Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom.... Charging!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My home charger will kick on every 30-45 mins through the night for about a minute and then turn off. This is after battery has charged to designated percentage.

First I thought it was sentry mode but I have that disabled at home. Is it possible there’s a constant geofence check in happening to cause it?

Then I thought it was maybe the Stats app. It does so much data collection it seemed possible it was just pinging too often. But they pointed out basic pinging doesn’t initiate wall power draw from the Tesla app which I tested to be true.

Lastly I don’t have a Tesla charger, but a Clipper Creek with adapter from previous EV ownership. Is there something smarter about a Tesla charger ignoring a little bit of phantom draw and not trying to constantly top it off? Is that even a thing or does the car have to make that happen?

One, that relay flipping 20 times a night instead of once can’t be healthy
Two, it’s loud and annoying.

Any thoughts?

Do you have Scheduled Departure enabled by chance? If so, I'd suggest switching to start charging at a specific time instead.

I must say I don't know anything about Clipper Creek chargers so my idea may be way off target.

I thought about that too and have turned that all off.

I guess I don’t really understand how chargers communicate with cars but seems weird it would need to flip the load relay to on just to check in.

My worry is that it’s actually giving the car little 1 minute charges through the night which I’m guessing isn’t healthy