Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking in my new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Complain to Tesla is what should be happening. I keep saying it, this isn't a waffle maker that we are being the test subjects for. Folks should be outraged with this sort of car behaviour. The more that complain to Tesla (and whatever authority governs auto safety in the US.. NHTSA) maybe at some point they will listen.

But I am genuinely curious, as I have no idea. Do non Tesla cars that have similar cruise control (what ever the auto pilot would be called) use cameras or radar or something else?
Subaru's Eyesight uses camera only/no radar. We have this and it works fine. Other systems use combinations. For instance, the Kia EV6 uses both forward facing camera and radar.

Complain to Tesla is what should be happening. I keep saying it, this isn't a waffle maker that we are being the test subjects for. Folks should be outraged with this sort of car behaviour. The more that complain to Tesla (and whatever authority governs auto safety in the US.. NHTSA) maybe at some point they will listen.

But I am genuinely curious, as I have no idea. Do non Tesla cars that have similar cruise control (what ever the auto pilot would be called) use cameras or radar or something else?
Though some (me) don’t feel this is a world ending event and rather enjoy the car. If it bothers you so much sell the car (if you actually have one, you don’t…) or continue complaining. I’m good.

Reactions: DanDi58 and WhiteWi
I'll look over the window tomorrow to see if there are any obstructions to the cameras. It could be some road grime or my gut feel it is a shadow that looks like a threat to the system.
In general, phantom braking is usually caused by the car misinterpreting a shadow as a threat. But it certainly could be impacted by some schmutz on the windshield impacting the camera. I'm not sure why some folks get so up in arms about this being a possibility. I mean, haven't you ever worn sunglasses with a fingerprint on them? How does that affect your vision? Same concept, especially if something like sap or bird poop hits that area and aren't easily removed by the wipers. I suspect Tesla mounted that camera at the top of the windshield specifically to avoid it getting covered with grime in a lower spot, but it can still be impaired by stuff.

Reactions: Yelobird
In general, phantom braking is usually caused by the car misinterpreting a shadow as a threat. But it certainly could be impacted by some schmutz on the windshield impacting the camera. I'm not sure why some folks get so up in arms about this being a possibility. I mean, haven't you ever worn sunglasses with a fingerprint on them? How does that affect your vision? Same concept, especially if something like sap or bird poop hits that area and aren't easily removed by the wipers. I suspect Tesla mounted that camera at the top of the windshield specifically to avoid it getting covered with grime in a lower spot, but it can still be impaired by stuff.
My experience doesn't jive with your shadow theory. Mostly it's large trucks approaching in the opposite lane. Car sees it as an obstacle in my lane and brakes. Nighttime too when shadows are few.

As a 2018 m3 owner with EAP and 2.5 MCU, living in Los Angeles, I get phantom braking at specific locations not random places. A coincidence, I think not.
Same. For me, going up the 110 and down the 110 there is one spot that hits the brakes hard every time. Mostly, I remember to disengage AP before then, but when I don't, sure gets the heart pumping!

• Funny
Reactions: tryangles
Do people expect this to get fixed any time soon? It has been roughly a year since radar was removed. I haven't taken delivery yet, but I'm leaning towards cancelling / transferring my order and getting a different car. It's too bad, I really like the car but not having a functioning cruise control makes it unsuitable for road trips. Tesla's charging infrastructure and its ability to support road trips was a big factor for me when I decided to order a Model Y.

Do people expect this to get fixed any time soon? It has been roughly a year since radar was removed. I haven't taken delivery yet, but I'm leaning towards cancelling / transferring my order and getting a different car. It's too bad, I really like the car but not having a functioning cruise control makes it unsuitable for road trips. Tesla's charging infrastructure and its ability to support road trips was a big factor for me when I decided to order a Model Y.
A fix if not found through software will take awhile it seems. It’s pretty clear Elon’s in no rush either. This is one of the reasons why I ended up buying a 2021 March build MYP last week. Aside from continued delivery delays, there was too much negative feedback here and other forums to ignore. Straight up autopilot is broken and arguably unsafe if you have a 3/Y built after May of last year. I figure a pre 5/21 build where you could get passenger lumbar, radar, and autopilot I could set to 1 car length distance was worth way more to me personally then the AMD chip and battery. To each their own though.

Would only recommend not believing everything you read on a forum. Omitting the dozen or so that continue beating the fear drum of the millions of owners it’s a bit over inflated. Have not had any issues personally like many that don’t post here.

Reactions: WhiteWi and xls_
Might I suggest that Tesla include a "Caution... vehicle brakes randomly for no apparent reason" bumper sticker with each car sold?

Problem solved! (Hey... at least give those drivers following us a fighting chance)

Not discounting all of the reports of phantom braking, but I've now had my Model Y Performance for six weeks and haven't experienced phantom braking once.

Not sure if that's due to luck, or if I'm simply a better "autonomous driving" driver then others on these boards....

Reactions: xls_ and WhiteWi
I wouldn't be too concerned regarding road trips. We have about 3,000 miles of road trips on our 2022 MYLR on mostly interstate and multi-lane divided highways and AP has been practically flawless in those scenarios. On two lane non-divided highways we have experienced minor slowdowns but nothing I would call severe.

Using FSD Beta around suburbia is another story though.

Reactions: xls_ and WhiteWi
Would only recommend not believing everything you read on a forum. Omitting the dozen or so that continue beating the fear drum of the millions of owners it’s a bit over inflated. Have not had any issues personally like many that don’t post here.
It's sitting at 248 phantom braking / FCA complaints across 2021-2022 Models 3 and Y in the first six weeks of this year alone, and that might be understated depending on how they're classified in the NHTSA system or overstated if people are submitting multiple complaints. I'm just going to complaints and filtering to complaints tagged against Forward Collision Avoidance

You can look at all the submissions here, just search for models

The 2020 Model Y has a grand total of 17 forward collision avoidance complaints to date when filtering on the same criteria, the 2022 Model Y already has like 5x as many

I would also like to add that maybe the method of camera calibration doesn't get discussed too often (maybe it does, I'm new). Being excited to pick up my first Tesla, I read pretty much all of the manual ahead of time. After learning the cameras needed calibration before AP could be used I payed close attention to that section in the manual specifically regarding the method of calibration:

To calibrate, cameras require highly-visible lane markings in both the driving lane and adjacent lanes (at least two lanes over on each side of the vehicle). For best results, drive in the middle lane of a multi-lane highway (ideally with at least five lanes) that has clear lane markings and minimal traffic.

I knew my pickup location was right off of an 6 lane divided interstate (3 lanes each way) so I figured that was the optimal location for calibration at least according to the manual. So I hopped on the interstate after pickup, got it the middle lane and stayed there until the calibration was complete.

I have no idea if this contributed to my overall lack of issues with AP but for those having trouble, what could it hurt to try and recalibrate the cameras using the "for best results" recommendation in the manual?

Reactions: Yelobird and xls_
I would also like to add that maybe the method of camera calibration doesn't get discussed too often (maybe it does, I'm new). Being excited to pick up my first Tesla, I read pretty much all of the manual ahead of time. After learning the cameras needed calibration before AP could be used I payed close attention to that section in the manual specifically regarding the method of calibration:

To calibrate, cameras require highly-visible lane markings in both the driving lane and adjacent lanes (at least two lanes over on each side of the vehicle). For best results, drive in the middle lane of a multi-lane highway (ideally with at least five lanes) that has clear lane markings and minimal traffic.

I knew my pickup location was right off of an 6 lane divided interstate (3 lanes each way) so I figured that was the optimal location for calibration at least according to the manual. So I hopped on the interstate after pickup, got it the middle lane and stayed there until the calibration was complete.

I have no idea if this contributed to my overall lack of issues with AP but for those having trouble, what could it hurt to try and recalibrate the cameras using the "for best results" recommendation in the manual?
I had been wondering about that as well. Thanks for bringing that up.

Not sure calibration would account for the difference between <2020 and 2021> models though, unless it makes more of an impact with the vision-only system. If that's the case, Tesla could probably push out a calibration OTA maybe?

Phantom braking is a problem to varying degrees across all driver-assist systems, what's really crazy is the massive uptick in 2021 and 2022 models

Though some (me) don’t feel this is a world ending event and rather enjoy the car. If it bothers you so much sell the car (if you actually have one, you don’t…) or continue complaining. I’m good.
Actually, I will keep the car and not use cruise control because it borders on gross negligence to use it knowing it could cause an accident because its a faulty system.

If people would instead file a complaint to the NHTSA vs having an attitude of "it is not a world ending event", "hasn't impacted me or my three friends therefore is 1% or less so not an issue" or "it's the car behind me who's fault it is for hitting me" then maybe Tesla would actually work faster on a fix.

There really is zero reason not to be very upset about a fairly basic function that has worked properly in cars for decades, yet Tesla can't get it right. Let alone in a car the cost of a 3 or Y.