Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking so bad I want to return my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe they went single stack with FSD beta. I realize thats beta, but it does indicate their willingness to do it at some level. I agree with you that they shouldnt do it until its at parity, but that doesnt mean they wont, nor that they'll let us know when it happens.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
I believe they went single stack with FSD beta. I realize thats beta, but it does indicate their willingness to do it at some level. I agree with you that they shouldnt do it until its at parity, but that doesnt mean they wont, nor that they'll let us know when it happens.
FSD Beta is still not single stack as of 10.5 AFAIK. City streets and NOA is still separate. There is talk 11 will be single stack, but we've heard similar claims many times in the past. Doesn't make sense to move to single stack and switch over production cars yet when there would be a regression of features.

To be candid, this thread has seriously made me second guess my purchase. Especially, since they’ve pushed my EDD back almost a month. I did not purchase the FSD because I personally don’t believe it’ll be ready anytime soon, and didn’t think my needs would warrant the extra 10K. This is our first Tesla, but some of these posts seem to be alluding that the issue is inherently a flat of removing the radar, so could it ever even be addressed? We have a newborn on the way and although I’m eager about the car - this is very concerning.

Reactions: cusetownusa
To be candid, this thread has seriously made me second guess my purchase. Especially, since they’ve pushed my EDD back almost a month. I did not purchase the FSD because I personally don’t believe it’ll be ready anytime soon, and didn’t think my needs would warrant the extra 10K. This is our first Tesla, but some of these posts seem to be alluding that the issue is inherently a flat of removing the radar, so could it ever even be addressed? We have a newborn on the way and although I’m eager about the car - this is very concerning.

Tesla is confident in their vision-only autonomy, given that people drive every day with just their two eyeballs. We eagerly await Tesla to prove it.

FSD or not, a Tesla is the safest car you can drive.

• Love
My advice don’t believe everything you read on internet.

It concerns me as well for the car my wife and I have in order - but not for safety reasons. It’s for frustration reasons. You can certainly drive the car without using autopilot or TACC and it will work great. The car itself is amazing. But with this issue you potentially would have to live without “cruise control” entirely until tesla works it out. That doesn’t work for me but other people might be just fine without cruise control.

I don't have FSD, but here is my feedback. Honestly, it's not like the car is going to swerve into oncoming traffic or run off the road. The car is trying really hard to keep you safe.

My experience with Autopilot is that it works great on Interstates and four lane divided highways. The Auto Steering is amazing. I have experienced an issue with TACC on regular two-lane highways when a large truck is approaching in the oncoming lane. I have also occasionally experienced slowdowns on highways when the lane has discolored or repaired areas. These aren't actual braking events but more like "regen slowdowns".

All in all, I love the car and I use Autopilot a lot. When I'm on a two lane road, I will temporarily turn off TACC and Auto Steering when I see an oncoming semi, but turn them right back on afterward. Did I mention that the Auto Steering does a really good job?

Something not mentioned much is that Autopilot is really useful when you are in a long stream of stop and go traffic.

2021 MYLR, White/White, 4464 mi

This is true. But I will add this: there are only two or three threads on this forum about a humming sound coming from the front of new cars that is annoying. With so few threads it could certainly be dismissed as not actually a problem. But it is a problem. I have seen it myself and I have video of how significant this sound is vs the cars tesla used to make. I know this because I own two teslas that do not make this sound. I know this sound should not be on the car. Yet all of the demo vehicles but one at our local service center make this sound, and people are still occasionally reporting that their car just delivered has this annoying sound. Are these one offs? Most cars are fine and only a few have this issue? Or is it that a lot of people don’t know that the car *should not make this noise*. It’s impossible to say. As such, I’d say you can’t just dismiss everything you read outright.

There are far, far more VO phantom braking posts than the humming sound posts. And the humming sound is 100% legit.

This is true. But I will add this: there are only two or three threads on this forum about a humming sound coming from the front of new cars that is annoying. With so few threads it could certainly be dismissed as not actually a problem. But it is a problem. I have seen it myself and I have video of how significant this sound is vs the cars tesla used to make. I know this because I own two teslas that do not make this sound. I know this sound should not be on the car. Yet all of the demo vehicles but one at our local service center make this sound, and people are still occasionally reporting that their car just delivered has this annoying sound. Are these one offs? Most cars are fine and only a few have this issue? Or is it that a lot of people don’t know that the car *should not make this noise*. It’s impossible to say. As such, I’d say you can’t just dismiss everything you read outright.

There are far, far more VO phantom braking posts than the humming sound posts. And the humming sound is 100% legit.
I meant all the drama and FUD.

I Agree with this, but there is obviously an issue. Otherwise, there wouldn’t be countless posts about a recurring issue. I tend to be very skeptical of criticism on community forums (especially car forums lol) because people tend to be a bit dramatic or act like their

My experience with Autopilot is that it works great on Interstates and four lane divided highways. The Auto Steering is amazing. I have experienced an issue with TACC on regular two-lane highways when a large truck is approaching in the oncoming lane. I have also occasionally experienced slowdowns on highways when the lane has discolored or repaired areas. These aren't actual braking events but more like "regen slowdowns".

All in all, I love the car and I use Autopilot a lot. When I'm on a two lane road, I will temporarily turn off TACC and Auto Steering when I see an oncoming semi, but turn them right back on afterward. Did I mention that the Auto Steering does a really good job?

Something not mentioned much is that Autopilot is really useful when you are in a long stream of stop and go traffic.

2021 MYLR, White/White, 4464 mi

Totally get it. It’s just a little disconcerting because I’ve had multiple cars with ACC and lane assist where they could do the exact same thing. The Tesla system seems (and don’t doubt that it is) far superior. So, going back to my OP it is causing a little bit of hesitation on following through with the purchase because it makes me wonder if they should of stayed with the radar and if they’ll eventually revert back? Then, killing resale value. Just typing out loud here…

Last edited:
I’ve had AP kick me out for aggressively passing on the freeway while it was engaged. I’m not sure if it was because of how far I exceeded the set speed or because of the acceleration…. So I don’t know where that would fall vs what you are setting up there.

That was a drag because after that it wouldn’t let me re-engage even TACC. I had to exit the next off ramp, put the car in park and then back into drive. My car wanted to shame me. 😔

Sounds like you went over 80 mph and got put in AP jail.

Keith

Reactions: boulder.dude
You typed out something I don't think is correct... instead of correcting the information I should give you a thumbs down!

Keith

Reactions: Tha_Ape
It concerns me as well for the car my wife and I have in order - but not for safety reasons. It’s for frustration reasons. You can certainly drive the car without using autopilot or TACC and it will work great. The car itself is amazing. But with this issue you potentially would have to live without “cruise control” entirely until tesla works it out. That doesn’t work for me but other people might be just fine without cruise control.
The same person who when discussing the problems with TACC would shout "don't buy the car if you don't like it" gives you a thumbs down for considering the idea of not buying the car because you don't like it.

Keith