Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

It’s clear that phantom braking is a well known issue for Tesla and they are trying to fix it, with very mixed results. The latest beta software update only aims to improve it, not eliminate it. They clearly don’t have a solution yet.

The only sensible thing Musk has ever said about FSD is when he acknowledged it’s much harder to achieve than he thought. In 2015 he described autonomy as pretty much a “solved problem” and predicted complete autonomy be 2018. Nearly four years later and it’s still many years away, especially in this country.

I've had my M3 for just over two weeks, driven over 1k miles since then with over 60% of that being on Autopilot.
No major issues at all, I think I've had about 4 slight slowdowns (~3mph) but they were all in areas where it made sense.
Happened 3 times when a junction joined the dual carriage way, and once when a car infront indicated left to pull infront of a truck beside me. (It looked to me like AP saw the indicators reflecting off the side of the truck and though that the truck was about to move into my lane)

It's also worked perfectly in pretty heavy rain and fog.
I wonder if recalibrating the cameras on the cars where AP isn't working properly would help fix the issue?
Also, how far is your follow distance generally? Mine is usually around 4-5 unless traffic is going pretty slow and then I'll have it lower.

I've had my M3 for just over two weeks, driven over 1k miles since then with over 60% of that being on Autopilot.
No major issues at all, I think I've had about 4 slight slowdowns (~3mph) but they were all in areas where it made sense.
Happened 3 times when a junction joined the dual carriage way, and once when a car infront indicated left to pull infront of a truck beside me. (It looked to me like AP saw the indicators reflecting off the side of the truck and though that the truck was about to move into my lane)

It's also worked perfectly in pretty heavy rain and fog.
I wonder if recalibrating the cameras on the cars where AP isn't working properly would help fix the issue?
Also, how far is your follow distance generally? Mine is usually around 4-5 unless traffic is going pretty slow and then I'll have it lower.
That's interesting, as that is my experience in my 2019 Model 3. Yet others on here say phantom braking is awful - I wonder why there is such a difference. Maybe keeping cameras and sensors cleaned helps, or maybe it is a calibration issue as you say. I have my follow distance set 4-6 usually. 3 and below is clearly too close on a motorway (but this is how the majority of people drive anyway).

That's interesting, as that is my experience in my 2019 Model 3. Yet others on here say phantom braking is awful - I wonder why there is such a difference. Maybe keeping cameras and sensors cleaned helps, or maybe it is a calibration issue as you say. I have my follow distance set 4-6 usually. 3 and below is clearly too close on a motorway (but this is how the majority of people drive anyway).
That’s my experience, I suspect driving style has a lot to do with it.

Reactions: init6
The general recommendation is 1 car length per 10mph, though I do admit to having mine set at 6 lengths on the motorway and currently never have a car within 10 lengths behind me if using FSD 'cos 3 episodes of full-on emergency brakes (for no reason) over the years has taken its toll. It doesn't have to happen often to mess with confidence in the car. Give it time it'll happen to you if you've been lucky so far.
There are so many unforgivably stupid programming errors one sees. Today I was chilly (fan speed 3) and said 'Fan speed to high' which was interpreted correctly on screen followed by 'decreasing fan speed by 1'

I'm sure I read that the follow distance settings on TACC is 0.5 secs per increment. i.e. position 4 would meet the 2 second rule. The manual doesn't specify the time, but does say:
Each setting corresponds to a time-based distance that represents how long it takes for Model 3, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you.
I'll see if I can find my original source.