Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have absolutely no confidence that Tesla can achieve FSD on British roads with the current hardware and new beta software. I’d love to be proved wrong but I really don’t think I will be. Achievable on limited roads such as motorways, but it won’t be able to cope with the complexity of city environments.

At least, as far as I know, the Musk hasn’t made any more impossible to achieve predictions recently. He’s been so disastrously wrong in the past I don’t know why people give him any credibility.

I bought “FSD” and I consider it to be a complete waste of money. At present it offers very little additional functionality over standard AP. The hope, of course, is that added functionality in the future will make it a worthwhile investment. Frankly I doubt it. I have no confidence in a company that is incapable of fixing my crap windscreen wipers and crap auto headlights.

I took my Model 3 to work yesterday for its first commute. It’s a 200 mile round trip, pretty much all of it A1/A14/M11 so I thought it was a good time to use TACC.

On the way, I only had one incident of phantom braking as I was passing a lorry (I was in the middle lane of 3). The lorry was veering towards the centre line quite a lot on both the screen and in person but the braking was very sharp.

On the way home, I was at the point of wanting to give the car back! Multiple times it did the lorry braking but this time although the lorry was veering on screen it wasn’t in person!

However, my biggest issue was that although the TACC was set to 70mph, there wasn’t any traffic around me, it randomly kept changing to 45mph, and at one point It went to 25mph! I was lucky the road was empty really as these could have caused major pileups!

For reference I also have an XC90 with the Volvo Pilot Assist, and although the Tesla is so much better at the lane keeping, the Volvo Adaptive Cruise Control is brilliant and I have never had any issues whatsoever!

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I took my Model 3 to work yesterday for its first commute. It’s a 200 mile round trip, pretty much all of it A1/A14/M11 so I thought it was a good time to use TACC.

simon, you picked probably the worst roads ever to experience this. The A14 has been rerouted majorly amd the map data is so out of date it doesn’t know. That slowing down repeatedly is because the car has no idea what the limit is. I’ve tested this several times now.

as a rule of thumb (and to identify true phantom braking incidents) if there’s no speed limit indicated on the screen, the car may as well be driving across a field and will constantly use random roads crossing/nearby etc to try and set its speed. Do that route again and on the stretch of A14 between the A1 and the M11, you’ll see there’s no speed limit shown on the display for big chunks of it. We need an underlying map data update urgently as they’re still 2019 if I’m not mistaken.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Is this the last chance saloon maybe?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1364480679019429888

upload_2021-2-25_18-14-27.png

Physical world and AI.
Two terms I thought mutually exclusive
In twenty years I haven’t yet fully trained the wife to switch lights off

I fitted a mix of PIR and doppler radar switches in rooms where the lights used to get left on. Works fine, although you can find yourself in a blackout in the downstairs loo if you sit motionless for a few minutes. Easy fix is to remember to wave your arms every couple of minutes . . .

So, normal biweekly commute back from Chester this evening (160 miles) - first time in the dark for a long while though.

It was verging on ridiculous, must have been in double figures the number of violent incidents that occurred.

why don’t Tesla admit defeat and just alter the system to a regular cruise control, surely that can’t be that difficult can it?

I am supposed to be ordering the Tesla 3 today. But this thread has put me off at the moment I love traffic assist on other cars but this sounds terrible. My Troc has false positives now and again which can be annoying so can’t imagine what it’s like to have this all the time.

I am supposed to be ordering the Tesla 3 today. But this thread has put me off at the moment I love traffic assist on other cars but this sounds terrible. My Troc has false positives now and again which can be annoying so can’t imagine what it’s like to have this all the time.
You’ll be waiting a VERY long time for this to get fixed. It’s been going on for years.

Order and you’ll still love the car!

I'm waiting for my M3 LR to be delivered and of June and came across this issue. Last post was march, I presume it is still a "thing" and people have just stopped posting or have recent cars improved?
I’ve had Tesla’s for 5 years now. No it hasn’t improved. I think it’s gotten worse.

However, apart from that and the wipers (see other thread). I love my car and wouldn’t swap it for the world.

Yup still a thing. I sort of expect it when travelling through motorway roadworks and passing a lorry - car very sensitive to any movement from the lorry and it's response is to slow down.

The sporadic slow down for no reason events are a bit disconcerting i.e. no bridges, no other cars nearby and it brakes.

On balance though for my recent 220 mile motorway journey it's still worth using AP. You do get to destination more relaxed than without (especially when the M6 is involved).

Agree with everybody who say it's unacceptable, my old E-Class could do it better. Bring on the software rewrite that's about to hit us apparently.

Last edited: