Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderation comment - thread renamed from "Phantom braking getting bad. (TACC/AP) [Not AEB]"

Phantom breaking has got a lot worse after last 2 updates. It used to be a lot better. Now feels like it going to do it anytime you get close to a truck/lorry even when they are clearly in their lane. Happened about 9 times on a round trip journey of 150 miles today and a couple of times there was a driver behind, could have easily slammed into the back of me as these breaking are quite violent. Before the last 2 updates this would happen very rearly and I had a lot of confidence in the system .. anyone else experiencing this same problem? And what are your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
*should* be fixed in the rewrite (acknowledged at least!)

9782673C-D53B-4DC5-BC60-C8316A7D4F79.jpeg

I just downloaded the latest version 2020.40.3 doing a motorway run tomorrow so will see... Hoping that at least it has gone back to the previous level which was once in a blue moon.. but an improvement on that would be nicer.....
With current version they might as well turn off the requirement for confirming your there by bugging the steering wheel.. as the brakes are constantly be slammed so your hanging on for dear life anyway...lol

• Funny
Reactions: kavyboy and Roy W.
Breaking Bad II: The Tesla Factor.

Seriously, my wife won't let me run in AP mode when she is in the car. The phantom braking scares her.
Keep in mind she's no stranger to Automatic Emergency Braking or AutoSteering systems. For me it's just a matter of embarrassment. I cover the throttle when other cars are around. Sort of defeats the purpose of TACC.

Yes I said throttle. Sometimes I want to throttle it.

Last edited:
Breaking Bad II: The Tesla Factor.

Seriously, my wife won't let me run in AP mode when she is in the car. The phantom braking scares her.
Keep in mind she's no stranger to Automatic Emergency Braking or AutoSteering systems. For me it's just a matter of embarrassment. I cover the throttle when other cars are around. Sort of defeats the purpose of TACC.

Yes I said throttle. Sometimes I want to throttle it.

Same here - alarming for all passengers and horrendous for cars behind. I’ve only had my car for 2 weeks (1200 miles covered) and on average for every 30 miles on TACC I get 3 phantom breaking episodes. Just too stressful to use in it’s current guise IMHO.

I have had my model 3 for over a year.. I used to be brilliant.. with the odd phantom brake happening going under another motorway which would confuse it.. but they mostly had that sorted.. now it's dangerous if a car is behind you.... I used to be comfortable going to nav on autopilot and letting people see what it could do... Now, no chance I'm constantly expecting it to slam on the brakes.... Will test new update tomorrow as got 100 mile each way motorway drive .

I regard TACC/AP as being totally unfit for purpose. No wonder it’s in permanent beta. I have absolutely no confidence in Elon saying it “should” be fixed - doesn’t sound like he’s very confident either.

What is particularly frustrating is that I’ve enjoyed some form of adaptive cruise control for years, and I had no idea what “phantom braking” was until I got a Tesla. It’s a big step backwards, along with the crap windscreen wipers and crap auto headlights . . . . .

I'm new round here, only had the Tesla M3 for 2 weeks.

Good grief.... the sudden braking on autopilot.

I have also had lots of messages about defective camera in door pillar, and occasionally multiple cameras... The car has to go back into the service centre (I don't think there is a tesla that hasn't been back for something a PDI should have picked up) so I mentioned this...

Quote from service centre
"passenger pillar camera non operational. Intermittent
Please note, these cameras, as well as the Autopilot behavior you are experiencing are on Beta. We have pulled logs and cannot see anything un-usual. We can continue to look further into these for you, please simply provide a date and time, if possible a location, and we can look further."

Sadly this is all part of the Tesla experience. Phantom braking is of course very well documented, and some think it has got noticeably worse after the last couple of software updates. Apparently it’s called progress!

Messages about one or multiple cameras being blocked or blinded are very common in bad weather. Autopilot software is, seemingly, in permanent beta, which at least can be offered as an excuse when it doesn’t work.

I had the worst kind of phantom braking the other day in a 20 zone, full emergency brake for no reason what so ever. Went back over the dashcam and the only thing I could find was a slightly dark line in the road from a repair, but nothing that the radar would have seen and a lot more subtle than most of the other patchy roads. First time I'd had the car fully slam on the brakes to a complete stop, wasn't helped by having cricked my neck the day before.
Yeh me too. I just posted a new thread:
Recent incidence of emergency braking (AEB)

This is not phantom braking on TACC or AP which is a nuisance, but full blown emergency braking. I was very lucky not to get rear ended today. It totally ****ed itself moving off on a pedestrian crossing, with a queue of traffic behind.

In the years I’ve owned the car and over 50K miles not a single emergency brake, now two bogus full lock emergency brakes episodes in two weeks...it’s simply unsafe.

After over 4 years of Tesla driving, I can definitely say that 'phantom braking' is at its worst. This seems to have coincided with the most recent updates. I'm currently on 2020.40.3
Honestly my EAP experience since owning the car has been a pretty contiguous worsening path. Features such as overtake on AP just vanished, and subsequent updates in my opinion have made the AP on the whole appreciably worse!

The car is definitely more “stupid” now when it comes to AP ability then it was at the beginnings of ownership, and that’s not familiarity breeding contempt but objectively poorer. I struggle to understand how it could actually have been better in 2017 than it is in 2020, but it’s worse on all accounts now as far as I’m concerned. It’s totally regressed in quality.

Each update has removed more features and made it less useful.

• Helpful
Reactions: Country Boy
I regard TACC/AP as being totally unfit for purpose. No wonder it’s in permanent beta. I have absolutely no confidence in Elon saying it “should” be fixed - doesn’t sound like he’s very confident either.

What is particularly frustrating is that I’ve enjoyed some form of adaptive cruise control for years, and I had no idea what “phantom braking” was until I got a Tesla. It’s a big step backwards, along with the crap windscreen wipers and crap auto headlights . . . . .

Yes exactly this, TACC is a poor product in comparison to other manufacturers, now I can't even use basic cruise control without being forced into experiencing phantom braking!