Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking Solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting very hard, sudden braking when on cruise, right lane of two way, divided highway, and a car either is coming UP a ramp to merge, OR, car in front of me takes an off ramp (and not following too close; car is using cruise). Car brakes from 70mph or there about, down to 40 or so in less than 2 seconds. Luckily no one had been direclty behind me, but some have been close enough to give me the "dirty" look as they pass on my left. Car is on 2023.20.8. Any others seeing this?

I just completed a drive from Asheville, NC to Seattle, WA and had many instances of phantom braking. There are two flavors of this: the first is when driving down the interstate at 75 mph on autopilot and the car momentarily changes the speed set point from 75 to 55 mph and the regen attempts to slow the car down to 55. A second or two later the speed set point jumps back up to 75 mph. The braking is not overly severe in this case and typically the car does not lose more than 10 mph before it starts to recover. The second, and far worse case is where, while cruising down the interstate at 75 mph, the Model Y instantaneously jumps into max regen (full green regen bar) and everyone is flung forward into their seatbelt. This happens on the open road with no cars, overpasses, or anything else around. It sometimes recovers by itself and goes into max acceration to get the car back up to speed and sometimes it doesnā€™t recover until I jam my foot onto the accelerator. Iā€™ve turned off ā€˜auto emergency brakingā€™ and it still happens.

Fixing this should be the absolute top priority of the software team at Tesla. It needs to be fixed before someone is killed. I have three family members who will be buying EVs in the coming year and I will recommend that they get something other than a Tesla if this issue isnā€™t resolved. I talked to other Tesla drivers at Supercharger stations and they are having the same issues. We all agreed to start doing ā€˜bug reportsā€™ every time it happens

Fixing this should be the absolute top priority of the software team at Tesla.
Yup, but it isnā€™t, and hasnā€™t been for at least the five years Iā€™ve had my Model 3. Or maybe it is a priority but they just canā€™t fix it. Because they havenā€™t. And there is no indication they will.
It needs to be fixed before someone is killed. I have three family members who will be buying EVs in the coming year and I will recommend that they get something other than a Tesla if this issue isnā€™t resolved.
PB is the single most annoying issue I have, and Iā€™ve had it since purchase and 108 software updates. It sucks. It affects others apparently if the forums are to be believed. In fairness, Iā€™ve not read any post anywhere about PB causing a death, or even an accident but thatā€™s hardly proof neither has occurred. It is certainly colossally annoying especially to passengers and pets.
I talked to other Tesla drivers at Supercharger stations and they are having the same issues. We all agreed to start doing ā€˜bug reportsā€™ every time it happens.
Bug reports may make you feel better, but theyā€™re worthless. Early on I submitted dozens, maybe hundreds, of these thinking they actually went to Tesla. It was later determined these are stored in your car and could be accessed by service technicians. You will need to remember date and time of events for them to reasonably actually find your report but nothing, absolutely nothing, is sent to Tesla. Iā€™ve since given up bug reports for anything. Do a forum search on bug reports and youā€™ll find out the actual process. Even video recordings of these events are of little help other than to confirm the occurrence. After two service calls with video evidence, my car was found to beā€¦wait for itā€¦ā€operating as designed.ā€

Many cars-owners combinations do not experience, or report, or are not bothered by phantom braking. Several of us do, do, and are. We each handle it in our own way. For me that means foregoing TACC and AutoStuff for any trip with passengers or pets. Alone, I can deal with PB with a now well-practiced stream of epithets, then continue on. I will not own another Tesla and this is the single most impactful reason.

I regret the bitterness. Yeah, Iā€™m bitter.

I have a 2023 Model Y LR. The phantom braking is a huge problem. I disagree with others here who say only to file a bug report with Tesla. Tesla is not responsive to reports of problems - we should all be reporting to NHTSA. Their website is excellent and it's easy to file a detailed report. This is the only way to put any real pressure on Tesla - a company with no press relations office and which responds to inquiries with a poop emoji. How mature.

Here's the website: Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA