Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking still an issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr Miserable

Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2019
UK
Referral Code
I had 2 instances today of phantom braking which I wasn't prepared for since there was no bridge or gantry in sight at either event. I have no idea what spooked it but it bloody well spooked me.
OK so it's nowhere near as bad as it was in August when I got the car but it's still unnerving.
I'm still on 2019.36.2.1

Yes, the phantom does seem to be weaker since the v10 upgrade but he’s still lurking in the background.

We did a round trip of almost 300 miles the other day, around 250 motorway miles. On the way out in daylight used TACC most of the way and autosteer perhaps for 60% of the time. Don’t recall the phantom striking on the way out but on the way back in the dark he struck a few times, at lowish speeds, for no good reason.

Also when indicating and changing lanes with autosteer on, need to wrestle with the car a little at times to take back steering control. Maybe need to give the car a bit more time during the baton changeover.

Always seems to happen to me when overtaking a lorry. Approaching from behind, I pull out quite a long way back from lorry, no other cars around, and the car just touches the brakes when I get almost into the next lane. Every time.

Mine phantom brakes just about every time I try to overtake anyone..! I've almost given up on it.

I’ve already given up on it. I had two instances in one journey when, pulling out from lane 2 into lane 3, it really jammed the breaks on and took me down to about 40 mph. No reason at all. Cue lots of flashing and raised fingers from the car behind who, all credit to him, avoided driving up my jacksie. It was downright dangerous, and I won’t be using it till it’s out of beta.

My 2 instances were no 'touch of brake' type but rather a 'stomp of brake' events.

Seems to be a wide interpretation of phantom braking, ranging from stomp on brake and just lifting.

Personally, I think just 'lifting' is not phantom braking, and normally feels worse than it really is - you only need to look at dashboard to see what a 1mph lift feels like - hardly a phantom brake event.

However, stomping on brakes, and knocking considerable speed off, as per Mr Miserables stomp, or Artistes jam on to 40, are clearly a major issue and if no known reasonable reason can be given for it, probably worth raising a 'bug report, phantom braking' for followed up by an app event as I am not sure simply raising a bug report actually does anything.

imho

Reactions: Yev000
I’ve had that a few times: it meets the description of emergency braking, which according to the manual does not aim to stop the car completely, only to slow the car down to reduce the speed of impact. Only with no plausible cause.

I’m struggling a bit with phantom braking. Yesterday, 70mpf on a dual carriageway overtaking a car, moved out with plenty of time, outside lane clear for ever ahead and car brakes to 60 as I try to pass. A similar thing happened further on on the same road (which has full central crash barriers. This time I put it down to a van in the outside lane travelling in the opposite direction. The worst incident was experienced by my wife when driving in a local street. As she passed a builders van, the owner walked along its side, well away from our car which slammed the anchors on to everyone’s shock

There’s a recently rebuilt stretch of the A1 where it does it every time. I let it go as slow as it wanted last night as there was no one behind me. Gradual but forceful braking from 70 down to 30, then I took over.

that particular spot is because the maps are out of date, probably for when it was mid-construction, and it thinks the A1 isn’t useable and needs to turn off onto a side road and stay on it until it joins the A1 again about half a mile ahead.

• Informative
Reactions: Cogarch
I recently returned from a pleasant 600-mile round trip to Edinburgh on which I was finally able to master the knack of driving long distance with AP. I still had about 4 instances of violent phantom braking and in at least two of the cases it became clear to me what was causing it.

It has been noted elsewhere that the driving visualisation is about half a second behind reality. I had always understood that this applied only to the visualisation and not to actual AP behaviour. However now I am not so sure. On at least two occasions I was seeking to return to the left-hand lane after passing a truck. I was safely past the truck and clear to move (with hindsight the truck driver might have preferred me to give it a couple more seconds). However as far as the visualisation was concerned the truck was still next to me in the slow lane, so the system panicked when I tried to move left. If I had not been on my own in the car, after the emergency braking I think my passengers would have panicked too.

This is arguably a major issue, as it suggests that AP is making safety-related decisions based upon obsolete information. It suggests that I need to be equally mindful not only of what is the case but also of what the visualisation thinks is the case.

Last edited:
On at least two occasions I was seeking to return to the left-hand lane after passing a truck. I was safely past the truck and clear to move (with hindsight the truck driver might have preferred me to give it a couple more seconds). However as far as the visualisation was concerned the truck was still next to me in the slow lane, so the system panicked when I tried to move left. If I had not been on my own in the car, after the emergency braking I think my passengers would have panicked too.

Yes this seriously annoys me along with the lane departure message when I am moving lanes...

Just to post here rather than create a new thread. The phantom braking on mine is a bit of a nuisance, I have to admit. I had the BMW slam its brakes on for no apparent reason a few times but this must have happened 10 times in the 10 days I have had it. Probably will just need tweaking over time.

It usually happens for me on bends, when a car is coming round the corner in the opposite direction.