Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking in my new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes this is true. In my case it is a very consistent phantom braking event on non-divided highway. It's only trucks bigger & taller than pickup trucks that always cause it and if I am not following anyone the only way to not have any hard braking or slow downs is to anticipate the large truck coming and gently press the accelerator until it passes by. This eliminates the issue but should I not be on the accelerator when the truck is about to pass me then every time BAM phantom braking. I should get this on video because it is so consistent. How could Tesla not correct this?
If this is so repeatable, you can consider recording it and file a complaint to NHTSA. Tesla will fix it when forced to.

Reactions: Threader
Handful complaints vs almost million cars sold last year is nothing to worry about. Judge by your own experience.

Good lord. Right, until it happens to someone you know or care about and they're seriously injured. How many folks do you think actually know to complain to the NHTSA vs those that just complain to their dealer? Or for that matter, how many haven't experienced it "yet" or in the right condition and therefore don't know the issue exist?

Heck, it's only 12 injuries and 1 death so far to boot on the FSD side, so nothing to worry about there either.

The fact that there are several hundred unique complaints is likely more than enough to require a recall and fix.

Reactions: frankvb and xls_
Ahh Tesla and radar. Phantom Breaking event happened for me 2 yrs back! - a couple times. Not since - for whatever reason. Coming from 3 yr old model 3 owner — I had to post today given the news out — Tesla’s radar-less cars investigated by NHTSA after complaints spike

It was so bad an experience that I had to post it here to vent out. Somethings with Tesla are odd.

Even though I like AP as the single best feature of Tesla - it’s DANGEROUS for anyone to be seeing unexpected braking - I cannot forget when it happened with family in tow.
What makes it weird is that I think my AWD 2019 model 3 should have radar. And something (software most likely) fixed it since. That also put paid to any excitement I had with FSD and full automated driving (plus the crazy cost hikes).

I am thrilled NHTSA is investigating this very serious matter. Even as Tesla admirer - I feel like Elon needs to address safety and obvious issues (than NHTSA raking it up) before planning for FSD or going to Mars. What made me so nervous was also the fact that trailers or large trucks following behind could panic or do unexpected things to put so many others at risk. I am surprised - with the software and all the ways to know almost real-time - why did Tesla wait for others to bubble this very serious issue.

Radar and it’s cost (if that IS the meat of this problem) - is not worth risking even 1 life. I expected better from Tesla and still back them to make the best out of this situation by making their cars and software even safer. Their recent v11 update (right at the time of my first road trip in a Tesla and with family in tow - looking to drive away that morning!) and missing screen usual buttons/operations will be an experience I will never forget. That CANNOT be the way to evolve Tesla. Common! You can do better.

you should know 90% of tesla owners never use AP.
If anyone - not traveling alone - has ever experienced AP+PB … that number will dwindle to .5% (die hard Tesla fans in that last slot). I wish Tesla improves the consistency and does not tamper with UI/button-less interaction. I don’t want the fart mode - just leave top level stuff untouched (and apparently they know the usage like with removing “lumbar support”, those things like driver profile switch at the top and v11 “fiasco”). Do they have less things to solve than to focus on this totally dumb UI improvement (v11).

I calibrated my cameras today on a 2021 (November Delivery) Model Y LR vision only without FSD currently running 2022.4.5 on a two lane road. Headed out on a 350 mile trip tomorrow. Will travel on a mix of highway types (2-Lane Hwy, 4-Lane Hwy, Divided 4-Lane Hwy and some Interstate). Plan to use TACC and TACC with Autosteer except when entering small towns along the way. Will let you know how this trip goes with regards to phantom braking when large vehicles approach from the opposite direction.
Not much improvement. Only worked well on interstate and divided highway with a vehicle in front of me to follow.

Reactions: xls_
I send 20-30 phantom brake bug reports to Tesla on my commute each day. My Tesla technician said its the only way to get things resolved and get recalls at Tesla. Techs are powerless because technically Vision camera is still in beta mode and they are still waiting for repair orders.

Reactions: WyomingEV
Would only recommend not believing everything you read on a forum. Omitting the dozen or so that continue beating the fear drum of the millions of owners it’s a bit over inflated. Have not had any issues personally like many that don’t post here.
The amount of people that report phantom breaking issues online is absolutely overwhelming. Please don't downplay this issue

I send 20-30 phantom brake bug reports to Tesla on my commute each day. My Tesla technician said its the only way to get things resolved and get recalls at Tesla. Techs are powerless because technically Vision camera is still in beta mode and they are still waiting for repair orders.

It must be different road conditions. I've used AP on the highway for hundreds of miles... never ever seen a single phantom braking event.

Could this be a single-lane highway related gremlin?

If this is so repeatable, you can consider recording it and file a complaint to NHTSA. Tesla will fix it when forced to.
Please show your data. I find it hard to believe that many Tesla drivers don't use cruise control (auto pilot) Sounds like an Elon statistic. Just like he said that no one used the lumbar support in the front passenger seat.
Actually, and I read this on the Internet so absolutely gospel, use of AP and use of the lumbar support clearly exhibits close correlation. So the logical conclusion is that both can be eliminated without affecting too many owners yet reducing manufacturing costs significantly. There, did I get that right?

• Funny
Reactions: xls_

Consider reporting to the NHTSA as well. They are investigating phantom braking on Tesla Model Y and 3 now. This is the organization that can convince Tesla to fix this.

The amount of people that report phantom breaking issues online is absolutely overwhelming. Please don't downplay this issue
You have no idea what fraction of Tesla drivers are reporting phantom braking. It's certainly not "overwhelming", else everyone's Tesla's would be up on blocks. Here's my constructive suggestions. First, do the two button reboot of the car. Second, recalibrate your cameras. If you are still having issues report the problem to NHTSA. They have a few hundred reports regarding phantom braking from over one million Tesla's on the road in the US. It could be either a design flaw or more likely a run of vehicles that have a manufacturing gaffe that's not readily apparent to the casual observer.

We can also hope that in the near future, some of the FSD beta improvements make it to the rest of the fleet. With radar, my MY used to experience phantom braking events maybe one or two times per week. Without radar, FSD beta has gradually reduced both the frequency and magnitude of those events. This is due mostly to using regen instead of friction braking.

Now on to my regulatory agency rant. During various times during my not so storied career, I was a professor at an engineering school, I worked for a national consulting firm and I worked for a regulatory agency. When I worked at the consulting firm, there was closeted disdain for regulatory agencies. Our whole mission was to either appease or circumvent what the regulator was trying to force on our clients.

When I worked for the regulatory agency, the staff had the exact attitude about private industry and the their consultants. If a firm became too annoying, the regulatory staff were not mindless robots. They would get more motivated to put the hammer down on that firm's client.

This is what I believe is happening to Tesla. Elon Musk has upset the entire auto industry's applecart. He's looting everybody's cash drawer. He doesn't advertise. He doesn't contribute to politicians. He bleats out stupid stuff on Blitter that ticks off regulators. All that has caused a backlash. But keep in mind that when you report an issue to NHTSA, it better be a significant safety issue. Else, you are wasting NHTSA's time and causing extra work for Tesla. It seems a few people here have a "call the cops attitude" about everything Tesla does. Sometimes, it's hard for me to discern legitimate complaints from TESLAQ BS. I figure that if someone complains once or twice about an issue, it's probably legitimate. But if some complains hundreds of times about the same issue, either their sanity or motivation is suspect.

Thanks for the great statistics lol
As of November 28, 2018, 1billion miles had been driven by Autopilot

Source:
Using quarterly delivery numbers from the following

Source: Tesla deliveries by quarter 2021 | Statista

The US Department of Transportation says the average person clocks about 13,500 miles per year. 13,500 miles per year is 3,375 miles per vehicle per quarter.

Adding cumulative miles just since 1Q2016 multiplying by quarterly deliveries, I'm coming up with 5,121,225,000 miles driven to 3Q2018.

1billion miles in that same timeframe is about 20% of all miles driven in Tesla vehicles to that point!

I'd give these numbers +/- 20% confidence

You have no idea what fraction of Tesla drivers are reporting phantom braking. It's certainly not "overwhelming", else everyone's Tesla's would be up on blocks. Here's my constructive suggestions. First, do the two button reboot of the car. Second, recalibrate your cameras. If you are still having issues report the problem to NHTSA. They have a few hundred reports regarding phantom braking from over one million Tesla's on the road in the US. It could be either a design flaw or more likely a run of vehicles that have a manufacturing gaffe that's not readily apparent to the casual observer.
Let's be real. How many people even KNOW they can report these things to NHTSA? Many people may not even know what they experienced. In my previous cars that had adaptive cruise I experience so few events it wasn't even worth looking into. I would bet that in the first 2 weeks of ownership of my Y last year, I had more PB event than the previous 10 years of all the different cars I had with adaptive cruise control.

On average I rent 50-80 cars a year from a variety of manufacturers, models and trim levels. I could look at the last 5-10 years of car rentals and PB events and it still wouldn't add up to the first 2 weeks of my Y last year. This includes cars rented all over North America, Europe, Middle East and Russia. The Y still had the most PB events.

If more people knew where they could complain, I am sure they would do it. Unfortunately many people don't have a lot of faith in gov't so they might know what to do but think the gov't won't do anything anyway.

I'd bet though all it would take is something like a "60 minutes" episode on how bad TACC is and the PR debacle resulting from that would get Elon's attention in a hurry.

Let's be real. How many people even KNOW they can report these things to NHTSA? Many people may not even know what they experienced. In my previous cars that had adaptive cruise I experience so few events it wasn't even worth looking into. I would bet that in the first 2 weeks of ownership of my Y last year, I had more PB event than the previous 10 years of all the different cars I had with adaptive cruise control.

On average I rent 50-80 cars a year from a variety of manufacturers, models and trim levels. I could look at the last 5-10 years of car rentals and PB events and it still wouldn't add up to the first 2 weeks of my Y last year. This includes cars rented all over North America, Europe, Middle East and Russia. The Y still had the most PB events.

If more people knew where they could complain, I am sure they would do it. Unfortunately many people don't have a lot of faith in gov't so they might know what to do but think the gov't won't do anything anyway.

I'd bet though all it would take is something like a "60 minutes" episode on how bad TACC is and the PR debacle resulting from that would get Elon's attention in a hurry.
I totally agree. I'm not a Tesla hater, but sometimes you need to tell someone a screw needs to get tightened. This isn't something they can't fix. Other car manufacturers have figured it out.

i've had many cars with L2 autonomy (lane & distance keeping), one as early as 2010. The Tesla has by far been the best at keeping its lane, but it's "longitudinal" control has something to be desired.

My MY has radar and has never been affected by oncoming traffic, but on occasion it has been affected by misinterpreting something in a neighboring lane is moving over. that is directly related to the cameras. Even though I could count the number of times it's happened on my hands and toes, since it's literally never happened in any of the cars I've previously owned, it's worth complaining about

I truly hope this lights a fire under them, it's something that can undoubtedly be fixed with a software update

I totally agree. I'm not a Tesla hater, but sometimes you need to tell someone a screw needs to get tightened. This isn't something they can't fix. Other car manufacturers have figured it out.

i've had many cars with L2 autonomy (lane & distance keeping), one as early as 2010. The Tesla has by far been the best at keeping its lane, but it's "longitudinal" control has something to be desired.

My MY has radar and has never been affected by oncoming traffic, but on occasion it has been affected by misinterpreting something in a neighboring lane is moving over. that is directly related to the cameras. Even though I could count the number of times it's happened on my hands and toes, since it's literally never happened in any of the cars I've previously owned, it's worth complaining about

I truly hope this lights a fire under them, it's something that can undoubtedly be fixed with a software update
Phantom Braking almost assuredly can't be fixed with a single, simple software update. I've seen false-positives described mostly as a world-modelling problem in the AV space and it's like playing whack-a-mole -- as more objects are labelled and detected to expand functionality, more false-positives will be created.

Tesla's system might be worse in this regard because it's trying to do so much whereas competitors focus on a much narrower scope and thus limit the chances of things going wrong. I would hazard a guess that Elon/Tesla thought smoothing these out would be easier and happen more quickly than in reality.