Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking so bad I want to return my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be candid, this thread has seriously made me second guess my purchase. Especially, since they’ve pushed my EDD back almost a month. I did not purchase the FSD because I personally don’t believe it’ll be ready anytime soon, and didn’t think my needs would warrant the extra 10K. This is our first Tesla, but some of these posts seem to be alluding that the issue is inherently a flat of removing the radar, so could it ever even be addressed? We have a newborn on the way and although I’m eager about the car - this is very concerning.
I have a 6 month old MY with 17k miles, no FSD. I use AP and TACC almost continuously and rarely have issues (a couple of times per week)? Either it has gotten better over time, or I have gotten better at automatically disabling it when it is going to get itself into trouble. The car is a joy.

And no, I’m not a fanboy… and I suspect there will be a class action lawsuit over FSD in a few more years. 🤑

I have a 6 month old MY with 17k miles, no FSD. I use AP and TACC almost continuously and rarely have issues (a couple of times per week)? Either it has gotten better over time, or I have gotten better at automatically disabling it when it is going to get itself into trouble. The car is a joy.

And no, I’m not a fanboy… and I suspect there will be a class action lawsuit over FSD in a few more years. 🤑
Ahh good news. If they stopped delaying my build I wouldn’t have time to sit here and ponder!

You are the one who is pushing some kind of weird don’t buy this buy that instead and report this to Government narrative.

Find the "report this to the government" post and quote it please... ooops, it don't exist!

And yes, I am saying buy an EXPENSIVE Tesla (model S or Model X) or a used Model 3 or Model Y. I didn't say buy a Mustang Mach E, or Rivian R1T... how is that not being a Tesla fan?

Only a fanboy would see telling someone to purchase a different Tesla other than a vision only Y or 3 as a "hater" spreading FUD!

Keith

This is exactly the point. Mine is so bad I cant use it. I go out on a regular 4 lane road without heavy traffic and feel like I have to cover the brake pedal all the time when using either of these driver assist systems. It is not relaxing. It makes me nervous and tires me out trying to use it. Ive even tried turning the driver aid settings all the way down, but it still does it.
More like covering the gas…

That is straight up false. Car will kick you out of AP if you try to speed up too much on the AP with go pedal.
To be candid, this thread has seriously made me second guess my purchase. Especially, since they’ve pushed my EDD back almost a month. I did not purchase the FSD because I personally don’t believe it’ll be ready anytime soon, and didn’t think my needs would warrant the extra 10K. This is our first Tesla, but some of these posts seem to be alluding that the issue is inherently a flat of removing the radar, so could it ever even be addressed? We have a newborn on the way and although I’m eager about the car - this is very concerning.
I know there have been issues when TACC and AP but we just need to use it appropriately and work within its strengths. I still use it 80 percent of my drives. I drive about 140 miles a day, using I90 (Chicago) and it does makes drives much easier. Other than these issues mentioned on this tread, the car is awesome!

Reactions: WhiteWi
I have noticed a notable regression in TACC since I received a ‘21 MY in February. It was good before… not as good as AP1, but nothing to complain about.

Now, I don’t trust AP or TACC in the MY. It drives erratically, and it seems to depend on the situation (lighting, type of vehicle in front, color of the vehicle). Most of the time it drives like a distracted driver. In stopped traffic, it sometimes allows huge gaps which other drivers use to cut me off and then it slams on the brakes. Plus I aggravate the people behind me where they want to jockey for position. Now I’m noticing more and more than it drives like a 16 year old distracted driver. I also just yesterday noticed it accelerating randomly in stopped traffic and then slamming on the brakes.

I have noticed a notable regression in TACC since I received a ‘21 MY in February. It was good before… not as good as AP1, but nothing to complain about.

Now, I don’t trust AP or TACC in the MY. It drives erratically, and it seems to depend on the situation (lighting, type of vehicle in front, color of the vehicle). Most of the time it drives like a distracted driver. In stopped traffic, it sometimes allows huge gaps which other drivers use to cut me off and then it slams on the brakes. Plus I aggravate the people behind me where they want to jockey for position. Now I’m noticing more and more than it drives like a 16 year old distracted driver. I also just yesterday noticed it accelerating randomly in stopped traffic and then slamming on the brakes.
I know there have been issues when TACC and AP but we just need to use it appropriately and work within its strengths. I still use it 80 percent of my drives. I drive about 140 miles a day, using I90 (Chicago) and it does makes drives much easier. Other than these issues mentioned on this tread, the car is awesome!

Keep in mind that the reports of bad TACC / AP are directly related to no radar / vision only cars. Which allegedly started shipping in June 2021. Unfortunately this very specific distinction seems to cloud the threads about this issue as radar owners will report no problems (as it is likely that anyone with a car older than five months has radar).

I may have put 500 miles on my Y in the last ten days. Early this morning I had one very minor hesitation / slowdown with TACC but other than that, it has been entirely error free. But again - my car is radar.

Most of the pre model 3 people and a large portion of the model 3 owners are true believers that think any complaint is a short seller trying to spread FUD... later year model 3 and many model Y owners are much more likely to be mainstream car buyers.

I think a lot of the problem is the owners of older Teslas, and more expensive Teslas consider those of us with Vision only cars to be "Johnny come lately" owners. The fact is the Model 3 and Model Y cars have become mainstream and mainstream buyers will not put up with the crap that "true believer" types will excuse.

For example, if you took a poll of owners separated by purchase date and asked them if they believe fully autonomous driving "is just a year away" you will get a more positive result from owners of older Tesla's even though they have been told this year after year for over half a decade now. A guy with a 2020 Model 3 that paid for FSD and still doesn't have it is more disgruntled than someone with a 2016 Model S that still doesn't have FSD. And the 2020 model 3 owner is more likely to realize there is no way in hell HW 3.0 will ever be good enough for level 3 autonomy, let alone level 4 or level 5.

Keith

I don't have my Model Y yet so I don't have any direct experience with the AP or TACC. I am just here as the Phantom Braking is a concern of mine. I only know one person (brothers coworker) that has a Tesla and from what my brother told me, this is a big complaint of his. And obviously there have been plenty of recent complaints on this forum.

But anyways, I am mainly responding to you based on your first sentence as I can relate. I simply asked a question about phantom braking via PM to a TMC member that I thought might be a Tesla owner with AP and TACC experience and he posted my question in the investment thread and accused me of being a troll and spreading misinformation. Thought it was strange as I am just trying to gather as much information about the car that I am about to spend $55k+ on.

I don't have my Model Y yet so I don't have any direct experience with the AP or TACC. I am just here as the Phantom Braking is a concern of mine. I only know one person (brothers coworker) that has a Tesla and from what my brother told me, this is a big complaint of his. And obviously there have been plenty of recent complaints on this forum.

But anyways, I am mainly responding to you based on your first sentence as I can relate. I simply asked a question about phantom braking via PM to a TMC member that I thought might be a Tesla owner with AP and TACC experience and he posted my question in the investment thread and accused me of being a troll and spreading misinformation. Thought it was strange as I am just trying to gather as much information about the car that I am about to spend $55k+ on.
You will be fine as other 1+ million Tesla owners around the world. All I can add is after we got our 3 in 2019 for my wife I refused to drive my brand new SUV and was driving her car instead. End up selling SUV and getting used S for myself bc I simply couldn’t go back to terrible world of ICE any more. Once you go Tesla it’s game over for any ice love you had before. I have Cybertruck locked in and Y on order.

You will be fine as other 1+ million Tesla owners around the world. All I can add is after we got our 3 in 2019 for my wife I refused to drive my brand new SUV and was driving her car instead. End up selling SUV and getting used S for myself bc I simply couldn’t go back to terrible world of ICE any more. Once you go Tesla it’s game over for any ice love you had before. I have Cybertruck locked in and Y on order.
I don't have any ICE love and I can't wait to get my Model Y. However, the PB issues seem to affect Vision only cars and there is certainly not 1+ million plus Vision only Teslas on the road. I want to make sure I know what I am getting myself into. My wife's Telluride has TACC and autosteer and works great. I am hoping it works at least as good as that and would be lying if I said I didn't have concerns about the PB and making AP basically unusable.

Reactions: Petrol_Anon.
I don't have any ICE love and I can't wait to get my Model Y. However, the PB issues seem to affect Vision only cars and there is certainly not 1+ million plus Vision only Teslas on the road. I want to make sure I know what I am getting myself into. My wife's Telluride has TACC and autosteer and works great. I am hoping it works at least as good as that and would be lying if I said I didn't have concerns about the PB and making AP basically unusable.
Does Telluride has lane keep or actual active steering? Two different things. We traveled over 5k miles multi state road trips and I use AP 80-90% of the time. Best thing since sliced bread. My shoulders, back and neck have never been so relaxed after long drive.

You will be fine as other 1+ million Tesla owners around the world. All I can add is after we got our 3 in 2019 ..

This right here proves my earlier point about confusing / conflicting information about this issue. Here is someone who allegedly has been reading this thread but still cannot accept that the root of this problem lies with vision only Teslas.

There is a decent sized Reddit thread that just showed up yesterday (linked in the autonomous driving thread for this same issue), and many many owners are reporting this problem.

Again - vision only.

Does Telluride has lane keep or actual active steering? Two different things. We traveled over 5k miles multi state road trips and I use AP 80-90% of the time. Best thing since sliced bread. My shoulders, back and neck have never been so relaxed after long drive.

Not sure how to answer your question as I am not sure what the difference is between lane keep and active steering but I think I would describe it as active steering. All I know is that when its engaged it keeps my set speed, or slows if a car is in front of me, and it also steers to keep us in the lane. As with Tesla, you need to keep your hand on the wheel or it will alert you after a minute or so with it off.

With that said, its not perfect but does a great job. It just sometimes struggles when there is a big enough bend in the road but that is my only complaint. From what I have read and understand, Tesla cars would handle these bends much better which is something I am excited to try out.

This right here proves my earlier point about confusing / conflicting information about this issue. Here is someone who allegedly has been reading this thread but still cannot accept that the root of this problem lies with vision only Teslas.

There is a decent sized Reddit thread that just showed up yesterday (linked in the autonomous driving thread for this same issue), and many many owners are reporting this problem.

Again - vision only.
I am not saying vision only AP doesn’t have problems, Tesla is working on it and it will be fixed. If they weren’t confident in their system they wouldn’t pull the trigger on radar. Do you think they want this to fail and potentially tank their company? Give them a time to collect the data and to train the NN.

Reactions: Tezlowski
I am not saying vision only AP doesn’t have problems, Tesla is working on it and it will be fixed. If they weren’t confident in their system they wouldn’t pull the trigger on radar. Do you think they want this to fail and potentially tank their company? Give them a time to collect the data and to train the NN.

This is what I am hopeful for...that a OTA fix happens soon and before my Model Y arrives.