Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom breaking in Autopilot (Model 3 2021)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove to Boston from the Cape tonight, in the dark. Cruise control but no AutoSteer. Every time a car came close behind me, it brakes checks them.

And when a car in front of me turns into the exit ramp and I am in the right lane (of 2), it slows down way too much thinking it’s in front of me instead of now in another lane.

is my experience typical? 2021 Model 3

I drove to Boston from the Cape tonight, in the dark. Cruise control but no AutoSteer. Every time a car came close behind me, it brakes checks them.

And when a car in front of me turns into the exit ramp and I am in the right lane (of 2), it slows down way too much thinking it’s in front of me instead of now in another lane.

is my experience typical? 2021 Model 3

Your second scenario is common. It takes a while for TACC/AP to "let go" of a car moving out of a lane. I usually just tap the accelerator to override. Haven't experienced the brake-checking.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I have 18,000 miles on my 2021 M3LR and never had brake checking. And this is the first I have heard it on here but anything is possible...

As novox77 said, just press the accelerator and go on. I simply drive with my foot resting on the pedal except when other vehicles are around then I know it won't phantom brake.