Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Breaking Getting Worse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Throughout the AP trial, I never experienced phantom breaking in my P3D-. I thought everyone was crazy. I purchased basic AP for $2k back around March when Tesla did their 3 week flash "sale". I still never experienced phantom breaking... until about 2 updates ago. Now, it's awful. The car freaks out every time there's a large vehicle in the lane to my right, even though there's no car in front of me, in my lane, for hundreds of yards. It's a new phenomenon for me, and it's infuriating. Does anyone else feel like this issue has gotten worse over the past month or so?

Mine has been pretty bad lately too. I had 2 very aggressive phantom braking events today on my commute home, at which point I just gave up using AP. Agreed that it seems to happen most when it’s sunny and going under an overpass, though I’ve had it happen in many others circumstances as well.

But don’t worry, they’ll have this problem licked along with FSD by the end of the year! :rolleyes:

I just completed a 3300 mile road trip & had about a half dozen or so such events. Highly irritating to me & scares passengers. Also irritating is when passing a slower vehicle, the TACC sometimes thinks I’m still in the same lane as the vehicle I’m passing & slows unnecessarily to maintain separation.

Man, don't get me started on this. Just how can it get even worse? I've been cursed with this problem since I got my M3 in May. It has gotten to the point where my wife begs me not to turn on TACC when she's in the car, and now suggests we take her Lincoln whenever we go anywhere. Its TACC is smooth as silk. She does not like the Tesla for this reason plus the fact that lane changing in Autopilot can sometimes be quite unnerving (like a semi 2 lanes over and I try to change lanes... it goes half way then back, for 3 consecutive tries before I give up and take over). I recently drove a Model S for 250 miles while mine was in for service and had only ONE very minor unnecessary slowdown. It's hard to understand why this is so since the S had the same software version as mine.

Even when TACC is behaving it's still irritating. It's jerky when adjusting speed. Not always but often enough. Tesla needs to add some software filtering to smooth out those 2 mph speed changes. (Engineer-speak: Like cut back the P and the D and increase the I in the PID loop.)

While I'm at it... changing lanes: When I'm driving and change lanes you can't feel it except in rare case where I need to do so quickly. In the M3 I get slightly swayed back and forth when starting a lane change and again when finishing. Can't Tesla smooth this out so I don't feel like I'm in a boat???

I think I bought my Tesla a year or two too soon.

I meant to add this to my lane change complaint... In Autopilot, why oh why does the M3 sometimes initially SLOW DOWN by a few mph when I hit the turn signal to change lanes? No one in the lane I'm headed for but there is someone right behind me. Sometimes the slowdown triggers them to go around me just as I'm trying to go around the car ahead. And in these cases I try to avoid eye contact since I know I'm getting yelled at.

Same issue here

My car is a Oct 2018 build.

Never really had too many issues with Phantom Braking — but recently, it seems
to happen once every round trip

Almost got rear ended today

When Tesla sends out OTA updates, they need to put in releases notes that they updated AP so we have some idea of what’s going on and what version

Sadly, my wife won't ride with me in the Tesla if I insist on using TACC or NoA. Can't say as i blame her. Darn thing chooses the weirdest times to phantom brake. And yes, some smoothing of speed changes (except in emergencies) would be nice.

Throughout the AP trial, I never experienced phantom breaking in my P3D-. I thought everyone was crazy. I purchased basic AP for $2k back around March when Tesla did their 3 week flash "sale". I still never experienced phantom breaking... until about 2 updates ago. Now, it's awful. The car freaks out every time there's a large vehicle in the lane to my right, even though there's no car in front of me, in my lane, for hundreds of yards. It's a new phenomenon for me, and it's infuriating. Does anyone else feel like this issue has gotten worse over the past month or so?
Yes! Tesla says maybe I had a speck of dust on my windshield? This happened 3 different times on a recent road trip. Always when a passing on the left of a tractor trailer. Straight road, no one in front, thankfully no one close behind.
Terrifying aggressive braking. Sheesh.

Yes! Tesla says maybe I had a speck of dust on my windshield? This happened 3 different times on a recent road trip. Always when a passing on the left of a tractor trailer. Straight road, no one in front, thankfully no one close behind.
Terrifying aggressive braking. Sheesh.

I meant to add this to my lane change complaint... In Autopilot, why oh why does the M3 sometimes initially SLOW DOWN by a few mph when I hit the turn signal to change lanes? No one in the lane I'm headed for but there is someone right behind me. Sometimes the slowdown triggers them to go around me just as I'm trying to go around the car ahead. And in these cases I try to avoid eye contact since I know I'm getting yelled at.