Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it's bad. I'll be cruising along at 70 mph and my Model Y sees a yellow caution sign with flashing lights and hits the brakes. I push the camera icon to report each incident. Not sure how much that helps, if at all.
The problem is very bad especially on 2 lane highways. And OMG if my MY sees a Semi coming on the opposite side it freaks out like something out of an old horror movie. It slams the brakes, shrieks with its collision warning and makes all of us inside the car want to vomit immediately. Its an awful awful car and I blame myself for purchasing this Model Y without researching what a massive problem this phantom braking is.

And the sad part is that seeing Tesla's inaction and lackadaisical attitude toward this issue for YEARS tells me this is never going to get fixed. Yet Elon has the audacity to proudly announce FSD price hikes time after time. I really don't know what he's smoking.

At this point I just beg Tesla to just provide us a way to turn off any sort of "smart" cruise control and just let me have a dumb cruise control like my Acura TL from the early 2000s used to have. Just give me a basic cruise control man and spare me all the shenanigans and all the bells and whistles. They are trash and I don't need them.

they claim 'fusion is too hard, we give up on radar'. and things got worse, not better.

they had a long time to work on this, too. a REALLY long time and some big ass supercomputer, too, right?

more money than god. they can hire anyone they want (well, in theory)

so what's the problem?

the problem is elon and it wont be fixed until he is gone from tesla.

there. I said it. again.

there is no other fix. that madman is the top of the cultural pyramid there and its broken all the way to the top.

just turn off the braking feature. its broken.

they claim 'fusion is too hard, we give up on radar'. and things got worse, not better.

they had a long time to work on this, too. a REALLY long time and some big ass supercomputer, too, right?

more money than god. they can hire anyone they want (well, in theory)

so what's the problem?

the problem is elon and it wont be fixed until he is gone from tesla.

there. I said it. again.

there is no other fix. that madman is the top of the cultural pyramid there and its broken all the way to the top.

just turn off the braking feature. its broken.
I agree 100% with your comment. The problem is Elon. He has gone from being a likeable honest good person from the early struggling Tesla years to an absolute mega douche of epic proportions. I used to love Tesla and now I hate it and most of it has to do with the distorted arrogant personality at the top that acts like a petulant child most days.

Yeah I don’t think this problem is getting fixed anytime soon and I’m really regretting trading in my MS for this new trash MY which has made it so inconvenient for me to take this car out anywhere for long drives. I hate this car.

You are right this man needs to go. As much fanboys treat him as some god, he’s unfortunately turned into a giant tool.

That said we all need to lodge a complaint with NHTSA. Only once there is enough chorus of complaints Will some real action be taken. To be honest all I need from this company now is a regular cruise control and then I just need to transition to come other good EV company and not look back at Tesla again.

I almost got rear ended yesterday on the 7 mile bridge. I have traditionally used cruis control to avoid speeding. The Phantom braking issue has rendered both the autoppilot and TACC feature not only useless, but very dangerous. I am more stressed on a drive now than when I drove my 1978 Chevrolet Suburban. We need to be able to have a standard cruise control. I filed a complaint with NHTSA, as I feel this is the only way these cars are going to get safer. I have spent almost $30,000 on three Teslas for “FSD”, when all I really want is “Enhanced Autopilot”. True FSD is not going to happen with cameras only. Right now, I would settle for the safety features my 2017 Miata had.

Yeah, it's bad. I'll be cruising along at 70 mph and my Model Y sees a yellow caution sign with flashing lights and hits the brakes. I push the camera icon to report each incident. Not sure how much that helps, if at all.
More context please .. was this on the highway? With FSD beta engaged? Night/day? Weather?

You are aware they are working on a fix? .. it's called "FSD beta"

• Funny
Reactions: COS Blue
I agree 100% with your comment. The problem is Elon. He has gone from being a likeable honest good person from the early struggling Tesla years to an absolute mega douche of epic proportions. I used to love Tesla and now I hate it and most of it has to do with the distorted arrogant personality at the top that acts like a petulant child most days.

Yeah I don’t think this problem is getting fixed anytime soon and I’m really regretting trading in my MS for this new trash MY which has made it so inconvenient for me to take this car out anywhere for long drives. I hate this car.

You are right this man needs to go. As much fanboys treat him as some god, he’s unfortunately turned into a giant tool.

That said we all need to lodge a complaint with NHTSA. Only once there is enough chorus of complaints Will some real action be taken. To be honest all I need from this company now is a regular cruise control and then I just need to transition to come other good EV company and not look back at Tesla again.
so .. er .. sell the car and get something else? Isnt that how the free market works? You DONT buy from a bad vendor and they try to get the government to fix it .. you buy from a GOOD vendor and let the bad vendor go out of business.

And the sad part is that seeing Tesla's inaction and lackadaisical attitude toward this issue for YEARS tells me this is never going to get fixed. Yet Elon has the audacity to proudly announce FSD price hikes time after time. I really don't know what he's smoking.

At this point I just beg Tesla to just provide us a way to turn off any sort of "smart" cruise control and just let me have a dumb cruise control like my Acura TL from the early 2000s used to have. Just give me a basic cruise control man and spare me all the shenanigans and all the bells and whistles. They are trash and I don't need them.
As I've posted before (and gotten a ton of disagrees here on TMC before on this), basically the feedback loop is pretty broken.

Short of a safety agency pressurring them (e.g. NHTSA), until a problem causes a substantial drop in sales or steep drop in sales growth or really bad PR (esp. sustained), Tesla doesn't have much incentive to fix it. Just look at the ETA if you try ordering the cheapest Model 3. When I last looked a few days ago, it was Oct 2022! They have no shortage of people ordering and waiting for their Teslas, many of which have no clue about this or the want for a basic dumb cruise control (that numerous others have also wanted).

Unless it's something that Elon or someone at Tesla is motivated to fix for some reason (e.g. via tweets, personal experience, someone telling him, etc.), it may not get done for a long time or at all.

I also agree that people who are legitimately experiencing this and find that it is a legitimate safety issue, they should file a safety complaint w/NHTSA. This applies for ALL brands of cars, not just Tesla. The only exception is if the automaker is no longer obligated to fix it (e.g. the 10 year rule at Motor Vehicle Defects and Safety Recalls: What Every Vehicle Owner Should Know | Safercar.gov | NHTSA).

Are there any limitations on my right to have a recalled vehicle remedied at no charge?​

Yes. There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser. For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003. However, consumers should realize that even though manufacturers are not obligated to remedy safety defects in older cars, a safety problem might still exist. If you receive notification of a defect on a vehicle older than 10 years, take the responsibility to have your car repaired at your own expense – and eliminate unnecessary safety risks.​

I could fully understand if FSD right now, was still at a place where its working out minor bugs in fringe/edge city cases. I get it. But based on the CEO's tweets and brags? One would not think that YEARS later, phantom braking on highways is STILL a major issue. Especially with all of the bragging about how vision only would be "exponentially better".

Can anyone believe ANYTHING this guy says anymore?

Issues should be reported to the NHTSA, but I honestly doubt much can be done to rectify the problem in a reasonable time frame

Vision-only Model Ys in particular have been slammed for this for a bit now
There is an easy fix here - dumb cruise control.

I should be able to opt-out of the "Autosteer Beta" (or whatever it is called) and it should just fall back to dumb cruise.

Same thing should happen when the cameras are blinded and it can't do cruise control (which happened to me once due to low sun and driving into it).

Just because the car can't see properly, doesn't mean I can't.

The problem is very bad especially on 2 lane highways. And OMG if my MY sees a Semi coming on the opposite side it freaks out like something out of an old horror movie. It slams the brakes, shrieks with its collision warning and makes all of us inside the car want to vomit immediately. Its an awful awful car and I blame myself for purchasing this Model Y without researching what a massive problem this phantom braking is.
For the reasons you describe, I'm no longer allowed to use FSD on two-lane highways when my wife is in the car. That rule occasionally applies to divided highways as well depending on how the system is behaving at the moment.

I was told the other day to press the right mic button and say ‘bug’ apparently this logs the incident and Tesla will look at it. Haven’t tried it but would be interested to know if anyone else has hear this.
It logs whatever you say on your cars storage along with a screenshot of your screen and any information in that moment. But it will only ever be seen by a tech in person during a service appointment. Nothing is uploaded to any server. It’s only stored locally.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I’m having the exact same issue with my new M3. Almost every semi it sees in a two lane highway it freaks out. It freaks out on cruise control or auto steer. I don’t have the FSD. I spoke with Tesla service and they told me to document the dates and time it does it and schedule a service appointment. He said the engineers can get into the car and pull data and see what’s going on. So I schedule the appointment today for about a month out and I’m just going to keep sending them dates and times. I also see the driver side fender camera is constantly being blocked when it isn’t, especially at night. Everything is substantially worse at night, too. If it’s a two lane highway going the same direction it works fantastic. I’ll post updates here as I hear from Tesla.

Reactions: Brian C M3D