Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking in my new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel for the Tesla techs in all this. There is no way they personally can fix PB when it is brought to them and there is nothing 'broken' with the car, but they can't just tell you "yeah sometimes the car with just try and cause an accident, be careful!"
This is true. I suspect most of us are used to going in for service to have oil changes, rattles, a/c, pulling to the left type problems addressed and these software issues are a whole new game. Tesla has overreached on these automated driving modes (beta) that people just haven’t had to deal with ‘til now. They need to put more emphasis on nailing down basic cruise and UI issues to satisfy their customers primary needs and minimizing complaints - it’s not like we’re not all used to FSD being kicked down the road regularly anyway. What’s another “two weeks” or “later this year”?.

Just took my MY in for the second round of PB hoping I'd hear something positive. Not the case, same old BS from last year...the examples I.recorded and reported were nothing more than the car "seeing" gaps in the road markings and reacting by slowing down. As I told the rep, that is total BS since these events were recorded in clear weather, daytime, on I-10 in the AZ desert with no breaks in the road markings on either side of the car. Why can't he at least say "the system has bugs, driver beware" instead of insulting my intelligence with this line of crap? These service reps at the Temecula SC are worthless anyway.
Phantom braking isn't something they can fix in a service appointment. Why would you assume that?

Reactions: howardnj
You all need to report your phantom breaking with NHTSA. mention accident or near miss accident to help raise it up to serious issue. give them a good description like 'semi truck next to vehicle, etc...' and if they can duplicate it Tesla will need to resolve it.

Reactions: smogne41
My friend will get so angry and accuse me of not being careful even though it was the Tesla autopilot that randomly braked for no reason. He will just assumed I (the human) intentionally braked super hard for no reason on the freeway.

If I blame the car, he is like "ohh ya it's the car's fault" sarcastically.

I'm sorry if this question has already been asked (this thread is too long for me to read right now and I don’t know what would be the correct search criteria).. I experienced my first PB event last week, here's what I noticed.. I was on the highway and had my autopilot speed set relative to the road speed limit which was 65mph at the time. During the phantom braking event I noticed that the road speed limit shown on the screen had changed, erroneously, to 40mph. Just prior to this I had observed that the arrow representing car on the nav system was showing me off the side of the road (OFF the highway!). The question is.. has anyone thought that the nav. system might think that the car had ACTUALLY left the highway and was driving at a crazy speed down a nearby road? The reason I ask is that the PB problem has been around for an awfully long time and everyone talks about 'invisible' hazards but considering all the reports it seems unlikely. From what I understand the car location is determined by cell signals, could that be part of the problem?

Anecdotally.. back in the days when navigation systems were new and the location accuracy was much poorer than it is today I had a Hertz rental car that was equipped with a 'state-of-the-art' (somewhat ironically named..) "Neverlost" system. I was driving on a highway near San Francisco and had no idea where I was but the nav. sudden asked me to 'return to the indicated route'. The map showed that I was off the highway and driving on a farm road that I could see off to my right. The system asked me a few times to return to the highway before it simply shut down! Fortunately it was unable to operate my brakes!

Since this happened I have changed my autopilot from being linked to the speed limit to the 'current speed' setting, we'll see whether that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: enemji
I'm sorry if this question has already been asked (this thread is too long for me to read right now and I don’t know what would be the correct search criteria).. I experienced my first PB event last week, here's what I noticed.. I was on the highway and had my autopilot speed set relative to the road speed limit which was 65mph at the time. During the phantom braking event I noticed that the road speed limit shown on the screen had changed, erroneously, to 40mph. Just prior to this I had observed that the arrow representing car on the nav system was showing me off the side of the road (OFF the highway!). The question is.. has anyone thought that the nav. system might think that the car had ACTUALLY left the highway and was driving at a crazy speed down a nearby road? The reason I ask is that the PB problem has been around for an awfully long time and everyone talks about 'invisible' hazards but considering all the reports it seems unlikely. From what I understand the car location is determined by cell signals, could that be part of the problem?
This isn't really the definition of PB. There are some instances where the car may pick up a speed limit from a road parallel to the highway, or perpendicular, etc, and then it will logically slow down. True PB incidents are when the speed limit indicated never changes but the car brakes dramatically due to (among other things) the shadow from an overpass, or a shadow from a vehicle next to you, or something completely unrelated to a speed limit change. IOW, nothing that should logically cause the car to slow.

Thanks for your thoughts. I still think that any slowing down on a highway for no apparent reason at all is unacceptable so to me it counts. I was trying to express that this problem has been around for a very long time and nobody seems to have found a logical reason for it. If it is possible for the car to change its behaviour even slightly, for a situation on a road that is not being travelled on, then there is scope for it to take emergency action too. All it would take is a few lines of bad code in the software, perhaps Tesla are looking in the wrong place.

Reactions: jsight
Thanks for your thoughts. I still think that any slowing down on a highway for no apparent reason at all is unacceptable so to me it counts. I was trying to express that this problem has been around for a very long time and nobody seems to have found a logical reason for it. If it is possible for the car to change its behaviour even slightly, for a situation on a road that is not being travelled on, then there is scope for it to take emergency action too. All it would take is a few lines of bad code in the software, perhaps Tesla are looking in the wrong place.
Well, this has been around for YEARS, it's not a new phenomenon. Like the crappy auto wipers, it gets better and worse as time goes along. Both are dependent on cameras, so it's not just a few lines of code to fix it, unfortunately.