Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking so bad I want to return my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh wait so much talk about how wide spread it is and happening so often and you couldn’t make a video of that happening for Tesla to investigate further? Amazing! But you had time to make a petition. Kind of backward thinking not?

You have a video rig for car blogs? Why haven't you posted your video's here? Most people don't have a video rig set up for use in their car... makes it a bit hard to get video prof that the problems exists. Too bad video's showing the problem haven't been posted in this thread for you to look at... oh wait, they have! But in true fanboy fashion, after the demand for video prof comes the denial that the video shows what the video shows.

Keith

Thanks for the report.

Even though you don't drive on two lane highways much, my co-worker with a radar equipped model 3 SR+ says that on two lane highways the PB was bad when he first started with FSD Beta (he didn't have any significant PB before he got FSD Beta) but that it has improved some with the last update he had... not sure what software he is on now.

I have hope that VO won't be a disaster forever, but the way it was rolled out was not good at all. I started out with really good TACC and AP when I first got my MYP with the only real annoyances being that I was limited to 70 mph on AP and the follow distance being limited to setting 3. Since then TACC performance has degraded horribly with the only real improvements being raising the AP speed limit to 80 and allowing a follow distance of 2.

Right now, as it stands TACC is un-usable on strait dry two lane highways... if it ever gets back to where it was when I purchased the car I will be happy... what some people here (not talking about you) can't understand is my inability to recommend the currently available VO Model 3 or Model Y in the hopes that they will fix the problems in the next year or so. After they get the problems fixed I will be happy to recommend the VO cars to anyone asking for purchasing advice.

Keith
I’m going to try to find some places to try TACC with VO on two lane roads and see how it behaves, and then compare that to FSD beta. Will report back any interesting results here.

Reactions: Fourdoor
You are fing kidding me right? Which one of those cameras shows the speedometer of the car?

I HAVE the exact video you want me to post, the moment I post it you will say "prove you didn't hit the brakes" wont you?

Keith
If you have date and time of that event Tesla can pull your car telemetry plus analyze your video if you saved one manually of course.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rjpjnk
Ah, I am in FSD Beta. Besides the micro braking I also noticed the car no longer sees cars in front of the lead car. With radar it would show a car it can't "see". Now it only shows the lead car.
Yeah, that’s the only bummer for me about VO cars vs Radar cars that radar cars can react to two cars ahead and slow down way before leading car hits the brakes. Some people might call phantom braking ;)

Purchase MY in September and have frequent false EBS breaking me from 60 to 30 for no reason, with or without cruise on. Twice on same straight two lane road with clear weather and no danger. Both times when a large truck was coming in the other direction. Yesterday I had even turned off EBS, but it still came on when it shouldn’t have. Two lane roads with curves are a major problem even when I don't use cruise. I don’t know what the fix is, but I sure wish Tesla would fix this soon. It is an obvious major Issue and should have been fixed by now. Stop hiding behind "beta" - you have been selling these cars long enough to be well past this shield.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
Purchase MY in September and have frequent false EBS breaking me from 60 to 30 for no reason, with or without cruise on. Twice on same straight two lane road with clear weather and no danger. Both times when a large truck was coming in the other direction. Yesterday I had even turned off EBS, but it still came on when it shouldn’t have. Two lane roads with curves are a major problem even when I don't use cruise. I don’t know what the fix is, but I sure wish Tesla would fix this soon. It is an obvious major Issue and should have been fixed by now. Stop hiding behind "beta" - you have been selling these cars long enough to be well past this shield.
That is not possible what you say if you don’t use AP and turned off AEB.

Last edited:
The easiest fix is just to allow radarless customers to get radars put back into their cars.
Nope, radar is not the fix. There was a post in another forum that surmised going vision only was the cure for PB as it was the radar that caused it. That isn’t true either, obviously. My 06/2018 build M3 has radar and has phantom braked since birth. Some software updates improve the rate of PB, others seem to aggravate it. The temporary fix is to give us dumb cruise control until the TA stuff works better.

Reactions: shoemakj
The Subaru EyeSight (VO since inception) system doesn't have "basic" CC (or PB). If EyeSight shuts down CC is disabled. I have no experience with their new system which does lane centering.
That's not true on my 2017 Outback with Eyesight -- you can switch to "conventional cruise control" if the Eyesight system isn't working.