Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My biggest fear is getting rear ended in LA traffic. When you're cruising at 70 mph and suddenly the brakes come on to slow you down to 50 in less than 2 seconds with no obstacles in sight, I consider that a pretty big hazard. So from now on I won't use auto pilot at all until Tesla can come up with a good fix. My coworker has the same problem as I'm sure many other Tesla drivers do.

My biggest fear is getting rear ended in LA traffic. When you're cruising at 70 mph and suddenly the brakes come on to slow you down to 50 in less than 2 seconds with no obstacles in sight, I consider that a pretty big hazard. So from now on I won't use auto pilot at all until Tesla can come up with a good fix. My coworker has the same problem as I'm sure many other Tesla drivers do.
DOnt worry. THe Tesla apologists here will tell you that it would be the fault of the driver behind you that slams into your car and possibly kills you. So relax! Wont be your fault!

DOnt worry. THe Tesla apologists here will tell you that it would be the fault of the driver behind you that slams into your car and possibly kills you. So relax! Wont be your fault!
It's not your fault. That doesn't bring comfort to those impacted. However, there's no reason it's just Tesla Apologists involved. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and GM have all had issues with assisted driving "phantom braking". A couple years ago Nissan Rogues were investigated after hundreds of complaints of phantom braking. Current Hyundai Ionic 5s are having some issues with phantom braking according to their forums. It sucks and shouldn't be a problem that any of us have to endure, but it's the evolution of technology. The goal is to save more lives than before the technology existed. It'll never be perfect.

I have had multiple issues with phantom braking since i purchased my 22m3lr 2 months ago. this past weekend my wife and i went out to visit our son in Wichita KS. I probably had 3 of 4 braking incidences on the way to Wichita. Unfortunately is was dark on the way home. On a 2 lane highway at 65mph i had 30 to 40 phantom braking issues. This would happen if i was using cruise control or auto steer. probably 1 out of 5 cars or trucks would slow the car down. It was manageable if i kept my foot on the gas and powered through it, but the warning tones went off at lease 20 times. I have taken to car Tesla for service and was told that this was something that i need to get use to with the vehicle. i was told that this will get better with time. Like i said it is manageable during the day but down right scary at night. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
thanks
I am getting an M3LR in September and will never autopilot it until I get wind of improvement. Amazingly my one camera based 2015 MS never does this xxxx.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I've just had AEB activate on the way to work this morning. Driving at approx 35 mph on a straight section of road, a pedestrian getting into his van at the side of the road activates AEB, the alarm sounds in the cabin and ABS comes on full (the road is dry the tyres warm). The car almost comes to a complete standstill in an instant whilst the van driver is looking at me like I've lost my mind or something. My neck is aching and I expect it will be stiff tomorrow morning. There was absolutely no need for any sudden braking, had there been traffc behind it would have been a heavy shunt with potential for whiplash injury. I'm shocked.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I am at my wits end and fed up with phantom braking. Drove from Moose Jaw to Saskatoon today, absolutely perfect conditions, sunny, no wind, fantastic visibility, and pretty low amount of traffic overall, and I got so many phantom brake situations within, hell 10 seconds one time, of turning on TACC (I don't even let it do FSD, which is a joke, I call it Fake Self Driving) I just straight up drove the car for the two hours up and back after getting fed up. It is scary, frustrating, and just pisses the ever living *sugar* out of me.

Constantly fooled by the mirage of the asphalt, hills, and objects it "just" sees out of it's view, Also doesn't matter, divided highway or two lane (it's both going up and back). I want to give the damn car a lobotomy and just let me set a dumb cruise control and JUST DRIVE.

Utterly useless and completely ruins the driving experience let alone anyone around thinking you're a goddamn idiot/potential for rear ending. I am dead serious this model 3 is the last Tesla vehicle I'll ever own if they can't fix this crap, like what's the point of having a nice drive in your car if it's jumping at ghosts every other minute.

I am at my wits end and fed up with phantom braking. Drove from Moose Jaw to Saskatoon today, absolutely perfect conditions, sunny, no wind, fantastic visibility, and pretty low amount of traffic overall, and I got so many phantom brake situations within, hell 10 seconds one time, of turning on TACC (I don't even let it do FSD, which is a joke, I call it Fake Self Driving) I just straight up drove the car for the two hours up and back after getting fed up. It is scary, frustrating, and just pisses the ever living *sugar* out of me.

Constantly fooled by the mirage of the asphalt, hills, and objects it "just" sees out of it's view, Also doesn't matter, divided highway or two lane (it's both going up and back). I want to give the damn car a lobotomy and just let me set a dumb cruise control and JUST DRIVE.

Utterly useless and completely ruins the driving experience let alone anyone around thinking you're a goddamn idiot/potential for rear ending. I am dead serious this model 3 is the last Tesla vehicle I'll ever own if they can't fix this crap, like what's the point of having a nice drive in your car if it's jumping at ghosts every other minute.
The good thing is that there are many new EV's on the road, and the used car market is hot for Tesla right now. You could sell the M3 and pick up an Ioniq 5, an EV6, or the VW id.4. You'd probably be much happier with one of those.

With my 2019 model 3 there were literally 3 local locations where phantom braking happened every time. Every single time over 3 years/40k miles.
I got my 2022 model 3 on August 1 and the phantom braking hasn't occurred once. Not once.
I don't know what to make of it but clearly it isn't a software issue.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
I don't think you can say that with certainty. Your 2019 had a radar. The software WAS different since it made use of the radar. You had the same firmware version as everyone but the code that got executed was different. Now that radar isn't used anymore on that 2019, it might behave just like your 2022 but you don't have it anymore so you can't compare.

what version of FSD are you on? I noticed a significant improvement when I updated to 69.2.2

I don't think you can say that with certainty. Your 2019 had a radar. The software WAS different since it made use of the radar. You had the same firmware version as everyone but the code that got executed was different. Now that radar isn't used anymore on that 2019, it might behave just like your 2022 but you don't have it anymore so you can't compare.
You could be correct.
I will say that 2 weeks before I got my new one the phantom braking happened exactly how it always had. That's the closest range of dates that I have.

I update to the latest software every time on my Model 3. Phantom braking has increased for me since the past 2 months.

Most often, there is another car slightly ahead of me in an adjacent lane. It could be going a bit slower than me, or the same speed, it does not seem to matter. EAP brakes for no reason. It even phantom brakes once after passing a bicyclist who was in his bike lane and not moving into my lane or anything.

I get one incident at least, every third or fourth time I use the EAP in a given period.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
I update to the latest software every time on my Model 3. Phantom braking has increased for me since the past 2 months.

Most often, there is another car slightly ahead of me in an adjacent lane. It could be going a bit slower than me, or the same speed, it does not seem to matter. EAP brakes for no reason. It even phantom brakes once after passing a bicyclist who was in his bike lane and not moving into my lane or anything.

I get one incident at least, every third or fourth time I use the EAP in a given period.
You use EAP on side streets or are there bicycles on your highway?

Reactions: gavine
I update to the latest software every time on my Model 3.
Yeah I did too, and for 108 software updates. But I got over that with the removal of radar and the new “features” of 24.6, 28.1, and 28.1. I hope to be able to stay on 2022.20.8, perhaps the most stable release I’ve had. For me, I look for an upgrade release that permits a “1” following distance and nixes the automatic wipers and high beams.

You use EAP on side streets or are there bicycles on your highway?
This was a divided highway but not freeway.

In general, I think slowing down in the fast lane / carpool lane when adjacent lanes have heavy traffic is okay, since it’s a bit safer. However, that same behavior repeats for unknown reasons even when there is just another car in the adjacent lane, some times. You cannot predict the braking behavior. Obviously it does not happen every time.

We recently made a 2,000 mile trip from E TN as far north as Ottawa in our 2022 Model 3 LR with whatever version of Autopilot was current a couple months ago. No FSD.

Only a single data point, but we thought the phantom braking was an order of magnitude better than when the car was delivered in February. It used to be unusable on 2 lane roads, now it handled them well. It overreacts to cars crossing some distance ahead, but unexplained phantom braking was virtually nonexistent on the trip - maybe a couple of times in the 2,000 miles.

I can’t explain the difference, but might suggest there’s something wrong with the cars involved in some of the horror stories in this thread.

Reactions: sleepydoc