Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking will get a lot worse before it gets better

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If a car merges too close to in front of you, do you still follow them at that reduced distance hoping they won't brake unexpectedly?

There used to be a technique called 'defensive driving' which seems to be forgotten now.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
If a car merges too close to in front of you, do you still follow them at that reduced distance hoping they won't brake unexpectedly?

There used to be a technique called 'defensive driving' which seems to be forgotten now.

It's a tricky situation, especially for large trucks. Don't want to brake suddenly and heavily in case someone is following them too closely or it causes the trailer to jackknife. If someone cuts in front the general advice is to do nothing initially, maybe slow a little, but at that point any accident is entirely their fault and in the car vs. truck battle they are going to lose, so best not to compound their error.

There's too much of the 'blame game' going on in society these days and especially on the roads. It's not always someone else's fault, but that seems to be the default behaviour. Many car drivers don't appreciate what it's like to slow and stop a big truck and don't give them enough room, so again it's not just a problem with Teslas on FSD.

There will certainly be difficult times ahead as we further integrate autonomous driving with human driving.

Isn't this non beta feature (TACC) the one which contribute to phantom braking?
Yes it is, but unlike traffic aware cruise control which almost every other manufacturer uses out there which is radar logic only, the TACC uses the full logic as used by autopilot which is the combination of cameras, radar, and ultrasonic input, to determine where the road goes, where you're going, and where other obstacles are. So while TACC is not considered beta, the fact is that all autopilot features are constantly evolving around the neural network and that makes pretty much all features beta.

Phantom braking has vastly improved for me since I got my car last year. It has almost completely disappeared for me (version 2019.20.4). In the last 6 months, I've only had one minor phantom braking incident from a shadow on the road and that's it.

Do you use AP on the non-freeways ? That is where I normally get phantom braking.

Yes all the time. 90% of my AP use is non-freeways. And I did get a small phantom braking incident today. It is definitely a lot rarer than before and less severe. I remember when I first got my Model 3 a year ago, I had a severe phantom braking incident on my very first drive home from the delivery center. Scared the crap out of me. But now, I only get a minor phantom braking incident once every few months.

Reactions: EVNow
Right now I am too scared to use EAP sadly... Tunnels are a nightmare, and there's a lot of them here in my mountainous country.
People think I am brake checking them constantly and it's becoming a real PITA (literally).

First problem is all the microbraking and violent ghost braking for no reason.
Second problem is that it picks up speed limits from crossing bridges and slows down violently.
Third problem is that it thinks bus pockets / stops is the road turning to the right, so it tries to violently steer me into those.

Right now I am too scared to use EAP sadly... Tunnels are a nightmare, and there's a lot of them here in my mountainous country.
People think I am brake checking them constantly and it's becoming a real PITA (literally).

First problem is all the microbraking and violent ghost braking for no reason.
Second problem is that it picks up speed limits from crossing bridges and slows down violently.
Third problem is that it thinks bus pockets / stops is the road turning to the right, so it tries to violently steer me into those.

Sorry to hear that.

May I ask where you live and what type of Tesla you have? Do you have a AP1/AP2/AP3 Model S or X or 3?

I ask because your experience is completely opposite to my experience on AP. But I live in the US in a rural area with no tunnels and I have a AP2.5 Model 3 on the latest software (2019.20.4.5) so that might explain why my AP experience is so much better than yours.

Sorry to hear that.

May I ask where you live and what type of Tesla you have? Do you have a AP1/AP2/AP3 Model S or X or 3?

Norway
S75D made in july 2018. AP 2.5

I ask because your experience is completely opposite to my experience on AP. But I live in the US in a rural area with no tunnels and I have a AP2.5 Model 3 on the latest software (2019.20.4.5) so that might explain why my AP experience is so much better than yours.

Also on 2019.20.4.5

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
Moved from 2019.20.4 to 2019.24.4, and alas my phantom braking which had been getting better for a few releases, abruptly got worse again.

That's also my experience.

Does it happen consistently for you folks? I've seen similar regressions in past updates (e.g. 2019.5.15 as well as 2019.20.x) for the first few drives, but it seems to improve over time with the same version. Ready to bite my tongue when I get 24.4 and see for myself :confused:

Does it happen consistently for you folks? I've seen similar regressions in past updates (e.g. 2019.5.15 as well as 2019.20.x) for the first few drives, but it seems to improve over time with the same version. Ready to bite my tongue when I get 24.4 and see for myself :confused:

Consistent in my case, especially on 2-lane roads (speed limit 45 mph) is very consistent. Abruptly braking for a parked car on the shoulder or for a car in front of you about turning to a side street. I'm now not using TACC anymore because of this.