Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom breaking getting worse on 2020.36.3.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 S 100D EAP 2020.36.3.1 MCU2 HW 2.5

My wife and I just came back from another SF-LA road trip and the phantom breaking was getting out of hand. I try to manage my expectations when using nav on AP for long road trips and anticipate phantom breaking when the car detects shadows or overpasses in broad daylight, but not at night with pristine road conditions, clear lane markings, driving 65-70 mph with vehicles at a far distance. The car just slams on the breaks while getting into the middle lane. The third time was earlier today driving back home. Similar situation but during the day. Around 70 mph, no overpasses or shadows, perfect lane markings and maybe a slight dip in the road. Can’t tell if the increase in hard breaking is due to some kind of bug in the software relating to the automatic lane change function or maybe how the car reacts to slight elevation changes. I don’t think it has anything to do with the new speed sign detection updates. I used to think AP/EAP was just a driver’s assistance tool with limitations. Now I feel like it’s more of a safety concern especially for the other vehicles on the road. Don’t get me wrong, AP/Nav on AP works flawless for about 80-90 percent of long distance trips (at least ones that I’ve taken) but that’s like saying hey everyone just letting you know there’s only a 10-20 percent change that my car will suddenly freak out and slam on the breaks in the middle of the highway while changing lanes, during speed limit changes or certain elevation changes. I think beta testing is absolutely an essential part of continually improving a product but promoting the purchase of EAP/FSD to increase profit margins is concerning.

My biggest concern with phantom breaking is that someone behind me is going to think I was break checking them and retaliate.

I've stopped using Autopilot in busy traffic when there are people following me too close.

I also wish they would let you set a speed 10mph over the limit so you can keep pace with the speed of traffic.

The speed limit imitation and phantom braking concerns have really limited my use of Autopilot on city streets :(

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits