Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking- how to deal with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie/lurker here. Will probably be ordering a Model Y in the next year or so and am wondering what the best way is to deal with the Phantom Braking phenomenon.

What I've seen so far is-
1). keep you foot on the accelerator
2). follow another car
3). don't use it on 2 lane highways
4). don't us autopilot at all

Any other ideas?

Seems that owners still like the Tesla despite the PB issues. Does anyone disagree?
* I'm supposing that if they do they wouldn't be on this forum.

Thanks!

r2

I have a Y and have experienced phantom braking every time I drive. Sometimes for no apparent reason and other when I’m approaching an overpass, which casts a dark shadow on the road. It also brakes for green and yellow traffic signals. I travel in the DC area on the beltway and GW expressway. Now I drive with my foot on the gas to offset this very dangerous glitch. Happens in both autopilot and FSB.

I have a Y and have experienced phantom braking every time I drive. Sometimes for no apparent reason and other when I’m approaching an overpass, which casts a dark shadow on the road. It also brakes for green and yellow traffic signals. I travel in the DC area on the beltway and GW expressway. Now I drive with my foot on the gas to offset this very dangerous glitch. Happens in both autopilot and FSB.
What does your other post say?

When you see a semi approaching, cover the gas pedal with foot, and when the car beeps, hit the gas.

6. Don’t believe everything you read on internet.

Meh. We've driven the same 7.5 mile stretch between our kid's town and the interstate four times. Had 10 braking+beeping events. Not particularly hilly, all during the daytime. Speed dropped to 45 the first time we met a semi, then we learned to fight back :) . That first time, a pickup behind us braked hard and went onto the shoulder (no lockup, but I bet they were probably unhappy). Then we learned, So far, it's panicked at the sight of 7 out of 8 semis, plus two pickup trucks.

When you see a semi approaching, cover the gas pedal with foot, and when the car beeps, hit the gas.

Meh. We've driven the same 7.5 mile stretch between our kid's town and the interstate four times. Had 10 braking+beeping events. Not particularly hilly, all during the daytime. Speed dropped to 45 the first time we met a semi, then we learned to fight back :) . That first time, a pickup behind us braked hard and went onto the shoulder (no lockup, but I bet they were probably unhappy). Then we learned, So far, it's panicked at the sight of 7 out of 8 semis, plus two pickup trucks.

But now that you've written it on the internet... Well it can't be true.