Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom charge port door opening?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is strange. I've been charging my MS at my g/f's house using NEMA 14-50 for a year now. I'd back into her garage, park, and charge.

This week, I moved my UMC to my house where I'm charging at 24 amps (using up solar net+ kWh)... but now two, possibly three times now, when I go back to my g/f's house for the night, I back into her garage, park, and go in the house.

When I come out the next morning, the charge port door is opened.

I know (1) I didn't pop it open from the touchscreen, (2) I didn't pop it open from the iPhone app, (3) I didn't pop it open because the UMC isn't even in the house. It's sort of like Audrey from Little Shop of Horrors -- it senses that it's "home" and it's saying "FEED ME!!!"

This is a PIA because I get in to drive, and I get the warning, so I have to jump out and close it each morning.

It's like it's possessed. Has anyone seen this before?

The round magnet that holds it closed has adhesive that holds the magnet to the door. That adhesive has failed on a number of cars (including mine). Sometime when it comes off and stays on the frame (instead of the door) you might not notice and when you close it, it will stick back but eventually come lose again. You might want to check for that.

does open anywhere else other than gf's garage?

you are driving a "super" car; anything short of perfection is a good reason to visit service center imo.

if you need another reason, the symptom could be a tip of the iceberg; you know like a light chest pain could be a heart attack early symptom or could be nothing serious at all.

my charge port opens almost every time after I close it in the morning. I unplug, I close it, it pops back open after a few seconds. It usually stays put after the second time I close it, though. I mentioned it to the service center but i think they were never able to reproduce it. I wish I had the new charge port that automatically closes after a while.

I've had this problem if I don't hold it for just a second when closing. I can hear the thunk of the magnet grabbing or something like that. Sometimes, after removing the plug, the thunk happens quickly and I don't need to hold it. Sometimes not.

my charge port opens almost every time after I close it in the morning. I unplug, I close it, it pops back open after a few seconds. It usually stays put after the second time I close it, though. I mentioned it to the service center but i think they were never able to reproduce it. I wish I had the new charge port that automatically closes after a while.

I occasionally get transient warnings just as I'm getting out of the car. I finally discovered that my technique for getting out sometimes compresses the fob against my keys in my pocket enough to depress one of the buttons, usually the "lock" function. Do you have any places in the house where the fob could get pressed against something solid? A chair with poorly-positioned handle? Leave your pants on the floor and step on it? Dog likes to play with it when you're not looking?

Experiment with putting your keys in a place other than your pocket for the evening (after determining the door is still closed) and see if the problem goes away.

Welp... I disabled remote access and the tail gate has now opened twice on its own overnight (or at least parked in the garage).

(The last time I backed in and parked too close to the back wall, and the tailgate hit the wall and stopped there. Now I have a nice little paint chip on the lip of the tailgate. :( )

I'm worried about this happening if I'm parked somewhere else?

I guess it's time to call the SC.

Last night, I backed into a spot near an HPWC in the mall near here (there's a Tesla Showroom in this mall, and they park the test drive cars there). When I went to plug in the charger, the port was already open. I didn't hit the button on the charger, I didn't hit my keyfob button, nor did I do it from the control panel.

I've chosen to believe the car detected I was in a Tesla charging area and opened up anticipatorily. I'll have to keep an eye on things and see how it goes.

Last night, I backed into a spot near an HPWC in the mall near here (there's a Tesla Showroom in this mall, and they park the test drive cars there). When I went to plug in the charger, the port was already open. I didn't hit the button on the charger, I didn't hit my keyfob button, nor did I do it from the control panel.

I've chosen to believe the car detected I was in a Tesla charging area and opened up anticipatorily. I'll have to keep an eye on things and see how it goes.

...want to bet that someone nearby (another S charging) hit the button on another HPWC and this triggered your charge port door to open?

I've had this problem if I don't hold it for just a second when closing. I can hear the thunk of the magnet grabbing or something like that. Sometimes, after removing the plug, the thunk happens quickly and I don't need to hold it. Sometimes not.

Exactly the same experience with my car as well. Rarely happens (maybe 1-2x a month), but once in awhile I close it too quickly then sit down in the driver's seat only to see it has popped open.