Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking from FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received FSD for a week and was really exciting to enjoy it. Unfortunately, yesterday when I was using the FSD to turn left at an intersection, a phantom brake appeared suddenly and the car behind me failed to react and crashed into each other, causing a rear-end collision. I don't know if this is unique to my car or a bug throughout all Tesla cars under SFD. How should it be handled? Although I have contacted the insurance company and sent it to the body shop for repair, I am worried that the body shop has no experience in checking other parts (such as batteries and sensors, etc.) except for body repair. Should I make an appointment with the Tesla service center for a comprehensive inspection?

About a year ago, my car was also happed to this phantom brake problem many times when using autopilot on the highway. Fortunately, there was no accident. However, drivers who were driving behind me honked their horns several times in protest. The bug might have been fixed in a software update, there have been no phantom stop problems with autopilot on high speed in recent times. It looks that SFD software needs to be improved in this area to avoid accidents.

I just received FSD for a week and was really exciting to enjoy it. Unfortunately, yesterday when I was using the FSD to turn left at an intersection, a phantom brake appeared suddenly and the car behind me failed to react and crashed into each other, causing a rear-end collision. I don't know if this is unique to my car or a bug throughout all Tesla cars under SFD. How should it be handled? Although I have contacted the insurance company and sent it to the body shop for repair, I am worried that the body shop has no experience in checking other parts (such as batteries and sensors, etc.) except for body repair. Should I make an appointment with the Tesla service center for a comprehensive inspection?

About a year ago, my car was also happed to this phantom brake problem many times when using autopilot on the highway. Fortunately, there was no accident. However, drivers who were driving behind me honked their horns several times in protest. The bug might have been fixed in a software update, there have been no phantom stop problems with autopilot on high speed in recent times. It looks that SFD software needs to be improved in this area to avoid accidents.
I would have taken it to a Tesla service center first....get them to review everything and give you a quote for the damages and give it to your insurance company....if it was the other guys fault, I would demand Tesla repair it and use Tesla parts.....I know some insurance companies will send you to their shops, but make sure they are Tesla certified..

I found out early last year that only Tesla Certified shops can order parts to repair Teslas. I have State Farm and none of the “preferred shops” in my area were Tesla Certified. I believe the Tesla website lists all the certified repair shops.

With that said it’s been a pain getting the Model X properly diagnosed by Tesla. The insurance company wants estimates and documentation from Tesla of any issue that can’t be fixed. The service centers are so busy it’s hard to get in (the X was in the shop from Feb to Aug and back to the shop a few times since).

When we first purchased ours over a year ago, never had an issue with the car driving with cruise control or in FSD. After having the car about cause two wrecks by suddenly slamming on the breaks on the interstate and on a hwy. in the last 4 months or so we don't dare use either. Seems like Tesla released their version of Windows Vista, (complete crap update. )
Is there anywhere I can get info from Tesla about the issues or

...Is there anywhere I can get info from Tesla about the issues or...
Most likely, the most you can get from Tesla is something like the system works as intended with no repairs needed.

However, if you submit your report to NHTSA, they can obtain the real data from Tesla from your VIN and your date of incidences so you can find out what happened:

• Informative
Reactions: DeepFrz
I agree, report this to NHTSA. You or you insurance company can get any data Tesla has through a court order or Police Subpoena (court order). Your attorney can do this through the court. Also, your dashcam videos will be useful.

The problem is Tesla lists FSD as Beta to cover themselves. I've had phantom braking in my S on the highway, it's never fun. I have FSD and would not use it on city streets for that reason. Tesla is using customers to beta test their system and leaving the liability on the customer if an accident occurs by claiming it's still in beta. Unfortunately if you slam your brakes on for no reason, you can be found partially at-fault for the accident if you get rear ended. Theoretically everyone should be leaving enough distance between themselves and the car in front, but if you randomly slam on your brakes for no reason, you will be found partially responsible for causing the accident.
You should only be using a Tesla certified body shop for the repairs.

This's is alpha testing. Beta is usually reserved for production release candidate versions, assuming only minor incidental tweaks, not wholesale changes (separate city and highway stacks, are you kidding me? Beta, my a%%.) I think it's totally unethical to release it this widely. From what I've seen, FSD Beta should only be used by paid professionals, employed by Tesla, under controlled situations.

And no, if it's 99.9% fine, that's not OK. The only thing that matters is how it handles unexpected edge cases. That's what kills us, FSD or not, and that's the true value proposition FSD needs to deliver. Fix the edge cases first, all the ways we crash. Then do the easy part (and even that's not that easy, apparently).