Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking return?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the EAP freebie dropped, my phantom braking has skyrocketed when using NOA.
I haven’t actually experienced a real phantom brake episode since we went to vision only, but since this ‘update’ it’s become a royal pain. I’m getting it with a larger truck/van in the front left corner like the good old days. Doesn’t seem to happen with autopilot though which I find surprising.

Anyone else getting this delight with NOA?

it never really went away
I had it a few times driving on the Hume in November
then again recently between Sydney and the Sunshine Coast - slightly less but it still happened randomly when the car decided it needed to going at 50 instead of 120
vans and white cars seem to trigger it most often but it’s also just spontaneous sometimes
I don’t use EAP but I do use regular cruise control

Reactions: positiv
Phantom braking was minimal with the software just before going to camera only rather than radar + camera.

Passing trucks to their right is certainly a problem and on occasion with cars too. It is more than moderately irritating.

I’m loathe to blame it on just ditching radar. I’m wondering if it is some problem with the algorithm sorting out what is a traffic queue and what is a long truck - either semi, or b-double.

I had the lane changing scare the crap out of us on the Hume Highway heading north.

Was overtaking a car and auto lane changing was doing its thing as we moved over into the right lane. Just as it was about to finishing moving over, we approached one of those small roads that are in the middle of Hume freeway to facilitate u-turns etc. From what I can gather the line markings of that middle road must have been picked up by the cameras, and the car made a sudden jerk to the right as if it was going to try to do the 90 degree turn at 110km/h.

Fortunately I reacted before the car took on too much yaw and took control by turning the steering wheel back to the left which disabled auto steer. At that speed I was conscious of not over correcting, however it could have easily have ended badly.

I never asked for the EAP trial, and I had no way of opting out of it or disabling the auto lane change feature other than manually overriding the auto steer every time that I wanted to change lanes. It irks me that Tesla is like Apple in deciding that it knows best what I want.

we approached one of those small roads that are in the middle of Hume freeway to facilitate u-turns etc. From what I can gather the line markings of that middle road must have been picked up by the cameras, and the car made a sudden jerk to the right as if it was going to try to do the 90 degree turn at 110km/h.
I have had the same several times in that situation - making an auto lane change from left to right at/near the point where there is a right-turn (or U-turn) bay - and the car, after completing the auto lane change then immediately jerks/leaps across into the right turn bay. For mine it has corrected itself in time, perhaps by luck as it has only been on an 80-90km/h road, not 110 as you had, but it is terrifying and awfully broken. (For Sydney people: Westbound on Mona Vale Rd, happens at the right turn bay about 400m to the east of the traffic lights near Belrose Bunnings and also at the right turn turn bay for St Ives Showground).

I have EAP on my car - and I really only bought it for auto lane change - and having this happen (and from memory it has only been in the last month or so it has done it, even though I drive on that road all the time) really drops my confidence every time I hit the blinker for an auto lane change, just in case there is a road off to the right a couple of hundred metres ahead that I haven’t thought of…

Reactions: Maximillan
Im not up with the latest FSD stuff, but I did watch something on the latest FSD/autopilot stacks being merged in the US. That was really where my question was leading, ie are the autopilot and EAP stacks the same or separate here? Don’t know if anyone knows, but I was quite happy with autopilot behavior prior to this.

I've had phantom braking about half a dozen times now, after driving a total of about 7,000 km (given phantom braking only happens if I have TACC/autopilot on, which is usually during highway and freeway driving which of course isn't all of my driving).

I haven't seen it more frequently after the Enhanced Autopilot drive - I'd say the rate of occurrence is very roughly the same.

A few times, the car slowed from 100 to about 96 km/h, or 80 to 75 km/h, so it wasn't too sudden. In a couple of instances looking at the screen it misinterpreted a parked car on the side (often near a curve) as in front of me so it slowed down.

In a couple of scarier cases, the screen didn't reveal why the Tesla thought it needed to brake and the slowdown was much more rapid - like coming down from 100 to 90 km/h. As many have said, lucky no one was close behind then.

I had an interesting experience yesterday when driving into my garage. It's a tight squeeze so I need to go about 120mm from shelving all along the left side. Yesterday, the car decided that there was a semi-trailer to my left and really did not like it being so close (many loud squawks of alarm...)

That's a first for me!

I've had phantom braking about half a dozen times now, after driving a total of about 7,000 km (given phantom braking only happens if I have TACC/autopilot on, which is usually during highway and freeway driving which of course isn't all of my driving).

I haven't seen it more frequently after the Enhanced Autopilot drive - I'd say the rate of occurrence is very roughly the same.

A few times, the car slowed from 100 to about 96 km/h, or 80 to 75 km/h, so it wasn't too sudden. In a couple of instances looking at the screen it misinterpreted a parked car on the side (often near a curve) as in front of me so it slowed down.

In a couple of scarier cases, the screen didn't reveal why the Tesla thought it needed to brake and the slowdown was much more rapid - like coming down from 100 to 90 km/h. As many have said, lucky no one was close behind then.
The phantom braking I experience in my model S is the car trying to get to zero as fast as possible, then aborting when about three quarters there. Is full seat belt use braking. I’m very much looking forward to testing the merc EQE when it arrives next week. Hopefully it has an effective basic cruise control and a functioning reliable voice system

A few times, the car slowed from 100 to about 96 km/h, or 80 to 75 km/h, so it wasn't too sudden
That’s my experience too, couple of “lift off” type slow downs but nothing more dramatic

My previous ford which had radar would sometimes do the same thing, usually when there was an overpass on a hill or a sharp turn with a barrier

I disable autopilot when I can see it getting confused though, e.g. it’s very sensitive if a car has pulled over in an emergency lane

Got 4-5 phantom brakings last Sunday, during a 550km trip, while driving on a very clean motorway, with little disturbations. It is really annoying, uncomfortable for passengers and dangerous for you and other road users.
I also had the feeling it was slightly better in the last times, but as for @schnaxxl it never really fully went away.

If someone finds a way to downgrade our adaptative cruise control to a standard cruise control, just locking car'speed and not doing anything else (like on my former 20 years old Audi), that would make me more than happy.

No it can’t be done, I doubt any new car will let you

Regular cruise is useless these days anyway, roads are too busy and our road manners are rubbish, everyone sits in random lanes at random speeds
Not in Adelaide where the peak is twice per day. Outside that there are plenty of arterial roads where cruise that works would be great. The road manners is woefull though.

Reactions: fobo
No it can’t be done, I doubt any new car will let you

Regular cruise is useless these days anyway, roads are too busy and our road manners are rubbish, everyone sits in random lanes at random speeds
I'm commuting on almost desert roads, that would be by far more useful to me.

Sometimes the issue is that the car designer here is not used to different situations than in his own place of life (California?).

Take for example the disconnection of LTE connection when crossing a border. It takes sometimes 15 to 20 minutes to my Model S to switch from the french to the german cell network. During 20 minutes no navigation, no music, nothing.
Not a problem when you cross that border once a year, but when it is a daily commute this is quite annoying (a cell phone switches immediately).

I had phantom braking events about 10-12 times over four days of driving, 1600 miles. This was all desert interstate highways in SW US with no traffic around me during any of the occurrences. Some happened in TACC and others in TACC/autosteer. I have over 11K miles on the car now and this has been a continuous issue. Reports to Tesla yield no solution. I find the issue very disconcerting for my passengers to the point I will not use the system when others are in the car. I also do not use the system when vehicles are close behind me; a rear end collision is quite possible during one of these hard braking events.. This seems to be a serious safety issue that Tesla does not want to deal with. I wondering if I should try reporting it to NTHSA but I'm thinking they already know about it and have also chosen to do nothing.

The phantom braking I experience in my model S is the car trying to get to zero as fast as possible, then aborting when about three quarters there. Is full seat belt use braking. I’m very much looking forward to testing the merc EQE when it arrives next week. Hopefully it has an effective basic cruise control and a functioning reliable voice system
We have a new GLC300e in our household and the cruise and auto steer on that is sensational, in this regard the competition has not only caught up they've sailed past. I don't trust my Model-S now to the point where I don't even engage the cruise control, too many hard phantom braking events that I've totally lost faith in it.

We have a new GLC300e in our household and the cruise and auto steer on that is sensational, in this regard the competition has not only caught up they've sailed past. I don't trust my Model-S now to the point where I don't even engage the cruise control, too many hard phantom braking events that I've totally lost faith in it.

How is the GLC otherwise? We quite liked it also, but I got a bit scared at the price the moment I ticked any single option!

Back to the topic, my phantom braking extravaganza has really only been since the EAP trial started. It finishes today, so I’ll hold my breath that things will return to what once was!

How is the GLC otherwise? We quite liked it also, but I got a bit scared at the price the moment I ticked any single option!

Back to the topic, my phantom braking extravaganza has really only been since the EAP trial started. It finishes today, so I’ll hold my breath that things will return to what once was!
I’m keen to know the outcome of your EAP theory. I’ve always had EAP and always had severe phantom braking.

Reactions: P100D_Me and Leeroy