Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking while using Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
False positives have been an issue ever since the introduction of the first version of the Autopilot suite. Like with the old Hardware 1 Autopilot, the current Autopilot system will continue to improve over time via software updates and false positives will occur much less often. If you're paying attention, it's not hard to counter false positive braking with a quick jab of the accelerator.

In these situations, you should always do a bug report. Press the mic button and say "bug report" and the issue (all as one sentence).

By doing the bug report, Tesla can pull the car log to see the exact issue.

Is "bug report" documented in the manual anywhere? I've seen discussions that just mentioned Play, Navigate and Call as the only voice commands available.

I wonder if this erratic AP behavior will be corrected in the new software update to be released supposedly with the next few weeks.

You have to consider the opposite behavior, where the software ignores some obstruction in front of you and runs into it. The phantom braking is being overly cautious in order to prevent frontal collisions. It will hopefully get better at recognizing false positives over time.

Is "bug report" documented in the manual anywhere? I've seen discussions that just mentioned Play, Navigate and Call as the only voice commands available.

Yes it is. From the manual:

Contacting Tesla
For detailed information about your Model 3,
go to www.tesla.com, and log on to your Tesla
Account, or sign up to get an account.
If you have any questions or concerns about
your Model 3, call 1-877-79TESLA
(1-877‑798-3752).
Note: You can also use voice commands to
provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note",
"Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" followed
by your brief comments.
Model 3 takes a
snapshot of its systems, including your current
location, vehicle diagnostic data, and screen
captures of the touchscreen. Tesla periodically
reviews these notes and uses them to
continue improving Model 3.

Known issue - happened a few times on a road trip two months ago, in heavier traffic while driving underneath overpasses. Since then, when I approach an underpass I have my foot on the accelerator pedal and apply light pressure, just to the point where the car starts to recognize you're speeding up intentionally.

Hasn't happened again since - over 6000 miles later. I've read somewhere that Tesla is collecting information about specific bridges/areas (via bug report or otherwise) that the phantom braking occurs in order to study how to incorporate into Autopilot while still keeping aware. Not sure how much truth there is into that but hopefully they figure it out.
+1 but I just hover foot prepared to intervene. This happens but not a lot and is usually direct camera sun, overpass or tree shading from low angle sun. It is surprising but more an annoyance than dangerous. I m always keeping an eye on autopilot and ready to flick it off and resume manual operation. I prefer a cautious AP to one that is not.

Were you passing under a bridge that cast a shadow on the road in front of you? In most cases that’s what causes these sudden braking events.
I just returned to New Hampshire from a driving trip to visit family in Wisconsin and Michigan. I had several instance of sudden slowing while in cruise control when passing under bridges during the days and when certain on coming bright lights encountered. That might be blue police lights at a construction site or headlight reflections off a billboard or large highway sign.
Is there a fix?