Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Breaking on recent road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Honda minivan.
Experienced phantom braking from day 1. The annoying part is, I have to remember to shutoff the auto-braking EVERY time I turn on the car. An investigation has been opened on Honda, but doesn’t include the minivan.

Many other people I talk to disable their cars’ (different brands) auto braking feature (some are stay off forever until turned back on). I think owners of other brands just don’t expect as much from these features so turn it off and not complain as much.

Not even. Owners of radar cars like mine have complained about phantom braking since the first models rolled out of Fremont. Not all were affected but several threads demonstrate PB is not a one-off problem for some owners and I am one of them. PB has gotten better and worse from software update to software update over time. It has not gone away, witness this thread. While never actually addressing the issue Tesla did say IIRC that its vision suite would eliminate phantom braking for those who experienced it. Well no, that didn’t happen either. Radar is apparently not a factor or at least not the overriding one in the PB equation. Maybe the HW4 suite will be a solution?
wow. I've never had a phantom breaking issue (maybe a half a one once, but that was all.. more like a huh? moment) and I'm 20 months into my MYLR experience. but I stopped taking firmware at 2022.20.8. not going to Vision.

wow. I've never had a phantom breaking issue (maybe a half a one once, but that was all.. more like a huh? moment) and I'm 20 months into my MYLR experience. but I stopped taking firmware at 2022.20.8. not going to Vision.
I would consider you among the majority of owners, and very fortunate to be in that group. Sadly, I’m not. However, I have also stopped updating my software at v2022.20.8 after receiving now 10 updates since. I don’t know how long Tesla will permit me to continue not installing updates and at some point I’ll lose my radar, and possibly my USS as well, in favor of MuskieVision.

Reactions: patsfan02360
I would consider you among the majority of owners, and very fortunate to be in that group. Sadly, I’m not. However, I have also stopped updating my software at v2022.20.8 after receiving now 10 updates since. I don’t know how long Tesla will permit me to continue not installing updates and at some point I’ll lose my radar, and possibly my USS as well, in favor of MuskieVision.
Be a shame if you missed the update that fixes PB. :cool:

Be a shame if you missed the update that fixes PB. :cool:
You’re right, it would. But if PB were actually fixed that would be an admission that it existed at all, so I’m guessing I won’t see something in the release notes that states that. Well, that and the 108 updates I’ve already received with no fix in sight (pun intended).

Reactions: zoomer0056