Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Breaking on recent road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This last weekend we drove from our home in Arroyo Grande CA to the Mammoth Lakes area. Enroute, we experienced a number of unneeded emergency braking events while on the highways at speed (65-72 mph). While this happened about a dozen time, 5-6 of them were significant slow downs and could have caused us to be rear ended. In none of these events was there any reason for the emergency braking. One happened when another car was approaching from the rear quickly to pass. We did have the "emergency braking" feature turned off (and turned it off again after charging as it reset that feature to "on" by default.

These events led us to stop using the cruise control entirely for the last 2 hours of our trip home. Prior to this, the adaptive cruise control had functioned normally with very few unexpected emergency braking events in the last year or so.

I have contacted Tesla about this and scheduled a service call. I've also submitted a report to NHTSA about this.

We did disable the feature of “automatic emergency breaking” but that had no effect at all. This is a serious issue that need to be addressed immediately.

Odd. I just drove 400 miles using autopilot + auto steer and had 0 issues. There were shadows on freeway, overpasses, large trucks we drove next to. Route was Burbank,ca to tule elk reserve in button willow, ca. I did not disable any safety features.
I got my MYP in 12/2021 & had 0 autopilot issues. I’m just very lucky. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: eleison
Tesla just called me and wondered if the windshield had a lot of bug splatter that can affect the camera above the rear view mirror as that can affect the emergency breaking function. I told the tech that we clean the windshield with "Invisible Glass" every time we stop when on road trips.

He did report that Tesla is working on this and asked us drivers to use the "report bug" feature on the voice activation button to note what happened and where. He said this event will then get logged into the system for problem solving. I was not aware that this was an option.

Tesla just called me and wondered if the windshield had a lot of bug splatter that can affect the camera above the rear view mirror as that can affect the emergency breaking function. I told the tech that we clean the windshield with "Invisible Glass" every time we stop when on road trips.

He did report that Tesla is working on this and asked us drivers to use the "report bug" feature on the voice activation button to note what happened and where. He said this event will then get logged into the system for problem solving. I was not aware that this was an option.
LOL come on Tesla. Bug splatter? I drive all over the western US and Canada with my Subie and my Eyesight has never phantom braked me. If the windshield is so obscured by rain or something else, the system sends a warning to my dashboard display, sounds an audible alert, and then disconnects adaptive cruise.

The bug report feature only logs it so that when you bring your car into service, the tech can pull those logs. Phantom braking is a well known issue and other manufacturers suffer to varying degrees from it as well. In any case, Tesla is well aware of it.

Reactions: Killer Junior
May want to join the class action lawsuit against Tesla re:phantom braking. I believe it was recently started by a gentleman from Northern CA. Easy to google the details.

I have both a 2021 MY LR and 2022 M3 LR and will not use Cruise Control or Autopilot for fear of being rear ended by a semi or other vehicle and risking my life and that of my passengers.

Tesla continues to gaslight owners with supposed causes and remedies and that is unfortunate. Tesla’s lack of transparency on this issue is pathetic and misleading.

Reactions: jsight
Next time it happens, look at the screen and see if it adjusted max speed.

That's what happens to me I'll go under an overpass on I-66 and the car will start slowing down. I eventually realized the car thought the speed limit dropped so that's why it slowed down. Annoying, but less annoying once you know why it's doing it.

May want to join the class action lawsuit against Tesla re:phantom braking. I believe it was recently started by a gentleman from Northern CA. Easy to google the details.

I have both a 2021 MY LR and 2022 M3 LR and will not use Cruise Control or Autopilot for fear of being rear ended by a semi or other vehicle and risking my life and that of my passengers.

Tesla continues to gaslight owners with supposed causes and remedies and that is unfortunate. Tesla’s lack of transparency on this issue is pathetic and misleading.
Yet, NIHTSA has been looking in to phantom braking since February 2022. Seems there is some transparency. Recently NIHTSA was given a FSD Beta car to test out. Gonna be interesting.

I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents too. On 2022.28.1 software. We went on a 1100 mile trip last week - had about a dozen instances where the car slowed down drastically. The worst one was when we were on the interstate passing a long tanker semi - it when from about 80 mph down to about 50 mph within a 2 second period - it even tightened up the seat belts. Most of the phantom braking took place on the two lane road (Wells, NV to Twin Falls, ID, ) when the car would see a semi coming over a hill that was about a 1/4 mile ahead of us. Other times it happened when on concrete bridges that had a concrete barrier on both sides (good thing the bridges weren't icy.) In the 18 months that we've had the Y - We've had very little panic braking! I'm sure this whole thing started with the latest update that the car took. I wondering if the removal of radar made the difference?

I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents too. On 2022.28.1 software. We went on a 1100 mile trip last week - had about a dozen instances where the car slowed down drastically. The worst one was when we were on the interstate passing a long tanker semi - it when from about 80 mph down to about 50 mph within a 2 second period - it even tightened up the seat belts. Most of the phantom braking took place on the two lane road (Wells, NV to Twin Falls, ID, ) when the car would see a semi coming over a hill that was about a 1/4 mile ahead of us. Other times it happened when on concrete bridges that had a concrete barrier on both sides (good thing the bridges weren't icy.) In the 18 months that we've had the Y - We've had very little panic braking! I'm sure this whole thing started with the latest update that the car took. I wondering if the removal of radar made the difference?
Not sure but our MY has both the ladar/radar as well as the cameras.

What's a ladar? And which MY had that?
Lidar, which stands for Light Detection and Ranging, is a remote sensing method that uses light in the form of a pulsed laser to measure ranges (variable distances) to the Earth. These light pulses—combined with other data recorded by the airborne system — generate precise, three-dimensional information about the shape of the Earth and its surface characteristics.

This last weekend we drove from our home in Arroyo Grande CA to the Mammoth Lakes area. Enroute, we experienced a number of unneeded emergency braking events while on the highways at speed (65-72 mph). While this happened about a dozen time, 5-6 of them were significant slow downs and could have caused us to be rear ended. In none of these events was there any reason for the emergency braking. One happened when another car was approaching from the rear quickly to pass. We did have the "emergency braking" feature turned off (and turned it off again after charging as it reset that feature to "on" by default.

These events led us to stop using the cruise control entirely for the last 2 hours of our trip home. Prior to this, the adaptive cruise control had functioned normally with very few unexpected emergency braking events in the last year or so.

I have contacted Tesla about this and scheduled a service call. I've also submitted a report to NHTSA about this.

We did disable the feature of “automatic emergency breaking” but that had no effect at all. This is a serious issue that need to be addressed immediately.
I just drove from Wisconsin to CA using TACC (no Auto Steer) and have had so many phantom braking issues that I've lost count. I had a log of 6 over the course of 2 hours on HWY I-40 and earlier just as many HWY I-80. Most of them were due to mirages on the highway when no vehicles were in front of me. Some of them I cannot attribute to anything since the road is completely clear. It's unnerving when there is traffic closely following. I've been keeping my foot ready to depress the accelerator and sometimes it helps to keep the braking under control. Service Center receptionist said to keep a log and then call for an appointment. I have a 2021 Model Y running SW 2022.24.8.

We just returned from a 2K road trip in our new MYP and for the most part, the PB we experienced was present but not very aggressive or dangerous, except for one event. We were on I-64 heading west from Louisville on a slightly overcast day with two cars far enough in front of us to appear and disappear from the screen. No other vehicles around us, we were traveling at 78 mph when without warning the car braked aggressively down to about 45 mph before I could override it with the accelerator. There were no overpasses, signs, or shadows to confuse the cameras. My wife was dozing and woke to this, she was not a happy camper.

Had there been a car behind us I'm sure he would have hit us. Tesla needs to address this ASAP before the NHTSA gets involved or causes a bad accident.