Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP1 is still better at minimizing phantom braking compared to AP2+ versions.

^^ This

Driving a loaner with AP2 yesterday. Had phantom braking three times in a forty minute drive! With my AP1 MX I might get phantom braking once a year.

This was a clear day, on well marked roads with limited traffic. In all cases it appeared to be triggered by shadows on the road.

I was planning on upgrading my MX when FSD is fully implemented. But between loosing free supercharging and this unacceptable braking I may be waiting a lot longer.

P.S. I will say that the steering on AP2 is much more solid than AP1 in borderline situations.

maybe it picks up the speed limit. watch the GPS speed limit in the display

So I thought this was a great point... I have 2 places I know that for some reason the speed limit in the Tesla goes from 50mph to 35mph and back to 50mph over less than a quarter mile- even with the new speed limit sign reading (which is not what the real speed limit does- it just stays 50mph)... its just something in the map that's incorrect (but not incorrect in WAZE). I just know when I'm driving in those spots to never use autopilot.

Reactions: emmz0r
The worst thing about this IMO is that I cannot even use "regular old cruise control" without stressing about this.
Sadly this is true, I'm disappointed that I can't even use cruise control on the highway now because of the phantom braking fear (and yes it has happened to me many times on clear straight roads). I don't blame the technology I blame Tesla, I've had other cars that have used radar systems and they never phantom braked, ever!
I've looked and I can't see that adaptive cruise can be disabled, that would cure it because after 8 years they are probably never going to make it work right 'with a software update'.

Reactions: COS Blue
Does anyone have a problem with Phantom Braking? I've had problems with this since I bought my Model S 2019 a year ago. The car will suddenly hit the brakes hard when I am in cruise control. It has happened several times on the highway when I was going fast, 70 yo 75 and slowed me quickly to 55 or so. Had the roads been wet, I fear I could have had an accident. I took it in to the service facility and they said they were unable to replicate the problem. Any help would be appreciated. JamesO43
YES..... We have a new Model Y which we purchased in May of 2020. At first I didn't know what it was and was frighten when it occurred. It has happened at least 8 to 10 times and this has happened when the car was set to just cruise control. My wife gets frightened too as we drive down the road. I at first I was thinking, "what the heck is going on with this car to make it react like this?" If anyone knows how to stop it by altering the settings of the car on the screen please let me know. It is very upsetting when it happens.

YES..... We have a new Model Y which we purchased in May of 2020. At first I didn't know what it was and was frighten when it occurred. It has happened at least 8 to 10 times and this has happened when the car was set to just cruise control. My wife gets frightened too as we drive down the road. I at first I was thinking, "what the heck is going on with this car to make it react like this?" If anyone knows how to stop it by altering the settings of the car on the screen please let me know. It is very upsetting when it happens.
Keep your foot over the accelerator so you can react if needed. Not ideal but that seems to work the best.

• Funny
Reactions: P100D_Me
If anyone knows how to stop it by altering the settings of the car on the screen please let me know. It is very upsetting when it happens.
You can't stop it, if Tesla allowed the cruise control to be activated without adaptive cruise monitoring the system then we'd be fine.
It is depressing that these cars have such terrible and dangerous operational bugs that Tesla won't (or cannot) fix, the first cruise control I had was in a late 80's car and it was a cable connected to the throttle......it worked better 😥

Reactions: COS Blue and Wol747