Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking so bad I want to return my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an older video but has several instances of dropping 25+ mph.

Yeah this is definitely indicative of the kind of experience I am currently having, but mine are all highway - I don't really drive 2 lane roads. As I said previously, I feel strongly that Tesla pushed this out without enough testing. I noticed in this video there is a lot of sun hitting the cameras from side angles and just generally a lot of 'panic' when it cannot correlate properly what is going on with the labeling around it. It makes the car really tough to relax in, so I end up driving without the cruise control. The problem with driving without the cruise control is that the car is damn near impossible to keep at a consistent speed without the TACC. I find myself going way too slow (regen is turned all the way up) or speeding out of control. This has to be fixed, I just dont know how to go about getting service to do something about it.

Test driving is how I came across the humming noise that shouldn’t be there. So there is certainly value there. I will say this would also be far less of an issue if tesla allowed you to test drive the car you are picking up like every dealer of every car I have ever bought. Here is the item you ordered, feel free to make sure it is in working order before you sign.
That some people (not you) are suggesting that a test drive is the answer is disingenuous but not surprising. Test drives in the modern era are short, you can't have a vehicle overnight, and the software loaded on a test drive vehicle will likely be unrelated to what you'll have on your vehicle. If you know what you're looking for you might be able to trigger braking but we had zero events in four hours of test driving spread over two days that included an hour of TACC on surface streets and limited-access expressways.

Our own vision-only MYLR generates frequent events on dry straight roads that happen to have rubbish bins out. And most roads without a wide median have curves where on-coming traffic can enter your line of sight which can also trigger braking when those vehicles have daytime running lights.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
Threads like this are about spreading the word so that people *know* this is something to look out for and go test drive. This is also a place where reports can continue to come in for a pulse on how current the problem might be. These things can’t happen however when you seem to marginalize and dismiss the issue entirely.

I wish I could test drive. My local service center just returned all of their demo cars and my SA says he’s not sure they will get any replacements. Now if I want to test drive I’ll have to drive two hours, which I’m not going to do any time soon. If people like me cannot test drive, threads like this would also be a good place to get information when and if tesla actually fixes the problem.

Test driving is how I came across the humming noise that shouldn’t be there. So there is certainly value there. I will say this would also be far less of an issue if tesla allowed you to test drive the car you are picking up like every dealer of every car I have ever bought. Here is the item you ordered, feel free to make sure it is in working order before you sign.
Go search YouTube, I don’t see it as wide spread and as dangerous like some are trying to picture it here. Also some here are saying same bs in comments on one of the youtube video I found with this problem.

That some people (not you) are suggesting that a test drive is the answer is disingenuous but not surprising. Test drives in the modern era are short, you can't have a vehicle overnight, and the software loaded on a test drive vehicle will likely be unrelated to what you'll have on your vehicle. If you know what you're looking for you might be able to trigger braking but we had zero events in four hours of test driving spread over two days that included an hour of TACC on surface streets and limited-access expressways.

Our own vision-only MYLR generates frequent events on dry straight roads that happen to have rubbish bins out. And most roads without a wide median have curves where on-coming traffic can enter your line of sight which can also trigger braking when those vehicles have daytime running lights.
All long time known things to trigger it even with radar based system and are there for your own safety. (Incoming traffic on two lane roads and other obstacles on the road.)

Reactions: boulder.dude
2021 Tesla Model Y review: Nearly great, critically flawed Have anyone seen this? Not the “don’t buy one” crap but the behavior it’s exhibiting? This is pretty much my experience as well. By the way, mine starting doing this a lot more after the last couple software pushes, or at least that’s the way it feels. Not sure if it’s related or not.
I found that article to be ridiculously overly dramatic. You are correct in stating it got a lot worse after some recent software. They need start using the FSD stack for TACC. It seems to do much better than their older stack with phantom breaking.

Reactions: voltaren
Since I know phantom BRAKING happens on windy two lane roads with hills and shadows, I have figured out a fix. I don't use autopilot when on those roads, but only on four lane highways, for which it was designed. Put your hands on the wheel and drive it yourself and see if phantom breaking occurs.

The video I posted is exactly the type of drive I would use cruise control on *any other car from the last 30 years*. It is exactly the type of road I use "cruise control" on *my radar equipped Tesla* *every day* *without issue*. You are suggesting that the design of the most advanced car there is cannot perform cruise control on a two lane road and that is okay because it is part of tesla's advanced design: so says the user manual.

Are we really so blind and cult-like we cannot just admit that yes, why can't this very small thing that *used to work* be addressed somehow? Can we not even admit that a car should at least have some form of cruise control? Or at least can not the owners who care about this and are affected by this have a place to find out what the status of it is? Instead of being able to freely report that the car does something or lacks something that is frustrating, this subject is met with the severe personal bias of "This problem is not something I care about, therefore it should not matter to anyone." or translated "it does not bother me to be unable to use cruise control on a two lane road, therefore it should not bother anyone".

This is just a thread to report a current issue. I am utterly baffled at the continued ritual denial.

Since I know phantom BRAKING happens on windy two lane roads with hills and shadows, I have figured out a fix. I don't use autopilot when on those roads, but only on four lane highways, for which it was designed. Put your hands on the wheel and drive it yourself and see if phantom breaking occurs.
I agree in part. I don't need the car to steer for me on two lane roads, but it would be nice to at least be able to use cruise control.

You relayed your personal experience to the group! Thumbs down!!!!

Keith

PS: Didn't WhiteWi say he was leaving us to our pity party and wouldn't be posting any more?

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
Yes. It would be nice to have the option to revert to plain old fashion cruise control that just keeps the car at a constant speed. No radar, no cameras, no ultrasound. Just basic CC. I wonder why Tesla doesn't allow it?
Hubris, I suspect. Also, it would be a tacit admission of failure. Not really failure, of course, but I suspect Tesla believes that’s how it will be perceived. I would have more respect for Tesla as a technology company if they said something like, “we know you paid for Vision Only TACC, but it’s not performing up to our standards yet so here’s basic CC to fall back on when you need to. We’ll keep basic CC available until TACC is out of Beta.“

You think that your cruise control is only for use on divided highways... sounds super advanced!!!

Too bad that isn't what the owners manual for Tesla MY says. The only restrictions on TACC or AP use are to not use them on tightly curving roads or city streets.

You will continue to make excuses and say "it isn't meant for that use case" (false statement) until they finally fix it over the next year or two... then you will claim that it ALWAYS worked great in all use cases and the people who say otherwise are short sellers.

Keith

The video I posted is exactly the type of drive I would use cruise control on *any other car from the last 30 years*. It is exactly the type of road I use "cruise control" on *my radar equipped Tesla* *every day* *without issue*. You are suggesting that the design of the most advanced car there is cannot perform cruise control on a two lane road and that is okay because it is part of tesla's advanced design: so says the user manual.

Are we really so blind and cult-like we cannot just admit that yes, why can't this very small thing that *used to work* be addressed somehow? Can we not even admit that a car should at least have some form of cruise control? Or at least can not the owners who care about this and are affected by this have a place to find out what the status of it is? Instead of being able to freely report that the car does something or lacks something that is frustrating, this subject is met with the severe personal bias of "This problem is not something I care about, therefore it should not matter to anyone." or translated "it does not bother me to be unable to use cruise control on a two lane road, therefore it should not bother anyone".

This is just a thread to report a current issue. I am utterly baffled at the continued ritual denial.
Precisely. Even though I am all about everything Tesla I really just want it to work. I am not blind to the facts and I will totally go buy something else if they don’t fix it.

Most hilarious thing that this great thread won’t affect Tesla sales at all. Go pat Yourself on the backs. We drive future while shills try to stop the progress.
I mean thats cool I guess? But, after you're done being all pompous and superior consider this:

Almost everyone here already drives a Tesla vehicle of some kind. We are pointing out a REAL problem that exists and causes REAL day to day issues with our satisfaction with the product. Whatever 'shill' you are talking about is really outside the vacuum of this particular forum. I posted because I wanted to bring real world, non-bullshit non-biased information to the conversation. I am not blindly loyal to any product, but I bought a Tesla because I feel like in terms of overall qualities it is currently the best product on the market in the EV space at any price. It has the best range, good technology, hands down the best charging network and a lot of other good things in its favor including a brilliant chief executive and great engineering team. But, we have to get this particular issue fixed. It's not a small problem and people are realizing it.

There will be a time, whether you like it or not, that people will have to vote with their feet. Once Tesla starts selling as many cars as, say, Hyundai every year, these kinds of discussions are not only pertinent but necessary. For reference, Hyundai sold 3.74 million cars in FY2020 and Tesla sold about 500,000. Now, Tesla is ramping fast and this will likely be much higher every year going forward, but I think you see my point. NO ONE is going to go buy, for example, an IONIQ5 with a cruise control thats not selectable to a normal, garden variety "non-nanny" cruise control, no way. You are talking about a transition from early adopter to mainstream and while that may be ok right now on a percentage of Tesla cars, its not going to cut it long term and everyone here including yourself knows it.

So, likewise go "pat yourself on the back" and enjoy your moment. We all enjoyed it.

Cheers
J

For me it was bad the other day on the highway.
I remember the guy behind me passed me and then slammed his brake fast as revenge of my Tesla constantly braking in front of him for no reason.
Im like ****!