Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking so bad I want to return my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everything Ive said on here and I believe what most in this particular thread have told is the truth exactly as it happened. Im not looking for problems, but Ive had my car a few months and this is a real problem that exists on my ModelY EXACTLY as I have documented it. Why the hell else would I pay $65K for a car I dont like? I didn’t know it was going to be an issue and - I bought my Tesla because I felt like it was the best purchase at the time. I also don’t care if Tesla “lied” or not, that kind of convective language gets no one anywhere. BUT - I do maintain they need to fix it. It’s a safety problem.

I personally have a hard time understanding why you don't believe the community? I just watched yet another anecdote online from Electrek talking about the same issue see here for that interview -

Cheers

J

I don’t see any attempt to provide video. As Tesla rep said without time stamp of the incident they can’t review it.

Who are you to keep demanding proof that me or anyone else has tried all the proper channels to get this issue fixed? It isn't anyone's job here to sell you on the fact that this is a problem, yet here you are demanding it. Complete lack of empathy and understanding on your part and it has gotten to a truly pathetic point in this thread. This is about people with a real issue trying to understand what the heck is wrong with their cars and why/how Tesla can fix it. Imagine any other issue on this forum you inject your constant downplaying it would be utterly ridiculous as it is now. "My MCU freezes up", WhiteWi, "Well mine doesn't I and I DEMAND proof that is actually does". "My AC stopped working", WhiteWi,"Well mine doesn't and I DEMAND proof that yours is broke!!!".

I have provided this information to Tesla and obviously they didn't bother to even look at it based on the response. The clips and bug reports were saved on the car. You know what, it doesn't matter because there isn't a thing Tesla service could do to fix it anyway. It was about reporting the issue to them. This thread is 14 pages long now of many people reporting issues, but you keep swooping in and casting doubt on nearly every post.

not all just few first time posters that jump straight on to the wagon. With unbelievable stories.
Here is one: I was driving on the straight prefect road during sunny day, no cars around and all the sudden my car braked and slowed from 100 to 20 speed of light. I was so lucky to be alone on the road or it for sure would have caused an accident. This is dangerous and Tesla obviously lied to me and everyone. I want dumb cruise for dumb driver and dumb car. Also FSD is scam and should we sue Tesla?
Did I cover it all? Great. Next

If some quirks exist give them time and it will be fixed.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, my wife was almost rear ended in the middle of an open highway in our 2021 Y. The truck behind her had to leave the road way to miss her. This was the 2nd time something this drastic happened. This on top of the daily braking shown below.

Yeah I did make a video on top of all the clips that were saved on our car. Shortly after that serious incident (before we sold the car) I got in and started driving down the road and filmed a short youtube video in just one evening showing just a normal evening on cruise control.

I'm a first-time poster to this thread. It caught my attention because I have had similar PB experiences as what has been posted here. I am a high-mileage driver, having had my 2021 M3LR since Aug 10, 2021 and the odometer reads 18,681 already. My experience is very similar to other posters in that expressway driving on AutoPilot is pretty reliable but using the TACC on two-lane highways is pretty unpredictable with a lot of PB events. My guess is that the Tesla coders are starting with the assumption that every car coming at you is going to crash into you unless/until their AI can determine otherwise. That might be the "safest" approach to avoid head-on collisions, but it is a very unrealistic approach. I hope Tesla is putting their supercomputer to good use on this issue and that changes will be coming to correct this problem.

Thanks, I saw this 3-4 vids. Just to clarify if Tesla reacts to incoming semi or car in opposing lane it is not phantom braking. If Tesla reacts some time to car next to you in the lane it is not phantom braking. Car is constantly analyzing surroundings and if it thinks car is about to side swipe you it reacts to it before it happens Aka not phantom braking again. Is system prefect? Of course not. Thanks. Next.
Also how selling the car but continue spreading FUD here is helping anyone? Why come here if you don’t own the car anymore?

Last edited:
Thanks, I saw this 3-4 vids. Just to clarify if Tesla reacts to incoming semi or car in opposing lane it is not phantom braking. If Tesla reacts some time to car next to you in the lane it is not phantom braking. Car is constantly analyzing surroundings and if it thinks car is about to side swipe you it reacts to it before it happens Aka not phantom braking again. Is system prefect? Of course not. Thanks. Next.
So you are saying that if the tesla reacts to a semi and slams on its break from 60 -> 27 even though its completely in the other lane its not phantom breaking? please define what is phantom breaking then. clearly if this is how everyone drove around, we would be getting in wrecks all the time. it seems to be that tesla is not able to analyze oncoming traffic accurately with its camera. and their software needs to be updated.

So you are saying that if the tesla reacts to a semi and slams on its break from 60 -> 27 even though its completely in the other lane its not phantom breaking? please define what is phantom breaking then. clearly if this is how everyone drove around, we would be getting in wrecks all the time. it seems to be that tesla is not able to analyze oncoming traffic accurately with its camera. and their software needs to be updated.
Brake* braking*
And no it is not phantom because you know exactly what caused it.

This is a ridiculous argument trying to push aside the problem by defining the term to not include it.

Whatever you want to call it, braking for a vehicle in a different lane is a problem. Braking for shadows and overpasses is a problem. Etc. I believe most here would call all of those "phantom braking," but even if you have a different definition of that term, those are still major problems with TACC when there's no basic CC available, and those problems are very much on topic here.

I haven't experienced these problems yet (still very new to my VO TACC car, only used TACC on divided highways so far) but it's very clear to me they're real, and I'll probably encounter them soon now that I own a car with autopilot.

Last edited:
This is a ridiculous argument trying to push aside the problem by defining the term to not include it.

Whatever you want to call it, braking for a vehicle in a different lane is a problem. Braking for shadows and overpasses is a problem. Etc. I believe most here would call all of those "phantom braking," but even if you have a different definition of that term, those are still major problems with TACC when there's no basic CC available, and those problems are very much on topic here.

I haven't experienced these problems at all, (my TACC mileage is limited and always on divided highways so far) but it's very clear to me they're real, and I'll probably encounter them soon now that I own a car with autopilot.
Phantom means you don’t know what caused Tesla to brake. Known causes are shadows, low overpasses, cars coming at you or next to you, bad lane markings. Tesla is well aware of those and working 24/7 to make system better. I don’t know what else you want to hear from them.

Phantom means you don’t know what caused Tesla to brake. Known causes are shadows, low overpasses, cars coming at you or next to you, bad lane markings.
So I should use that knowledge to avoid roads with shadows, low overpasses, and oncoming cars? 🧐

Knowing those are causes doesn't help us Tesla customers much. We still need them fixed, or need access to basic CC in addition to TACC.

Reactions: kabin
At the risk being labeled a troll, I just hit the Ignore option on a certain poster on this forum. It's clear to me that that person is not interested in discussion, and since I've been in internet communities since the 1990s, I've learned it's not worth engaging that kind of person.
Fellow troll here, apparently. I’ve done the same.

For me, It's pretty clean cut. If Tesla's autopilot brakes to a phantom target it's phantom braking. I hope they get their act together soon as NHTSA and potential brake check accidents almost certainly will.

This is the response you get when you attempt to provide Tesla service with video evidence, bug reports, and explanation of the same serious issues in the thread. This is my actual response from Tesla.

View attachment 742376
I have received similar dismissals from Tesla Service like this. It is frustrating when they say they they have remotely inspected your car and determined everything is working as expected so you must not really be having any problem. So we’ve gone ahead and cancelled your service appointment for you ☹️