Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking issues improved in 2022.4.5.17 update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen some reports on reddit of phantom braking being much improved in the latest software update when using cruise control, wondering if anyone here has noticed?

I've been trying cruise control again a little bit the last two days and so far so good, but very small sample size so far.

I drove 200 miles round trip yesterday to my dad’s house, mostly freeway - daylight on the way there, dark on the way home. Worst phantom breaking EVER. At least 50 times passing trucks, sometimes 2 lanes away, I got at least a slowdown or braking, and a few with the audible warning. Definitely not improved for me, unless “improved“ = “more”.

I'm having an interesting phantom braking experience, although I can't say it's related to any software update. Here goes...

We recently drove from Albuquerque to Tucson, multi-lane interstate all the way, and had maybe 4 phantom issues both ways. Typically just a sudden slow down, only 1 time a dramatic hard braking, always with nothing on the road, nobody in front of me, etc., the usual phantom definition.

Contrast this with a drive I take from my house to a rehearsal studio in Corrales, about 20 miles away. The last 3 miles are on a single-lane road with a lot of curves and a strictly enforced 30mph speed limit. The first couple times I drove there with my 3 I used cruise control to hold my speed limit because the cops in this area will nail you for doing 31, and they are right there waiting for you. And the phantom braking was terrible... almost every curve if there was a car coming the opposite direction, whammo.

Here's the interesting part: The last 3 times I've gone there I've used Auto-pilot and.... not a single incident, even though traffic volume has been the same. I cruise those 3 miles with nary an incident, except yesterday when some jackass pulled out in front of me.

Again, can't say this has anything to do with software update because this happened both before the update and then yesterday. The only thing I can figure is that AP is keeping me squared up in the lane where maybe I'm not such a good job at that myself. But that doesn't explain the phantom events on the Tucson trip.

Reactions: mangrove79
2022.8.2 seems to be a bit improved. Prior versions in the 2022.4.x series were pretty bad but today on 2022.8.2, the car didn't have any trouble at a spot that usually causes a flutter of the steering wheel and phantom braking. It's only one instance so I'll hold off on saying it is definitely improved but it's the first time in a while that I have NOT gotten phantom braking at that spot in similar conditions. I've pressed the voice button a half dozen times after that spot and said "Bug report, phantom braking" or something similar. I had a feeling they get so many of those that they probably can't get to most of them but maybe eventually they do.

Mike

I drove 200 miles round trip yesterday to my dad’s house, mostly freeway - daylight on the way there, dark on the way home. Worst phantom breaking EVER. At least 50 times passing trucks, sometimes 2 lanes away, I got at least a slowdown or braking, and a few with the audible warning. Definitely not improved for me, unless “improved“ = “more”.
Quoting myself so I can semi-takeback my rant - I was on 22.4.5 according to the app, but just got the notification (and started updating) to .17 so ^ that was on the previous S/W. Still appalling how many times in completely normal situations this thing has tried to avoid imaginary issues just passing by trucks on the freeway. I’ll see how it goes for me in a couple more weeks when I do my next bi-weekly visit.

Reactions: jackmott
I have found 4.5.17 to be better, and the previous 4.5.3 was also better, although I admit I have changed my view on phantom braking. I drive with my foot on the pedal, assuming that the car is a newbie driver and apt to slow down whenever it is confused. That is more likely to happen when trucks are nearby (particularly if they are shifting lanes in our direction, even a lane away) or when hills or turns block the view ahead. A tap of the accelerator will restore normal speeds, I think of it as telling the car "it's OK, you can proceed". Traveling on a 2 lane road with opposing traffic at night I would not attempt with TACC, but it seems to no longer freak out about cars parked on my suburban street.

Better the car be overly cautious than run into a vehicle without alerting me, and slowing down is less jarring than that damn alert.

Quoting myself so I can semi-takeback my rant - I was on 22.4.5 according to the app, but just got the notification (and started updating) to .17 so ^ that was on the previous S/W. Still appalling how many times in completely normal situations this thing has tried to avoid imaginary issues just passing by trucks on the freeway. I’ll see how it goes for me in a couple more weeks when I do my next bi-weekly visit.
Look forward to seeing if things got better for you!

I really hesitate to say this, but my 2022 vision only model YLR seems to be improved since the 2022.4.5.17 update.
I will watch it closely, but I am hopeful that this make the car worth keeping as I found the phantom breaking on 2 lane undivided highways intolerable before.
Exactly my feeling. 40 miles since the update, 0 inappropriate slowdowns. That's a record.

I drove over 200 miles on 4.5.17 today, mostly on 2 lane highways and I had the least about of phantom braking I have ever had. In fact there were several times with approaching 18 wheelers I was all ready to react to sudden braking and it just didn't happen. For me and my Sept 21 MY, I'm pretty happy with this update. The braking that did happen was legitimate with vehicles turning in front of me and what not.

I just finished a road trip of about 1300 kms, much of which was on two lane highways. It was very much improved and virtually no braking for oncoming trucks, which was at 100% of the time before. That said, old behaviours seem to have cropped up again, like braking for overpass shadows on highways, but I’ll take that any day over having it basically unusable. It also now (appropriately) slows down again for traffic/breakdowns that are on the shoulder of the road on your side of travel, which these last few versions didn’t. It almost seems like they just swapped the old code from last summer back in, not that I’m complaining.

• Informative
Reactions: Hbrink and DrGriz
I just did a test on a road that gave me a lot of problems when I last tried it, and it does seem much better. There was still 1 unnecessary slowdown due to (I think) shadows from an overpass, but it was also a confusing area, mid turn, and I had auto steer on as well. It wasn't an abrupt or dangerous slowdown, just would have irritated people behind me.

The same area in the past (undivided twisty country road) also gave me lots of false forward collision warnings and this time only 1, despite being out there much longer.

So much improved! Definitely fine for normal cruise control use.

I'm in the middle of a 1,500 miler right now.. phantom braking is still a "thing" but.. it seems to be consistently applied in a few repeatable conditions. I tried to change lanes in the middle of a long sweeping turn ( slow driver in front).. I got halfway through the change when the car slammed on the brakes at 80mph.. in a turn :eek: The car was making the lane change on it's own after I flicked the stalk which was expected.. then BOOM.. brakes..

Also, its happened three times when someone on the RIGHT side is trying to merge into traffic.. car decides to rapidly slow down. The "fix" has been to stay in the left or middle lane if available.

Points of irritation that still nag me.. car consistently drifts right when passing an exit ramp and the right hand lane line goes away. I've had to overrule the AI about this a few times now on the trip.

But, with all that, FSD is an awesome tool to help drives these long , long stretches of road