Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking so bad I want to return my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your premises are wrong due to the fact phantom braking occurs in radar equipped cars too. Also, I don't see how rear facing radar will help at all given there aren't reports that Teslas are phantom braking in response to stimuli in the back, it's in the front.
Phantom braking is caused by the lack of software maturity, I would have used Ka-band for the front. Rear K-band radar is for rear cross-traffic alert, my current $30k vehicle has that option and works much better than visible cameras - Please read my above post carefully. Do you have a background in radar design? I would love to discuss it with you further.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Your premises are wrong due to the fact phantom braking occurs in radar equipped cars too. Also, I don't see how rear facing radar will help at all given there aren't reports that Teslas are phantom braking in response to stimuli in the back, it's in the front.
I've seen claims from people that part of phantom braking is caused by the fact that TACC is analyzing more than just the lanes ahead and that extra input either leads to errors from noise in the algorithm or legitimate braking events that mere mortals don't recognize (depending on your views of Tesla's infallibility.) Those ostensibly include traffic behind the car. It's not at all clear to me how braking for something behind you will do anything other than increase your chances of being rear-ended, but I've seen people make the claim.

Ultimately, I think @charlesoris is correct - it's primarily a software issue.

Phantom braking is caused by the lack of software maturity, I would have used Ka-band for the front. Rear K-band radar is for rear cross-traffic alert, my current $30k vehicle has that option and works much better than visible cameras - Please read my above post carefully. Do you have a background in radar design? I would love to discuss it with you further.
I don't have a background in radar design (although I studied it in more detail than most people in this forum, given I have been following Tesla's developments since even before AP1), but I don't see how it is relevant to the issue (in fact it can lead to a biased take to prefer a certain tech).

As you say yourself, the core issue with phantom braking is software design/preferences, it's not something that will be "solved" just by throwing hardware at it. In case it is not clear (not sure of your familiarity with Tesla's lineup), Tesla cars since AP1 back in October 2014 have had radar on it (and phantom braking has been reported since then, in fact explicitly because of using radar, to the point Tesla needed to create a geocoded whitelist for known stationary radar objects).
Tesla releases the details of its new radar processing technology: point cloud, 2-car ahead tracking & more
Tesla didn't move away from radar until May 2021:
Transitioning to Tesla Vision

Adding radar back would not have "solved most of phantom braking issues" given Teslas with radar still have phantom braking.

Last edited:
I've seen claims from people that part of phantom braking is caused by the fact that TACC is analyzing more than just the lanes ahead and that extra input either leads to errors from noise in the algorithm or legitimate braking events that mere mortals don't recognize (depending on your views of Tesla's infallibility.) Those ostensibly include traffic behind the car. It's not at all clear to me how braking for something behind you will do anything other than increase your chances of being rear-ended, but I've seen people make the claim.

Ultimately, I think @charlesoris is correct - it's primarily a software issue.
He changed his argument in his response. Read his original claim. It was that "By placing radars at the front and rear of the car, Tesla would have solved most of phantom braking issues". Saying it's a software issue is the opposite of that (and supports my rebuttal to the original argument).

Your point about the rear supports my point also, I have seen no evidence presented that phantom brake occurs in response to cars behind the vehicle, particularly vehicles that are in a different lane behind the Tesla (which is the position rear blindspot/cross traffic corner radars are aimed at).

If you have seen someone claiming that Tesla's system is braking for something behind, I would like to see a link to that. All I have seen is the suggestion that Tesla uses that as a variable to decide if it should brake (or how hard) in response to stimuli in front (meaning if there is no car behind, it is safe to brake harder; if a car is tailgating, then it is not safe). The latter makes complete sense in how to design the system and is a completely different idea than something behind being the "cause" of phantom braking in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWi
FSD-beta drove me home this morning from work/hospital to my house, 150 miles without making a single mistake. Just got in and said, "navigate home". Even did a perfect job on 5 miles of interstate construction. I did notice a lot of other non-Tesla cars which must be using FSD-beta. Talk about mistakes and dangerous maneuvers! Don't even get me started.........

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz and WhiteWi
He changed his argument in his response. Read his original claim. It was that "By placing radars at the front and rear of the car, Tesla would have solved most of phantom braking issues". Saying it's a software issue is the opposite of that (and supports my rebuttal to the original argument).

Your point about the rear supports my point also, I have seen no evidence presented that phantom brake occurs in response to cars behind the vehicle, particularly vehicles that are in a different lane behind the Tesla (which is the position rear blindspot/cross traffic corner radars are aimed at).

If you have seen someone claiming that Tesla's system is braking for something behind, I would like to see a link to that. All I have seen is the suggestion that Tesla uses that as a variable to decide if it should brake (or how hard) in response to stimuli in front (meaning if there is no car behind, it is safe to brake harder; if a car is tailgating, then it is not safe). The latter makes complete sense in how to design the system and is a completely different idea than something behind being the "cause" of phantom braking in the first place.
The change was due to my error of lumping the two radar systems (forward and rear) in one statement. These radars were mentioned for two different applications. I promise I will proofread my statements before hitting the button.
Edit: I don't think Tesla can make much more headway using only visual data input in all weather conditions, but there is always hope. Think positive.

Last edited:
The change was due to my error of lumping the two radar systems (forward and rear) in one statement. These radars were mentioned for two different applications. I promise I will proofread my statements before hitting the button.
Edit: I don't think Tesla can make much more headway using only visual data input in all weather conditions, but there is always hope. Think positive.
If the weather is bad enough that you need radar to see objects you really shouldn't be using cruise control, anyway.

Reactions: WhiteWi and DrGriz
If the weather is bad enough that you need radar to see objects you really shouldn't be using cruise control, anyway.
I've been on the freeway in a driving rainstorm and the Eyesight on my Subaru will eventually disengage with a warning about not being able to "see". But I've also been in situations where I could barely see the car in front of me from the spray being kicked up and my Eyesight functioned perfectly. I don't understand how a relatively inexpensive SUV like my Ascent has such good adaptive cruise and the Tesla doesn't.

I don't understand how a relatively inexpensive SUV like my Ascent has such good adaptive cruise and the Tesla doesn't.
Yes - that’s my question, too. We have a Forester and I’ve brought up the same question several times. I’ve been accused of being a Subaru fanboy because of it but really I’m just a fan of what works.

Read my response (the one directed at you) in whole, your point about the front radar is wrong too. Again, if it isn't clear: Teslas with front radar has phantom braking too. Your point is wrong because your premise is wrong.

Yes - that’s my question, too. We have a Forester and I’ve brought up the same question several times. I’ve been accused of being a Subaru fanboy because of it but really I’m just a fan of what works.
“The lead plaintiffs, all current and former Subaru owners, say that EyeSight technology suffers from a number of dangerous vehicle safety defects. These defects allegedly cause the lane assist function in Subarus to engage without reason, as well as the automatic braking system. Their class action lawsuit contends that the carmaker knew of these defects, but still sold the cars, touting their safety and reliability. “

Oh Subaru system is so prefect, not.
Just like you told me if something works for you doesn’t mean it works for everyone, right?
I wish most of you stop repeating ignorant statements about others got it working and Tesla don’t. Which is not true at all. If you do more research everyone has some way or another glitches and problems in Driving Assistance systems. So Tesla is no different in that regard but at least thanks to FSD beta they are working on it and constantly improving the reliability of such system.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: TheLex and gt2690b
“The lead plaintiffs, all current and former Subaru owners, say that EyeSight technology suffers from a number of dangerous vehicle safety defects. These defects allegedly cause the lane assist function in Subarus to engage without reason, as well as the automatic braking system. Their class action lawsuit contends that the carmaker knew of these defects, but still sold the cars, touting their safety and reliability. “

Oh Subaru system is so prefect, not.
Just like you told me if something works for you doesn’t mean it works for everyone, right?
I wish most of you stop repeating ignorant statements about others got it working and Tesla don’t. Which is not true at all. If you do more research everyone has some way or another glitches and problems in Driving Assistance systems. So Tesla is no different in that regard but at least thanks to FSD beta they are working on it and constantly improving the reliability of such system.
  1. The lawsuit you referenced cites lane keep assist and automatic emergency braking, not adaptive cruise which was the sole focus of my comment.
  2. I never claimed Subaru was perfect, just that I've never had a problem with the (vision-based) adaptive cruise.
  3. It's not just my experience; every other Subaru owner I've talked to has said their adaptive cruise works perfectly. If other people told me they were having problems I would answer differently.
  4. IME, it's trivially easy to find a Tesla owner that has had problems with TACC and phantom braking (actually, it's much more difficult to find people who haven't had problems with it.) With virtually every other car (including Subaru) it's the reverse.
For the record, I've never had a problem with AEB in our Forester, nor have any of the people I've spoken with, but I've never made any claims about Subaru's AEB system. Again, IME, the false activations of Tesla's AEB system are orders of magnitude higher than Subaru's but I don't have enough data to really make a comparison. I've seen several references to issues and lawsuits with AEB in several makes/models of cars, Tesla included. I'm not sure why the sudden flurry of activity. It could be that the systems are just more common now, it could be that it's just taken this long for problems to be uncovered or it could be a publicity issue. Regardless, saying 'see, other companies are just as bad as Tesla' isn't really a great argument. I expect Tesla to be at least as good if not better. They should set the bar higher, not struggle to achieve 'acceptable.'

Reactions: SpaceKat