Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking in my new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only done a little testing so far, but my experience is consistent with what @DrGriz reported. Deactivating Autosteer (Beta) makes TACC much more stable. I drove home in the rain last night with no TACC problems at all.
Got updated to 2022.4.5.17 yesterday. Looking forward to seeing if that helps as reported.
Also, driving with your passenger tires next to the fog line (basically right of center) helps a lot. Autosteer keeps you locked in the middle of the lane.

Got updated to 2022.4.5.17 yesterday. Looking forward to seeing if that helps as reported.
Also, driving with your passenger tires next to the fog line (basically right of center) helps a lot. Autosteer keeps you locked in the middle of the lane.
Took a 20 mile ride. First half on dual lane, no lane markings. Put it in TACC, First vehicle I encountered was a large white truck pulling a large white trailer. It was on the inside of a fairly curve taking it's half out of the middle and I got a hard brake. Appropriately. After that, no episodes at all despite the lack of lane markings. Then went onto the marked highway (65-55 mph) and turned on both TACC and Autosteer. No events whatsoever.

I need a little more time to be absolutely sure how much, but this is clearly improved.

Got 2022.8.2 update and now MY is freaking out and slow neighborhood turns, start beeping and applies corrective steering. Already happened twice in different places.
I am sure if I had FSD I would be flagged as dangerous driver.
Not sure what it sees now and what freaks it out.

Wife and I are in the Temple, Texas area, just above Austin. I have had my Model 3 now for two years and love it. I experienced initial phantom braking with it but has virtually all been cleaned up with subsequent updates. However,,,,the wife just took delivery after thanksgiving of her Model Y. Our main tripping is between here and Houston (grandkids). Another great ride but the phantom braking is worse than I saw with the 3. But it is consistent,,,,,only when we meet an 18'wheeler in the adjacent oncoming lane. Really bad. Anyone else seeing this? Am I right,,,being a new tesla out of Fremont,,,that it comes with Tesla Vision (and w/o radar)? If so,,,there needs to be an update. Just wanted feedback from other recent new owners.

Also,,,,hate to not have my finger on the Tesla pulse that most do,,,,but are Fremont Y's shipping with the new 3 part cast frames and with 4680 batteries? (Or will that only be coming out of Texas when up and running?)

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPad
We’re having the phantom braking with both our model Ys. Terrifying. And unless they rent cars for us until the issue is resolved, a real deal breaker for us.

6 weeks on with a shiny new M3LR.

The first time phantom braking happened, a week after I got the M3, it was an oncoming 18 wheeler on a 60 mph speed limit, 2 lane highway. The M3 went from 60 to 30 instantly, anything not tied down flew forward, and I was lucky to not get a seat belt bruise. The M3 has good brakes, but this is not the way to find that out. I pulled off the highway as soon as I could, was quite shaken, and it took 15 minutes to calm down. If someone had been behind me and collided, it would have knocked the M3 into water - both sides of the highway were river/lake, and I suspect an M3 would sink like a stone (well, battery...)

The TACC is practically useless on 2 lane highways, and night is worse. Sometimes it slows 1-5 mph for no reason, and other times, the full blown beep, beep, beep and hard braking. I don't dare use TACC on a 2 lane highway if someone is behind me.

Please, just give me a dumb cruise control mode, and ignore the cameras. If I chose to drive into a brick wall at 65 mph, that's on me.

I filed a complaint at the NHTSB, and suggest everyone do the same. It only takes a few minutes. You can ask that they not identify you personally to Tesla - be a bummer if Tesla got mad and bricked your car for revenge.

Although I really like the M3, this is an obvious safety defect. I don't want to go through my state's lemon law to force Tesla to buy the car back, but I will if they don't fix it.

6 weeks on with a shiny new M3LR.

The first time phantom braking happened, a week after I got the M3, it was an oncoming 18 wheeler on a 60 mph speed limit, 2 lane highway. The M3 went from 60 to 30 instantly, anything not tied down flew forward, and I was lucky to not get a seat belt bruise. The M3 has good brakes, but this is not the way to find that out. I pulled off the highway as soon as I could, was quite shaken, and it took 15 minutes to calm down. If someone had been behind me and collided, it would have knocked the M3 into water - both sides of the highway were river/lake, and I suspect an M3 would sink like a stone (well, battery...)

The TACC is practically useless on 2 lane highways, and night is worse. Sometimes it slows 1-5 mph for no reason, and other times, the full blown beep, beep, beep and hard braking. I don't dare use TACC on a 2 lane highway if someone is behind me.

Please, just give me a dumb cruise control mode, and ignore the cameras. If I chose to drive into a brick wall at 65 mph, that's on me.

I filed a complaint at the NHTSB, and suggest everyone do the same. It only takes a few minutes. You can ask that they not identify you personally to Tesla - be a bummer if Tesla got mad and bricked your car for revenge.

Although I really like the M3, this is an obvious safety defect. I don't want to go through my state's lemon law to force Tesla to buy the car back, but I will if they don't fix it.
Congratulations on your new car. And I assume welcome to the forum as well. Had you been reading/participating in this and other fora for any time, you would have been widely exposed to phantom braking by those who whine that it happens frequently, whine that it happens less frequently, and whine about the other whiners because it doesn’t happen to them at all. NOTE: I’m in the first set of whiners. Many early phantom braking events were poor false positive interpretations of overpasses, signs, and the like. The software for the most part takes those into account now and few events of this type are now reported. Still problematic are the braking events you experienced with some of us seeing them and others not, truly a situation where YMMV.

Given your car’s penchant for phantom braking, you will likely want to avoid using TACC on 2-lane roads under certain conditions: passengers and/or pets in the vehicle (their reactions are unkind, but colorful), when someone is tailgating you and brake-checking might get you into a road rage situation, and when you forgot to pack a fresh set of tightie-whities for the trip.

Many of us have asked for dumb cruise control for years…I do not see that ever happening unless NHTSA or other regulatory body mandates it…also unlikely.

And again, welcome!

Reactions: laservet
Congratulations on your new car. And I assume welcome to the forum as well. Had you been reading/participating in this and other fora for any time, you would have been widely exposed to phantom braking by those who whine that it happens frequently, whine that it happens less frequently, and whine about the other whiners because it doesn’t happen to them at all. NOTE: I’m in the first set of whiners. Many early phantom braking events were poor false positive interpretations of overpasses, signs, and the like. The software for the most part takes those into account now and few events of this type are now reported. Still problematic are the braking events you experienced with some of us seeing them and others not, truly a situation where YMMV.

Given your car’s penchant for phantom braking, you will likely want to avoid using TACC on 2-lane roads under certain conditions: passengers and/or pets in the vehicle (their reactions are unkind, but colorful), when someone is tailgating you and brake-checking might get you into a road rage situation, and when you forgot to pack a fresh set of tightie-whities for the trip.

Many of us have asked for dumb cruise control for years…I do not see that ever happening unless NHTSA or other regulatory body mandates it…also unlikely.

And again, welcome!
Thank you, kind sir. Haven't had a chance to peruse much on the forums yet.

I live in a rural area, and other than the single E-W freeway, it's all 2 lane roads, many with 60 mph speed limits, some poorly marked. Guess I didn't do my research well enough before buying - if I had known, I may not have bought the M3. If Tesla can't even do cruise control right, makes me wonder...

I hope the NHTSB will force Tesla to fix it before anyone gets injured or killed.

Thank you, kind sir. Haven't had a chance to peruse much on the forums yet.

I live in a rural area, and other than the single E-W freeway, it's all 2 lane roads, many with 60 mph speed limits, some poorly marked. Guess I didn't do my research well enough before buying - if I had known, I may not have bought the M3. If Tesla can't even do cruise control right, makes me wonder...

I hope the NHTSB will force Tesla to fix it before anyone gets injured or killed.
Welcome. I, too live in a rural area. No limited access highways anywhere close. Read through this thread and learn what others have experienced.
What software version do you currently have? Along with others, the latest version I have resulted in a huge change in the TACC experience.

2022.8.2 I didn't notice any changes to the TACC in the release notes.
Tesla doesn't appear to publish every change they made in the release notes. This site often provides more info but also doesn't know about every change Tesla has made.

Reactions: jsight
My car is working better than ever on 2022.4.5.17
I just changed my car to standard updates from advanced as going to 2022.8.2 does not appear to be an improvement.
The last update changed my car from a phantom braking nightmare on my daily commute to the best car I have ever owned. I don't want that to change.
I'm thinking the same. Unless I get to skip 2022.8.2, and maybe that will be what happens, I want to skip it. :D

Wife drove 200 miles round trip yesterday on 2022.4.5.17. Winding, twisting roads with 2 passes to crest in both directions. She used both TACC and Autosteer, except where it wasn't rational, but most of the time.

No phantom brakes for oncoming traffic at all. One hard brake when she crested a summit and there was a car and trailer on the right side of the road on the other side of the summit. She would not have slowed (and she did power through it), but it was clear why the car did it. She was only using TACC at that moment.

I have heard of others having some hard brakes with cars on the right side of the road. Seems like another issue for them to fine tune.

Reactions: jsight and xls_
We’re having the phantom braking with both our model Ys. Terrifying. And unless they rent cars for us until the issue is resolved, a real deal breaker for us.
I have not been back to this thread since I started it in January,,,,but glad that I made it back today and saw your note Kgoddard 15. I feel your pain but I come you (and all others experiencing such scary phantom braking) with hope and good news. I think patience is the key here and give the Tesla (maturation) process time. Why do I say this,,,,if you all read my first post it will provide our initial experience with my wife's new Model Y. But now less than 4 months later,,,,it drives like a dream,,,what we all expect! And I really don't think that it is due to the over the air updates that we have had in that time period. I am sure many will scoff at what I am about to say,,,,but I fully believe what follows. I really think that every new Tesla off of the line comes to its new owner very much like a newborn child. Fully equipped but with specific needs yet to be learned. It comes very very safe to drive but in some respects a little too safe. The car matures as we experience these over cautious situations and learns from our accelerating through phantom braking or taking it out of auto steer. In time its immaturity is replaced with the reactions that we expect and do not decline. I have this gut feeling that this process is an inherent in the Tesla software but Tesla can't own up to it publically (nor do we want them to...... can you imagine what kind of stir this would cause in the non-Tesla community?). Gut feeling,,,,maybe it is based on all of the AI that Tesla is involved in that dovetails into FSD. What is some of my validation on this gut feeling. I also own a Model 3 delivery taken in December 2019. It too had a handful of driving quirks. Phantom braking but of a different flavor. Not quite as heart wrenching as the Model Y but to a new Tesla owner,,,,it was still scary. Guess what,,,,it resolved itself and now is a dream to drive. How does this prove my gut feeling? If these braking issues where fleet specific,,,,cars coming off the line after mine would have come off with the phantom braking issue resolved (based on fixes learned from earlier car deliveries). But no,,,,every new Tesla has immaturities (like the newborn baby scenario) that just have to be learned from real world driving.

I know,,,,the above may be a little far fetched,,,,but based on our two Tesla's I would like to think it has merit:). Time will tell. Please do not lose faith in the Tesla process,,,,I think it is the best around. Keep driving in Auto Steer and your job is to simply be aware of the situations that cause your phantom braking and be ready to press the accelerator through it. This action is noted by Tesla as a learning tool (These last two sentences were heard by my wife when she discussed the braking issue with a Tesla tech service person. Now,,,,what he did not say,,,was where the "learning" was taking place...............😊)

I have not been back to this thread since I started it in January,,,,but glad that I made it back today and saw your note Kgoddard 15. I feel your pain but I come you (and all others experiencing such scary phantom braking) with hope and good news. I think patience is the key here and give the Tesla (maturation) process time. Why do I say this,,,,if you all read my first post it will provide our initial experience with my wife's new Model Y. But now less than 4 months later,,,,it drives like a dream,,,what we all expect! And I really don't think that it is due to the over the air updates that we have had in that time period. I am sure many will scoff at what I am about to say,,,,but I fully believe what follows. I really think that every new Tesla off of the line comes to its new owner very much like a newborn child. Fully equipped but with specific needs yet to be learned. It comes very very safe to drive but in some respects a little too safe. The car matures as we experience these over cautious situations and learns from our accelerating through phantom braking or taking it out of auto steer. In time its immaturity is replaced with the reactions that we expect and do not decline. I have this gut feeling that this process is an inherent in the Tesla software but Tesla can't own up to it publically (nor do we want them to...... can you imagine what kind of stir this would cause in the non-Tesla community?). Gut feeling,,,,maybe it is based on all of the AI that Tesla is involved in that dovetails into FSD. What is some of my validation on this gut feeling. I also own a Model 3 delivery taken in December 2019. It too had a handful of driving quirks. Phantom braking but of a different flavor. Not quite as heart wrenching as the Model Y but to a new Tesla owner,,,,it was still scary. Guess what,,,,it resolved itself and now is a dream to drive. How does this prove my gut feeling? If these braking issues where fleet specific,,,,cars coming off the line after mine would have come off with the phantom braking issue resolved (based on fixes learned from earlier car deliveries). But no,,,,every new Tesla has immaturities (like the newborn baby scenario) that just have to be learned from real world driving.

I know,,,,the above may be a little far fetched,,,,but based on our two Tesla's I would like to think it has merit:). Time will tell. Please do not lose faith in the Tesla process,,,,I think it is the best around. Keep driving in Auto Steer and your job is to simply be aware of the situations that cause your phantom braking and be ready to press the accelerator through it. This action is noted by Tesla as a learning tool (These last two sentences were heard by my wife when she discussed the braking issue with a Tesla tech service person. Now,,,,what he did not say,,,was where the "learning" was taking place...............😊)
In that case, my model Y must be a prodigy! It learned not to phantom brake in one hour! Went from problems every drive to none at all.

I'm sure it is entirely coincidental that that hour contained a software update.

Such a smart little guy! And precocious!

Reactions: Bp25
In that case, my model Y must be a prodigy! It learned not to phantom brake in one hour! Went from problems every drive to none at all.

I'm sure it is entirely coincidental that that hour contained a software update.

Such a smart little guy! And precocious!
Hey,,,,children are all different:). Glad you had a better experience. It will be interesting to see the responses of others here. To see if the Tesla process has a common thread,,,,that the cars come to us with little issues that somehow get fixed by software updates or by working through them (with our interactions) or both.