Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking now bad on vision only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the majority of really hard phantom breaks occur in circumstances where autopilot should not be used? I am reading here about occasions with a lorry in on the opposite lane etc. This is not a motorway situation where autopilot currently should only be used.
On my experience I have the FSD suite and I am using it daily on my commute which is 115 miles in total. Includes motorway, A roads and some really crap B roads. I would say that I am on autopilot on 85-90% of that commute. Never ever head a phantom break occur unless it was on a curve with a tractor coming the opposite lane (where I should not be using it).
If I had crashed it would be my and only my mistake of using a software which clearly states where and where not to use.
I also wonder about the speed under these situations occur. I notice that if I drive at speed limit or below it even on really tight situations it performs well. (any of you who drive on A41 behind a loaded lorry will understand me).
On motorway I had only one phantom break where I was on the fast lane and a dick of a lorry driver who was moving from left lane to middle went really close to the line and the car got spooked. I would probably have hit the breaks myself to be honest.
Must be the roads you travel on…
I’ve never seen a phantom taking a break (even at hallowe’en)🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I didn't mean to misrepresent you, I was just agreeing with one element of your reply. My apologies for any offence that may have caused you.
No worries, no harm done, it's just a forum post. I was just keen to show that TACC works for me in situations that it others have trouble with. The cars are all different and the way and places we drive them are different too. Never has YMMV been used so much on any forum :)

Are we talking software, build quality variations or all of the above? 😎
All of the above.

If you look at any of the threads with problems, you'll see a wide variety of posts from "I get this all the time" to "I've never had this" and everything in between. Even with the same age/model, software etc.

I'd like to think there are firmware versions that are part of the problem, but that's just because we can't see those so they are an unknown variable.

I guess that a lot of the differences between our vehicles are hardware/software interaction based.
Think of it like a an iPad or tablet. Much of the time it works flawlessly and occasionally for no apparent reason something locks up.
switch it off and on and it’s back to working fine. There’s no rime or reason.
wife and I have the same iPads/software/apps. An app on mine wouldn’t work properly, but absolutely fine on hers. it had been fine for years!
The car is far more complex and a lot of completely different data is constantly being thrust through it’s circuits. Extrapolate that through the fleet and it’s a complete nightmare to solve.

I've wondered if phantom braking is more prevalent on sunny days, and I certainly get that impression, but I don't drive enough to get a representative sample of journeys. On a day like today, cloudy with no shadows, I'd expect it to be better.

It's true though that if someone complains of phantom braking due to a car coming on the opposite lane, they're not using it on a road it was designed to work on.. it just happens to work a lot of the time, and in the old software adage of such use 'if it breaks you get to keep both halves'.

All of the above.

If you look at any of the threads with problems, you'll see a wide variety of posts from "I get this all the time" to "I've never had this" and everything in between. Even with the same age/model, software etc.

I'd like to think there are firmware versions that are part of the problem, but that's just because we can't see those so they are an unknown variable.
I think there are definitely hardware differences.. some people seem to have a nightmare with it, on the same software on (theoretically) the same car. Perhaps tesla are using slightly differently specced components from different manufacturers.

As someone with a rather different experience it puzzles me why some of us seem to have more nervous and unpredictable behaviour than others, ie, after nearly 14k miles I have yet to see a lorry change red & move sideways on screen or have the brakes respond accordingly. Plenty of others report the opposite of course.

I'm still on 36.5.5, but to date have only experienced occasional mild phantom braking. Tomorrow and Sunday I have long Cheshire-Suffolk & Suffolk-Cheshire journeys and will use Autopilot extensively (as previously). At present, driving with the right foot hovering over the accelerator is not the relaxing and stress free experience that autonomy is supposed to offer and probably won't be until well after Musk finally receives a gagging order for so may ludicrous promises.

However if I had been a very early UK Model 3 owner I may well have purchased FSD at the original price but by Feb 2020 when I ordered, the cost was £5.5k and having used it previously in California I couldn't see that as value compared to basic Autopilot. So far I have been happy on the occasions I use it.

I still smile every time I drive the Model 3 though... the positives more than compensate for the frustrations and the features that really matter to me are outstanding. :)

Reactions: Envchem and M3noob
You should be fine as long as you've got good reflexes to accelerate and counteract the false slowdowns or phantom brakes.

According to Tesla's blog, only North American Model 3 and Y are radarless.

Correct for Model 3 and Y for North America (if Fremont exports them outside of North America, they will still have radars).

The cause was blamed on all Tesla cars that use radars so it became the rationale for Tesla to go Pure Vision and delete radar.

It's in your owner's manual so there's no need to "think". It's a fact that people are buying Tesla beta globally and they may not read the owner's manual to be aware that it's really "beta".

That could happen but I have not heard one just yet.

It's human's skills vs machine power. Who would prevail?

Yes, you need to press on the accelerator to counteract phantom brakes.
You do realize if you're in traffic on a highway going 60-65 mph and then all of the sudden the car slams its emergency brakes, unless you're fully engaged then you would have no way of countering it. I get what you're saying but this should be fixed by Tesla asap.

Reactions: Stach