Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree the braking is getting worse. Particularly with vans and lorries - if you are passing them and they drift slightly to your side it will slam on the brakes, even though they stay within their lane. The other thing causing it is when you go under a motorway bridge and their is no hard shoulder, so the crash barrier comes from further away to right next to you, the car braked very hard on the A1 on this.
My temporary solution is to keep your foot on the accelerator when you think this is about to happen, a bit of a push on it will override the braking.

The third thing, which I think is just poor programming, is when you pull out to overtake something, that car begins slowing down as if you are driving straight towards them, and only accelerates again once you are fully in the outside lane. Best way to avoid this is to pull out much earlier. I used VW's TACC in a Polo and it actually does the right thing and starts to speed up as you're pulling out. Annoying that Tesla with all its software can't seem to get these simple things right.

If I were to guess, I'd say they are concentrating so much on trying to get FSD working and on roundabouts etc, that they've forgotten about the normal use-cases which we are all using every day.

Reactions: Rustybkts
On my Passat and BMW - 2 most recent cars with radar active cruise - when you indicated to overtake it would override the tendency to start braking if you hadn’t quite pulled out early enough to start overtake - thus assuming you as the driver were in charge of the decision. Worked great.

The Tesla system still tries to slow you down as you are half way into the next outward lane and sometimes more than half way. It’s rubbish, not in any way “traffic aware”. Total Arse-Gravy Cruise Control.

Just copied this from my earlier post in the software update thread so apologies but it is better here....

I had a mighty phantom braking moment driving down the A9 from the Aviemore area.
We were following two cars at 60mph using AP when the lead car indicated and moved into a turning right lane in the centre of the road.

The car in front and I carried on at the same speed but I dropped from 60 to around 30 rapidly as I reached the car turning right!

Luckily, the camper van behind was a good few lengths away.

I can only assume that because the turning right lane was on a slow RH bend, somehow the radar became confused even though the
AP blue lines showed the car outside them.

The rest of the journey down the M74 and M6 was virtually faultless apart from the odd speed twitch passing trucks.

They really do need to sort this as I was close to a serious rear shunt had the following camper van been closer.

Do Tesla receive these close calls as all automatic braking should get referred to them as a matter of course or they will never bottom the problem.

Breaking Bad II: The Tesla Factor.

Seriously, my wife won't let me run in AP mode when she is in the car. The phantom braking scares her.
Keep in mind she's no stranger to Automatic Emergency Braking or AutoSteering systems. For me it's just a matter of embarrassment. I cover the throttle when other cars are around. Sort of defeats the purpose of TACC.

Yes I said throttle. Sometimes I want to throttle it.

Me too. I used to have a bumper sticker (in the 90's) saying "Keep your distance - I brake for no reason". I never had the guts to place it on my bumper...now where did I put it? Now I would put it next to "Condensation in lights as standard" or " Please be aware paint may fall off"
TAILGATERS BEWARE! I BRAKE FOR NO REASON Novelty Bumper Sticker/Decal funny cars | eBay

Last edited:
The more time I spend with autopilot the more I realise how far we are from fsd. Today there were 2 incidences where I could see a situation that the car was incapable of foreseeing.

As far as I know the car doesn’t yet detect other cars indicating. Nor can it detect and react to emergency vehicles. Like others have said, Tesla can’t even get auto lights or auto wipers to operate properly. Must admit I’ve lost faith in their ability to deliver on this.

Dont get me wrong I don’t regret buying and am enjoying ownership. It’s just the self driving claims...

I feel it's getting worse rather than better. I had half a dozen PBs yesterday, with a couple quite violent and for no apparent reason.
Yet I had to brake in traffic when the cars in front - quite a long way in front - stopped at lights whereas my car was coming up rather fast on the stationary line without any appearance of slowing. It MIGHT have braked but I'm not that brave, and in any case it would be far more violent than necessary.

Reactions: Pagemakers
I just don't use and of the driver assist features unless I'm alone in the car. It's just too unpredictable and passengers get angry with me when it phantom brakes or aborts a lane change for no reason.

Last time I used it, I got two fairly severe phantom braking incidents on one 15 mile motorway journey.

Reactions: Pagemakers
2020.40.8. New Tesla 3

Short U.K. motorway drive today for about 30 minutes.

Had 3 phantom braking sessions. One severe while in the fast lane doing 80. Nothing whatsoever around me or over me to cause it to happen. Car behind me - normal distance.

Nothing short of bloody dangerous. In my last 4 years of owning a Tesla the phantom braking issue has never been worse.

Reactions: Wol747 and Sean.
Just got in from a 10Km drive - several PBs, including two violent ones: no reasons.

There will be a reason to the car, but given just how much more impressive AP rewrite is I doubt Tesla are going to bother putting any more effort into AP 2-2.5 hardware cars interms of AP development.

AP3.0 cars should get benefit of the AP code rewrite. Unless Tesla really play nasty and only release the new code to FSD cars.

in a way it's reassuring to know other 3 owners are still having PB issues - it seems worse since the last few months, starting to wonder if a camera was out of alignment or something. I just upgraded to 40.8 but still had one PB.

I feel like the S has less PB issues even though I upgraded it to MCU2/HW3 and the 3 is a HW 3 car already so both platforms should be identical now.

At long last. Mind you, would any other car manufacturer have been able to get away with having such a serious fault in an adaptive cruise control feature for so long?
It's great if it's been fixed, but this saga should never have been allowed to go on for so long, especially as TACC/ACC/whatever is something that is a pretty standard feature in many cars now.

Reactions: Hurricane
Call me a pessimist but I think it’s a bit early to make the claim that phantom braking has been entirely eliminated. And we don’t know how the rewritten software will cope on UK roads. It’s a very promising start though.

Now, what about the crappy windshield wipers and crappy auto headlights? Has the new software cured these after several years?

Reactions: browellm and Wol747
Yea, not so soon... which fits in with the NN's for FSD rewrite not being too dissimilar to 2020.40.8 currently rolling. How and why did the recent regression (2020.36.x) in phantom braking occur?

https://twitter.com/brandonee916/status/1319791532988190721

upload_2020-10-24_10-0-18.png