Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking issues improved in 2022.4.5.17 update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My phantom braking/slowdowns were REALLY bad until recently. I travel on a lot of two-way roads with major semi truck traffic. I couldn't wait to dump the Tesla when something as good, or near as good was available. It made driving the Tesla really infuriating. My office is 60 miles away, and 1/3 of that is the rural two way road where at least a handful of events happened every time.

Anyway, after 2022.8.2, (now on 8.3) oncoming cars have only caused a couple minor slowdowns. Even at night where like 1/2 of oncoming cars would trigger something minor or major. I did experience a sudden slowdown cresting a hill by my house and it has hesitated a couple more times in that spot for some reason.
But overall, so much better, and I haven't had any of those obnoxious audible alarms since either. Makes the car enjoyable to drive again!

Not sure why SecondFiddle's car centers too close to the center lane - mine seems to be pretty much at dead center,
Sorry I was unclear: our Y does ride dead-center. But oncoming semis are sometimes over the median in turns, and then I like to be closer to my outside edge.

I'd love to have a "left/right trim dial" that let's me adjust where in the lane the car should drive.

Reactions: sckor
Sorry I was unclear: our Y does ride dead-center. But oncoming semis are sometimes over the median in turns, and then I like to be closer to my outside edge.

I'd love to have a "left/right trim dial" that let's me adjust where in the lane the car should drive.

I feel the same way. On a multi-lane divided highway, no big deal. You probably want to be as dead centre in the lane as you can manage.

But when you are on a 2 lane, non-divided highway I'd much prefer that the car hug closer to the outside of the lane and as far away from oncoming traffic as is possible.

I feel the same way. On a multi-lane divided highway, no big deal. You probably want to be as dead centre in the lane as you can manage.

But when you are on a 2 lane, non-divided highway I'd much prefer that the car hug closer to the outside of the lane and as far away from oncoming traffic as is possible.
I definitely agree for the two lane, but on our recent trip involving almost 5000 miles of interstate, the semis blew over the lane dividers when they would pass us on our left way more than I thought they should. Often as much as 2 feet. I felt like I wanted to hug the right fog line then as well!

• Informative
Reactions: sckor