Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking in my new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife and I are in the Temple, Texas area, just above Austin. I have had my Model 3 now for two years and love it. I experienced initial phantom braking with it but has virtually all been cleaned up with subsequent updates. However,,,,the wife just took delivery after thanksgiving of her Model Y. Our main tripping is between here and Houston (grandkids). Another great ride but the phantom braking is worse than I saw with the 3. But it is consistent,,,,,only when we meet an 18'wheeler in the adjacent oncoming lane. Really bad. Anyone else seeing this? Am I right,,,being a new tesla out of Fremont,,,that it comes with Tesla Vision (and w/o radar)? If so,,,there needs to be an update. Just wanted feedback from other recent new owners.

Also,,,,hate to not have my finger on the Tesla pulse that most do,,,,but are Fremont Y's shipping with the new 3 part cast frames and with 4680 batteries? (Or will that only be coming out of Texas when up and running?)

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPad

Reactions: gforce2002
I also own a November delivery Model Y (Late 2021 VIN) with No FSD, Running 2021.44.30. I have driven 1200 miles. I drive primarily on two lane roads.... when I try to use the adaptive cruise control on two lane roads I get phantom braking when large vehicles (RVs, 18 wheelers, some pickups) are approaching from the opposite direction in the other lane. Sorta scary when it occurs, and I'm sure the drivers who are following directly behind me think I'm an idiot because of the car's irrational braking behavior.

I also own a November delivery Model Y (Late 2021 VIN) with No FSD, Running 2021.44.30. I have driven 1200 miles. I drive primarily on two lane roads.... when I try to use the adaptive cruise control on two lane roads I get phantom braking when large vehicles (RVs, 18 wheelers, some pickups) are approaching from the opposite direction in the other lane. Sorta scary when it occurs, and I'm sure the drivers who are following directly behind me think I'm an idiot because of the car's irrational braking behavior.
I'm experiencing exactly the same issue and also have a November delivery 2021 Model Y. I haven't yet determined if it's just the oncoming truck or whether the sun angle producing an oncoming shadow in my lane is confusing it. But yes, the phantom breaking is scary bad in those situations and I'm afraid to use it on two lane roads now.

I haven't tried it again since the recent software updates. Here's hoping!

Oncoming rigs on two lane highways are the #1 cause of my phantom breaking events, had one drop me from 65 to 45 quite suddenly this weekend. #2 cause is some combination of shadows on the road and slight inclines.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I've had this issue too on my MY, delivered late Oct 21. When I suspect phantom braking to occur, I do one of two things depending on the traffic.

1. Light traffic. I position my foot over the accelerator and at the first hint of phantom braking, I override the braking with input with the accelerator.
2. In heavier traffic. I turn off the cruise control and modulate my speed manually. It was hard to maintain a steady speed at first, but with practice it became easier. Looking forward to a software fix for this.

I have a model y October delivery and this happens all the time. I just got home from a 7 hour round trip service appointment at Watertown Mass. for this problem. They said there is nothing wrong with the car. On the way home less than an hour from the repair center it happened again hard. I have a 60K car that I cant use the cruise control. I do not know how to proceed but we should all file a complaint with the NTSB. This is dangerous and on somewhat slippery roads the car can lose control when this happens.

I am just now looking all of your responses. Not happy to see that all of you are experiencing the same phantom braking but it helps especially if we decide to put in another service ticket (just to speak with the tesla tech folks). To add to my original post,,,,we see the primary (in nearly 100% of the same situations) phantom braking issues when we meet 18 wheelers. {there are a few of the standard causes as all of you mention but the biggie is when meeting 18 wheelers}. And DogtownTx,,,,we agree,,,,the first few times being knocked down from 65-70 to 45 is a scare. Yes,,,we have learned to deal with it but it is not right. And also, for clarity, we see it while in AutoSteer and in plan Cruise.

Keep the thread hopping my friends. We love our Tesla's but this needs attention. (Again,,,my two year old Model 3 is pretty much absent of any sort of phantom braking,,,,"something" is different:)

I have a 2022 Model 3 LR AWD and with the same software version and I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Semi trucks make it brake the hardest, but I've even had just random phantom braking for no reason. It also gets worse at night time, almost impossible to leave it on cruise or autopilot at night without causing a crash with the car behind me.

I once had a Lexus that was involved in minor front end collision and got the right side bumper/grill pushed in a little. Since the radar is mounted in the front grill, this effectively caused the radar aim a tad bit to the right instead of straight in front of the car. This was enough to track the cars in the next lane on the right and occasionally do phantom braking.
I am wondering if the Tesla phantom braking is caused by slight off centering of the windshield or imperfect attachment of the camera to the windshield. It may be software related in Tesla but not having a camera aiming straight ahead was enough to confuse an otherwise rock solid Lexus software, so it a possibility.

Wife and I are in the Temple, Texas area, just above Austin. I have had my Model 3 now for two years and love it. I experienced initial phantom braking with it but has virtually all been cleaned up with subsequent updates. However,,,,the wife just took delivery after thanksgiving of her Model Y. Our main tripping is between here and Houston (grandkids). Another great ride but the phantom braking is worse than I saw with the 3. But it is consistent,,,,,only when we meet an 18'wheeler in the adjacent oncoming lane. Really bad. Anyone else seeing this? Am I right,,,being a new tesla out of Fremont,,,that it comes with Tesla Vision (and w/o radar)? If so,,,there needs to be an update. Just wanted feedback from other recent new owners.

Also,,,,hate to not have my finger on the Tesla pulse that most do,,,,but are Fremont Y's shipping with the new 3 part cast frames and with 4680 batteries? (Or will that only be coming out of Texas when up and running?)

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPad
There are multiple threads about this behavior.

I've had this issue too on my MY, delivered late Oct 21. When I suspect phantom braking to occur, I do one of two things depending on the traffic.

1. Light traffic. I position my foot over the accelerator and at the first hint of phantom braking, I override the braking with input with the accelerator.
2. In heavier traffic. I turn off the cruise control and modulate my speed manually. It was hard to maintain a steady speed at first, but with practice it became easier. Looking forward to a software fix for this.
Another possibility that I have found lessen's the issue. IF you can, on long stretches, follow a car (I maintain about 6-7 car lengths because what is the difference in getting you to your destination?). Have the car you are following going about the same speed you want to go more or less while on cruise control. I find the cameras are focusing on the car ahead and following its actions (at least in regard to speed) rather than thinking about cars on other lanes that can "spook it" - especially semis. I have yet to have phantom braking when using this method, but I'm always vigilant just in case and you should be as well.

I really hope Tesla will address this phantom braking when using TACC. Perhaps it would be possible to develop a software update which adds a toggle in the UI so the driver can toggle on/off basic old cruise control (CC), toggle on/off traffic aware cruise control (TACC) and toggle on/off (TACC with Auto Steer). They could probably also change the feature so when you pull the stock down once it enables (basic cruise control) pull it down twice enables (TACC) and pull it down a three times adds (TACC with Auto Steer). That way when us mainly two lane road drivers can at least use basic old cruise control.

Reactions: Nolakai
Another possibility that I have found lessen's the issue. IF you can, on long stretches, follow a car (I maintain about 6-7 car lengths because what is the difference in getting you to your destination?). Have the car you are following going about the same speed you want to go more or less while on cruise control. I find the cameras are focusing on the car ahead and following its actions (at least in regard to speed) rather than thinking about cars on other lanes that can "spook it" - especially semis. I have yet to have phantom braking when using this method, but I'm always vigilant just in case and you should be as well.
Does it help on two lane roads? This is a great point you are making.

Probably already known but most people experiencing phantom breaking issues have the model 3 and y's without radar. That's post March 21' builds and on. I've hardly seen this reported for anyone with an older car.
I’m fairly certain that’s untrue. I have a late 20 YP with radar though I still don’t think that matters. Some time ago they stopped using input via software for radar so it wouldn’t matter if the hardware was there or not. There Not doing multiple versions of software for years for radar equipped and not versions. They simply don’t Use the hardware yet it’s become misguided forum crutch to analyze

Reactions: DrGriz
I’m fairly certain that’s untrue. I have a late 20 YP with radar though I still don’t think that matters. Some time ago they stopped using input via software for radar so it wouldn’t matter if the hardware was there or not. There Not doing multiple versions of software for years for radar equipped and not versions. They simply don’t Use the hardware yet it’s become misguided forum crutch to analyze
Model 3 and Y with radar have very few phantom braking events. It's the cars without radar that are the liability.