Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking still an issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't see this thread, so I started a new one. My apologies. For the record, on two 250 mile journeys yesterday and today (M3P, hardware version 3.0, latest software), I experienced;

• Multiple instances of hard phantom braking when passing under motorway bridges (dull light, drizzle/rain, daytime)
  • Multiple instances of the car dabbing on the brakes when pulling out to avoid a truck, despite me pulling out a long way before the AP would have braked
  • Lorries jumping lanes randomly in the FSD preview
  • Speed limit changes (70 to 65 typically) without any input from myself.
  • Failure to recognise temporary speed limits in areas of roadworks or on smart motorways
It's downright dangerous, Tesla shouldn't be allowing the public to use such a glitchy product before the quirks have been ironed out. Not everyone would have been as attentive as I happened to be at that moment, and I was lucky nobody was right up my tail when the brakes slammed on.

Reactions: Wol747
  • Multiple instances of hard phantom braking when passing under motorway bridges (dull light, drizzle/rain, daytime)
  • Multiple instances of the car dabbing on the brakes when pulling out to avoid a truck, despite me pulling out a long way before the AP would have braked
  • Failure to recognise temporary speed limits in areas of roadworks or on smart motorways

I haven't had it as bad as you describe, but yes. Usually when significant difference in light levels &/or large flat surfaces above the road I am on.
Yes, with current 2020.24.6.1 was somewhat frustrated to find this is still a common ocurrance, but if I strike the sweet spot that 'dab' becomes a 'slam'.
Probably down to 'old' visualisation method and not worth giving further consideration to until the 're-write' lands.
Down to GPS map data which is reportedly not great. Not helped by Tesla not really advising how or when it uses 'un-signed' GPS speed changes for on / off ramps, junctions etc. I have had this catagory slow me down to 40 then back up to 70 even though driving in 50mph section with roadworks.
Not possible at the moment. Sign recognition supposed to be coming 'soon'.

Reactions: Pablosammy
There was a suggestion that phantom breaking occurring under bridges might be caused by a different speed limit on the crossing road. I think this may well be correct, because today passing over A46 on A45 (Coventry) resulted in my speed limit change briefly up to 70mph on a 50mph road, not a problem in this case but the reverse would have caused phantom breaking.
I have 2020.28.2 with recent Nav and GPS updates. Many incorrect speed limits have been corrected.

I didn't see this thread, so I started a new one. My apologies. For the record, on two 250 mile journeys yesterday and today (M3P, hardware version 3.0, latest software), I experienced;

It's downright dangerous, Tesla shouldn't be allowing the public to use such a glitchy product before the quirks have been ironed out. Not everyone would have been as attentive as I happened to be at that moment, and I was lucky nobody was right up my tail when the brakes slammed on.

Sorry to resurrect a thread. Was this with AP or TACC?

There was a suggestion that phantom breaking occurring under bridges might be caused by a different speed limit on the crossing road. I think this may well be correct, because today passing over A46 on A45 (Coventry) resulted in my speed limit change briefly up to 70mph on a 50mph road, not a problem in this case but the reverse would have caused phantom breaking.
I have 2020.28.2 with recent Nav and GPS updates. Many incorrect speed limits have been corrected.

But the car doesn't respond to decreases in speed limit though. If you go from a 70 to a 50 with TACC on it doesn't slow down. Why would that trigger phantom braking?

Reactions: bhav
TACC does alter speed in some situations/locations e.g. A45/A46 slip road to roundabout (at Coventry Eastern Bypass) to take A45: The speed changes automatically from 50 to 35(25) every time! I’m on 2020 28.6

TACC does alter speed in some situations/locations e.g. A45/A46 slip road to roundabout (at Coventry Eastern Bypass) to take A45: The speed changes automatically from 50 to 35(25) every time! I’m on 2020 28.6

I've only had my SR+ a week and it's basic AP but the only time I've seen it slow down is when a car in front does on TACC or there's a collision warning. I don't think mine's ever slowed down as I enter a lower posted speed limit?

I think some YouTube reviewer (supercarsoflondon) or something did a test driver and slated the Tesla auto drive and cruise control function this week. - apparently it’s awful

Ye I saw that one. Looks like it thought something was in front and did a full emergency stop on the motorway.

In the manual TACC is meant to only slow down for traffic in front, but otherwise not adjust the speed as speed limits change. However, I've read a lot of people have had it change speed anyway. I would be curious to know if you disabled collision warning / avoidance and used 'basic' TACC - would it still phantom brake?