Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking so bad I want to return my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went on a 250 mile trip yesterday. Hadn’t had any PB issues for at least two months on my regular commute. Had one bad one on the trip yesterday. My wife, who does not trust AP at all had been sleep which allowed me to put it on without her constant sucking of the teeth. Once the PB took place it woke her and I shut it off for the rest of the drive.

Reactions: Biggie
OP, your level of phantom braking is astonishing me. I live about 20 miles outside of Baton Rouge, LA. I drive with FSD almost constantly and have had 1 real case of PB since I was updated (about 10 days ago??) to 2021.12.25.7. You should consider contacting a service center. I also recommend keeping your foot lightly resting on the accelerator so you can quickly over rule the braking. Good luck!!
Recommend keeping your foot on the accelerator! When cruise is I was always taught to drive defensively and have your foot near the brake. I should not have to worry about a shadow on the road engaging my brakes like it does frequently. We should have the option of AI cruise and manual cruise. But the government and lawyers don’t have enough common sense to allow that.

So don’t use cruise control period. As I said, drive it like a normal car.

And yes, the bug report “feature” does not send anything back to Tesla. It adds a “bookmark” internally for the vehicle that no one ever looks at.

The only time Tesla potentially collects bug report data is when you are enrolled in the FSD beta. So that applies to like 5 people.
Normal cars built in the eighties on do have cruise control. I would love it Model Y had a setting to turn off the dumb aka AI cruise control.

I just made a 403 mile road trip on 2022.28.2. Car was flawless on Autopilot for the 342 miles it was engaged. It scooted over when car in the adjacent lane drifted over the line. Reacted quickly when all 3 lanes on I-75 slammed on brakes. All I can say is, Autopilot made my trip much easier.
We have made numerous long road trips in the MY with radar, and for the most part, Autopilot made driving easier with only the occasional phantom braking.

This was our first long road trip in the MY without radar, and the PB was the worst it has ever been, occurring while traveling 75mph on a divided four-lane highway with no other cars close by. The threat of unpredictable phantom braking made my wife nervous - which makes me nervous.

I just wish the car wasn't so nervous.

It ruins the experience, and I can understand why a group of owners is mounting the class action suit about it.

Reactions: Dennisis
We have made numerous long road trips in the MY with radar, and for the most part, Autopilot made driving easier with only the occasional phantom braking.

This was our first long road trip in the MY without radar, and the PB was the worst it has ever been, occurring while traveling 75mph on a divided four-lane highway with no other cars close by. The threat of unpredictable phantom braking made my wife nervous - which makes me nervous.

I just wish the car wasn't so nervous.

It ruins the experience, and I can understand why a group of owners is mounting the class action suit about it.
Agreed. Recently did two 2K plus road trips and braking was frequent and unpredictable - very irritating and much worse with latest vision only update. Very tentative and jerky on 28.2.

I just made a 403 mile road trip on 2022.28.2. Car was flawless on Autopilot for the 342 miles it was engaged. It scooted over when car in the adjacent lane drifted over the line. Reacted quickly when all 3 lanes on I-75 slammed on brakes. All I can say is, Autopilot made my trip much easier.
Wow, I wonder why our experiences are so different - my MY was frequently braking and unreliable on two recent long trips. Wish there was something we could point to...

Wow, I wonder why our experiences are so different - my MY was frequently braking and unreliable on two recent long trips. Wish there was something we could point to...
That’s the problem. I’ve noticed a significant improvement in PB while other seem to simultaneously experiencing more problems. There is so much variability that it’s impossible to pin anything down.

Reactions: DrGriz
That’s the problem. I’ve noticed a significant improvement in PB while other seem to simultaneously experiencing more problems. There is so much variability that it’s impossible to pin anything down.
Exactly. The stress factor of driving WITH Tesla CC of any kind is just too great. It ruins the experience, and the anxiety level is higher than simply...driving...the...car...

Reactions: Dennisis
It does sound as though, at least for those who are reporting in here, the cars that just lost radar are experiencing far more PB than folks like me who never had radar. I wonder if their PB is the slowdown when a car crosses the intersection in front of you sort (like when you wouldn't even slow) or if it's the scary slam on the brakes for no reason at 80 mph stuff I had last winter.

It does sound as though, at least for those who are reporting in here, the cars that just lost radar are experiencing far more PB than folks like me who never had radar. I wonder if their PB is the slowdown when a car crosses the intersection in front of you sort (like when you wouldn't even slow) or if it's the scary slam on the brakes for no reason at 80 mph stuff I had last winter.
I just did two road trips, almost 5k total, and had PB on open freeways, no other cars around. Also coming up to the top of a hill, straight shots in broad daylight, pretty much anywhere at any time. Only had issues last year with semi’s or merging lanes now anywhere. It sucks, very tentative all the time, going backwards. And I’ve had FSD for 4 years on a M3 and my current MY. And yes the scary slam on the brakes at 80 stuff though also slowdowns for no obvious reason.

I just did two road trips, almost 5k total, and had PB on open freeways, no other cars around. Also coming up to the top of a hill, straight shots in broad daylight, pretty much anywhere at any time. Only had issues last year with semi’s or merging lanes now anywhere. It sucks, very tentative all the time, going backwards. And I’ve had FSD for 4 years on a M3 and my current MY. And yes the scary slam on the brakes at 80 stuff though also slowdowns for no obvious reason.
I know the feeling. Were they 30 mph slowdowns, or like 5 mph?

I had PBs on a hill near my house because the car saw a power pole on the opposite side of the road and interpreted it as a person. Drive that every day. But it stopped in June. Weird stuff.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I know the feeling. Were they 30 mph slowdowns, or like 5 mph?

I had PBs on a hill near my house because the car saw a power pole on the opposite side of the road and interpreted it as a person. Drive that every day. But it stopped in June. Weird stuff.
Yeah I don’t get it. Kept my foot near the accelerator but got tired of it and just drove, never knew what would trigger it. 80 to 50’s and sometimes 5 mph drops, no obvious rhymes or reasons. Love the car but they’ve got to do better than this, totally PO’d right now.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Yeah I don’t get it. Kept my foot near the accelerator but got tired of it and just drove, never knew what would trigger it. 80 to 50’s and sometimes 5 mph drops, no obvious rhymes or reasons. Love the car but they’ve got to do better than this, totally PO’d right now.
I get it. There must be different variations of software out there beyond the 2022.xx.xx. Take hope that things have gotten better for many of us and they probably will for you as well.