Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking Not Just Tesla - Everyone!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PhantomBrakingNisson.jpg

Saw this on CBS news this morning. It seems that almost all cars with autonomous emergency braking are having their fair share of false alarms. (And not just Nissan either, although that is who CBS is raking over the coals this time. The list is long.) You might think that this would bring forth a little understanding from the wife, but no. It just reinforces her dislike for getting a knot jerked into her neck from time to time.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I had the exact opposite experience. Not impressed with the v10 update. My main issue is with TACC. After the previous v9 32.2? update TACC worked much more smoothly with no phantom braking or FOTT(fear of tractor-trailers). After v10 TACC reverted back to pre 32.2. Not happy with this “update”

For what it's worth, some (most? all?) of the other manufacturers actually let you decide if you want traditional keep-this-speed cruise vs. adaptive cruise at any time. Something Tesla doesn't let you do. With Tesla, you're forced to deal with phantom braking or you get no cruise.

...You might think that this would bring forth a little understanding from the wife, but no. It just reinforces her dislike for getting a knot jerked into her neck from time to time.

What "understanding" is there to bring forth? It does something unexpected and alarming, and potentially dangerous. Of course this reinforces dislike. It's confirming "Hey! I'm not the only one that hates being jerked around by the car!", which is honestly a nice thing to experience when you otherwise appear to have an isolated opinion.