Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking in my new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I will keep the car and not use cruise control because it borders on gross negligence to use it knowing it could cause an accident because its a faulty system.

If people would instead file a complaint to the NHTSA vs having an attitude of "it is not a world ending event", "hasn't impacted me or my three friends therefore is 1% or less so not an issue" or "it's the car behind me who's fault it is for hitting me" then maybe Tesla would actually work faster on a fix.

There really is zero reason not to be very upset about a fairly basic function that has worked properly in cars for decades, yet Tesla can't get it right. Let alone in a car the cost of a 3 or Y.
NHTSA is already investigating complaints.

"According to The Washington Post’s analysis, reports from Tesla owners about phantom braking to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) rose to 107 complaints in the past three months, compared with only 34 in the preceding 22 months"

The above quote is from an article from The Verge, Feb. 2, 2022.

Now 36 incidents per month isn't nothing, but how many Model 3 and Model Y's are on the road, and how many miles of FSD and AP driving have they done over the past three months?

I do realize that not every incident is reported to the NHTSA, but I would think that this figure gives us some idea of the frequency of Phantom Braking... again, I do realize that if and when it happens to you, it's very disconcerting... just suggesting that it be kept in perspective.

From what I've read, I'll probably refrain from using AutoPilot (I dont have FSD) on two lane highways... as for several lane freeways, I've used it for about six weeks on Los Angeles freeways, and so far, haven't had any incidents.

If I were to have a few incidents of PB... I'd probably give serious thought to not using it.

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi
After months of being PB free, I had a bad experience 10 days ago that almost caused an accident because the car behind me was following too close. We entered a gentle turn at 70 mph, it was damp and that's where the excitement came in, as I enter the turn (and there were no overpasses, signage, vehicles or shadow's near us) on AP my Y suddenly and very aggressively braked from 75 mph down to about 60 before I could mash the throttle. As I was looking in my mirror to see where the car was that was behind me, he must have performed an "emergency stop" and I saw his nose drop and then the car turn about 30 to 40 degrees sideways and back again before he caught it and straightened it out. Luckily there were no other vehicles near us.

He must have been pissed thinking I "braked checked" him and he caught up and passed me and as he did I caught hell - every hand signal known to man.

Please Tesla, no more games or toys until you fix this.

I do realize that not every incident is reported to the NHTSA, but I would think that this figure gives us some idea of the frequency of Phantom Braking... again, I do realize that if and when it happens to you, it's very disconcerting... just suggesting that it be kept in perspective.
Then you said:
If I were to have a few incidents of PB... I'd probably give serious thought to not using it.
I think this is why NHTSA number of complaints is not representative of actual numbers of occurrences. Most people don’t think of logging a formal complain, instead just stop using it. But going 3 folds from 34 in 22 months to 107 in 3 months should be the key figure to consider here. Whether it’s vision only, or software change, or something else we don’t know about, remains to be found. But PB tripled - no way to dispute that.

Made an account just to pitch in my experience. My daily commute is 98% highway on a two lane road. 2022 M3 absolutely horrible experience using cruise or autopilot. Doesn't make much of a difference. Sometimes it helps a little bit to disable autopilot and just use cruise and ride the shoulder of the road, but then again it only seems to help some of the time. Like others said most often it is caused by an oncoming semi, although quite frequently I've had it happen randomly with no vehicles in sight any direction. I mentioned it to tesla last time I got serviced when I was having issues with the auto wipers, basically I found that below -20 you can't use cruise control or autopilot because the wipers just come on full blast as heater for the sensor in the windshield can't keep up to the cold and just fogs up. I was hoping this was the cause of my phantom braking as well but now the temperatures are warm, the wipers are usually good, and the car still randomly brakes. They told me to record events causing it to happen and supply dashcam footage. Not sure how often it happens to you folk but I sucked it up for today and used my autopilot or cruise whenever I could on my drive today and here were my results:

Phantom Braking Events, January 27th:

11:44am Start driving
11:51am no nearby vehicles
11:56am oncoming semi
11:57am oncoming semi
11:59am oncoming semi
12:00pm oncoming semi
12:03pm oncoming semi
12:04pm oncoming semi
12:06pm oncoming semi
12:08pm oncoming semi
12:09pm oncoming semi
12:11pm no nearby vehicles
12;13pm oncoming semi
12:13pm oncoming semi
12:14pm oncoming semi
12:17pm oncoming semi
12:35 End driving

2:00pm Start driving
2:39pm oncoming pickup
2:42pm no nearby vehicles
2:47pm oncoming semi
2:55pm End driving

4:28pm Start driving
4:41pm oncoming pickup
4:53pm oncoming car
4:55pm glare from sun?
5:00pm oncoming pickup
5:01pm no nearby vehicles
5:15pm End driving

Is it really happening this much to everyone else in this thread or is there something even more wrong with my car? Two dozen times for a car to randomly slam on its brakes while attempting to use cruise control on your daily commute is a little disconcerting.
File a complaint with NHTSA. I did because Tesla service wasn't helpful at all. In fact, I sent them a video and the service guy said the road was too narrow, which pissed me off because he was just making excuses. Finally, he admitted that Tesla Vision is having issues. Which I understand, but don't lie to me. And in the past few days there has been quite a few news stories of the increasing NHTSA complaints. So Maybe Tesla will start working on a fix sooner than later.

There should be 3 settings implemented:

1 - Basic Cruise Control - for two lane roads and divided highways
2 - Traffic Aware Cruise Control - for divided highways
3 - Traffic Aware Cruise Control with Auto Steering - for divided highways

The problem is we model Y and 3 owners don't have option #1.
As far as I remember back in the days you weren’t supposed use cruise control on local roads bc of increased risk.

Reactions: ZenRockGarden
I calibrated my cameras today on a 2021 (November Delivery) Model Y LR vision only without FSD currently running 2022.4.5 on a two lane road. Headed out on a 350 mile trip tomorrow. Will travel on a mix of highway types (2-Lane Hwy, 4-Lane Hwy, Divided 4-Lane Hwy and some Interstate). Plan to use TACC and TACC with Autosteer except when entering small towns along the way. Will let you know how this trip goes with regards to phantom braking when large vehicles approach from the opposite direction.

Does it help on two lane roads? This is a great point you are making.
I have also found that the phantom braking problem on two land non-divided highways goes away when I am following another vehicle in my lane and the speed of my car is being matched to the car in front of me. In that situation the oncoming traffic does not seem to cause TACC to react at all.

Reactions: WhiteWi and xls_
Just finished a quick trip to Upstate NY, 95% highway and mostly on FSD - navigate on the highway function. Had one braking incident today, but I’ll call it quasi-phantom… going around a left-hand curve on I87, there was a van in the right-hand shoulder stopped. I was in the right lane and car braked hard as it spotted the van, then released the brake when it (I assume) it realized that it was in the shoulder, not the lane ahead of me. So I think the car had a valid reason to brake, then accelerated again after it realized the situation. Other than that, no issues.

It could be just luck but 2022.4.5.1 seems like it might be a little better with phantom braking. Going to give it more time to see if it's a fluke. My foot isnt happy hovering over the accelerator when cars are behind me.

The consequence is that AP will be OTA updated. AP feature will be kept to avoid lawsuits. But AP will be to not practicallu useful any more, or bad experience , etc. lol
Nah, they'll just get rid of the buggy TACC. They can go just off the car in front and it will cover 99% of what most people care about.... Its nice that the car can avoid someone merging into your lane, but thats something the driver can handle. Most people want a car that stays in its lane and follows the car in front of it up to a certain speed.

I had that on my 2010 Prius and it worked great. The lane keeping was rudimentary (could only have hands off wheel for 10sec). On my 2017 Prius (with openpilot... $800 aftermarket accessory), it behaves well. Completely let go of the wheel for hrs at a time. Great for long trips. The only thing is, the car wasnt designed for it, the steering angle sensor is only accurate to ~0.5deg, so on long curves, it can sawtooth in the lane. It never leaves the lane, but its nowhere near as buttery smooth as the Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi
I just had a phantom braking incident last weekend in my Model S with radar and FSD, it's not just a Y or 3 issue. I was on a 3 lane highway at night, luckily not too busy. Had the AP on going 75 mph and the car just phantom braked for no reason.
Definitely not something that should be happening and could be a serious safety issue. Even if a car isn't following too close, you don't expect someone to slam on the brakes in front of you going 75 without traffic or any other reason. Let alone the passengers in the car aren't expecting a full on slamming of the brakes either.

I have also found that the phantom braking problem on two land non-divided highways goes away when I am following another vehicle in my lane and the speed of my car is being matched to the car in front of me. In that situation the oncoming traffic does not seem to cause TACC to react at all.
Yes this is true. In my case it is a very consistent phantom braking event on non-divided highway. It's only trucks bigger & taller than pickup trucks that always cause it and if I am not following anyone the only way to not have any hard braking or slow downs is to anticipate the large truck coming and gently press the accelerator until it passes by. This eliminates the issue but should I not be on the accelerator when the truck is about to pass me then every time BAM phantom braking. I should get this on video because it is so consistent. How could Tesla not correct this?