to trucks, but that seemed to have stopped a few updates ago.

First road trip for me this past week and Phantom Braking was real annoying and still "alive", to the point I'n not sure what to think of the car. Selling it may now be an option. Wife doesn't tolerate this as well as me.

2022 Fremont MY delivered Mar 1 , 2022.
Standard AP
Standard Gemini Wheels
Software rev. 2022.20.8
On I-80 for 500+ miles

Headed East 1st day at about 10 AM, clear sky - multiple events
* All AP features that I could shut off, I did. ie, emergency avoidance, acceleration etc.
* Did it both on Cruise and Cruise with AP engaged
*First event was going from light colored concrete onto a bridge that had blacktop on it. That scenario occurred a couple of times
*No other cars or obstructions around
*80 MPH down to 60, hard braking
*Occurred about 2 hrs into the start of the day
*Had a dozen or more, some not as severe, more of a hesitation, over the next ~1 hr or so

Return trip headed west
*Nothing until about 5 hrs into the drive
*By about 4 PM that day they started again. Clear skies
* I watched for the color transition from concrete onto blacktop covered bridges and prepared by having my foot ready on the accelerator to counter the Phantom Braking. That only happened once.
*Again tried th everything off, no helP
*Sun angle now about same as first day heading into the AM sun. Wondered, "is that it? The cameras "looking into the sun?"
*Road surface was lighter concrete and lots of tar "snakes"/stripping all over the road which lead to several
*However, there were other sections that were most dark "chip sealed" surface (tar and rock mixture, not as smooth a a pure blacktop pour would be) with patches of darker blacktop surface that seem to be just as bad.
* this continued for ~1.5+ hrs again, no other obstructions or warnings
*Speed around 80 MPH again
*Stopped to Charge
*Several bugs smears, so wondered about those
*Cleaned bugs off and check all other cameras for cleanliness
*Re-booted the computer, fingers crossed that would fix it
*It did not!!
Drove the last 1.5 home with me managing the speed.
Made for an exhausting day, really shocked that this has not been fixed.
I did turn on data sharing today when it started happening, hoping Tesla reviews it all

This is serious and I have read of others selling because of it.

Hello Tesla?? Can they not really figure this out!?

Hello Tesla?? Can they not really figure this out!?
Well they had it kinda figured out with the radar system but now with vision it’s still a new technology so it will take time to master it. So far my March build 2021 MY is working flawlessly and only had a couple phantom brake problems since owning it. Im oin 20.8 and gonna hold onto it until a better version of vision comes out i guess.
Tesla won’t say it but we all are their secret beta testers

Yes, that is why I turned on data sharing. It was BAD though and I wonder if Tesla Vision will ever really work. If a bug or a shadow or a sun glare on a forward looking camera can disrupt it, I'd rather they just reprogram it to not "think for me" and let me watch and know when to brake. Or give me a way to turn off the braking yet still have the "lane assist" feature active. I don't like the Autopilot term for this anyway. That's a whole other story though.....

And WTH is the "resume" feature for cruise control? I hate having to push that stalk down every time I dis-engage it.