Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking in my new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Phantom Braking will not go away as long as Tesla utilizes Tesla Vision as the only passive sensor of information. The inclusion of active sensors such as Radar or Lidar will mitigate the problem that Tesla Vision can't deal with on its own. Sorry for the bad news folks.
Do you find yourself randomly coming to an abrupt halt when you walk down the road as you suddenly perceive phantom objects appearing in front of you?

No? Then we can probably assume that judging distance accurately with optical sensors is ultimately possible.

Do you find yourself randomly coming to an abrupt halt when you walk down the road as you suddenly perceive phantom objects appearing in front of you?

No? Then we can probably assume that judging distance accurately with optical sensors is ultimately possible.
Are computers and machine learning techniques at all similar or equivalent to human cognition? No? Then we have no reason to believe your statement is true.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesoris
Are computers and machine learning techniques at all similar or equivalent to human cognition? No? Then we have no reason to believe your statement is true.
If you think that human cognition is required to avoid overrating to shadows then literally every other animal with eyes would like a word with you.

There’s far more reason to think it’s a solvable problem than there is to think that it isn’t.

If you think that human cognition is required to avoid overrating to shadows then literally every other animal with eyes would like a word with you.

There’s far more reason to think it’s a solvable problem than there is to think that it isn’t.
Fine, replace with animal cognition then. They are still not the same thing, not by a long shot. Sure, it might be possible some day, but it has not been demonstrated. And existence with animal nervous systems does not logically imply that it is going to be possible with current or near future computer technology.

Phantom Braking will not go away as long as Tesla utilizes Tesla Vision as the only passive sensor of information. The inclusion of active sensors such as Radar or Lidar will mitigate the problem that Tesla Vision can't deal with on its own. Sorry for the bad news folks.
Not my experience at all. Mine has radar and had significant phantom braking using radar, made a bunch of posts about all the issues. Now I’m on vision only and pb is almost completely gone.

Fine, replace with animal cognition then. They are still not the same thing, not by a long shot. Sure, it might be possible some day, but it has not been demonstrated. And existence with animal nervous systems does not logically imply that it is going to be possible with current or near future computer technology.
I wouldn't say that it has never been done:

Their camera setup is much better than Tesla's, though.

Reactions: charlesoris
my arcade friend will flip out if the Tesla phantom brakes. He will say I did it, I tell him the car did it. And he says I am blaming the car.

I explain what phantom braking is. He says I’m brake checking and trying get cars to rear end us even though most cases I disengage autopilot if phantom brakes did occur.

• Funny
Reactions: heapmaster
It seems that Tesla will be re-introducing Radar, albeit a much higher resolution one than before, coupled with hi-res 2 front cameras.
I want them to retrofit, for free, the equipment it actually needs to have to eliminate the cursed PB I've experienced in my cars. I am surprised there isn't a class-action lawsuit yet... Maybe there is and I've missed it.

• Funny
Reactions: DanDi58
Just took my MY in for the second round of PB hoping I'd hear something positive. Not the case, same old BS from last year...the examples I.recorded and reported were nothing more than the car "seeing" gaps in the road markings and reacting by slowing down. As I told the rep, that is total BS since these events were recorded in clear weather, daytime, on I-10 in the AZ desert with no breaks in the road markings on either side of the car. Why can't he at least say "the system has bugs, driver beware" instead of insulting my intelligence with this line of crap? These service reps at the Temecula SC are worthless anyway.

Just took my MY in for the second round of PB hoping I'd hear something positive. Not the case, same old BS from last year...the examples I.recorded and reported were nothing more than the car "seeing" gaps in the road markings and reacting by slowing down. As I told the rep, that is total BS since these events were recorded in clear weather, daytime, on I-10 in the AZ desert with no breaks in the road markings on either side of the car. Why can't he at least say "the system has bugs, driver beware" instead of insulting my intelligence with this line of crap? These service reps at the Temecula SC are worthless anyway.
I feel for you. I am not sure what the tech can do at any SC since PB issues should be dealt with at the corporate level.

HW3 maybe safer than most of human driver, but still not good enough.
fitting HDradar makes it more capable to avoid any accident even a small object.
radar is a must have.
if tesla doesn't want to give out HDradar whom paid for FSD other competitor will catch up anytime soon. meaning FSD fail to deliver.
Elon said there won't be retrofit "15k and no future free upgrades? so why bother to pay FSD in full?"
Unless Elon plans to retrofit all paid FSD once FSD is fully functional (lvl5)

Imagine an infant or a baby in your car and it does phantom braking even you are under control of the car, it shocked your baby/infant(yes it will cause brain damage for those who doesn't know)
time to file a lawsuit for that matter.

Ever think that service rep is just plain dumb. You think they are insulting you because that is how you would treat others. That is a known psychological thought process.