Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking - Fixed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had extreme phantom braking on 2 lane roads, usually caused by on coming large trucks. I would bet 15- 20 incidents in a one hour drive in light traffic. In the past few weeks, I've driven the same roads 6 times and had absolutely no phantom braking. Wondering if others are finding the same. Did a software updates fix it?
There is another thread on Phantom Braking - 11 pages long. I think a discussion on whether it was fixed would be lost in that long thread, so I'm starting a new thread here.

What have you experienced lately?

Reactions: pbcsd
I had extreme phantom braking on 2 lane roads, usually caused by on coming large trucks. I would bet 15- 20 incidents in a one hour drive in light traffic. In the past few weeks, I've driven the same roads 6 times and had absolutely no phantom braking. Wondering if others are finding the same. Did a software updates fix it?
There is another thread on Phantom Braking - 11 pages long. I think a discussion on whether it was fixed would be lost in that long thread, so I'm starting a new thread here.

driving the same time of day I presume. My PB was in bright sunrise/sunset on non-divided roads/highways (country roads)

I've just stopped using on non-divided highways (only have 2 miles on my commute. I've not had any either on interstate. I am on 2022.12.3.1 I do "feel" mine is better also.

Yup 2022.12.3.1 has fixed two lane on coming traffic for sure.

I noticed a huge difference between updates prior to 2022.8.3 / 2022.12.3 / 2022.12.3.1 for sure on my 2022 MYP.

Prior to those updates, AP was absolutely miserable and frankly dangerous...since then, it seems to be substantially better. I haven't used it enough to say it's "good" or "perfect" but definitely better. I'm still extremely wary of trusting it though because of all of my previous experiences with it.

Reactions: sckor and WyomingEV
wait I'm on 2022.4.5.21. I haven't been following SW releases since the xmas show update - how many versions behind am I?

A lot!

My 2022 Model 3 RWD came with 2022.8.2 back in late March. Your version was probably for late 2021 or very early 2022 cars.

1650943644561.png

Have to agree, I'm on 2022.8.3 and it's 99% better. I had a 2 lane road as part of my commute where it would 100% phantom brake when passing an 18-wheeler. I went on a 180 mile roundtrip a couple weeks ago. It was mostly two lane highways, including the commute stretch, and it never PB'd when passing rigs. I only had a single PB event, when the car slowed down without need as the road dipped down/decline.

I've started to regularly use TACC and Autopilot now and have nearly lost all my PTSD/puckering reflex when passing traffic.

Reactions: patnshan and voxel
Kind of an aside to the post, but on topic. PB is a concern of mine as I wait for my first Tesla, as I have lots of two-lane, winding roads where I live. But: does anyone know if there're any documented accidents caused by phantom breaking?
Trust that if there were any this forum would be lit up with conspiracy posts from top to bottom.