Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a strange one. The other afternoon, I charged mine to my normal setting of 250 miles. It was 70 degrees in the garage and charging was complete at 250 miles on the screen. The next morning, the temp in the garage was at about 50 degrees when I jumped in the car to go somewhere. I looked at the screen and I now had 252 miles. I would think the battery would LOSE some miles as the temp got lower, but somehow I GAINED an extra 2 miles. Any thoughts on this? I didn't leave the charger plugged into the car overnight. I wish I knew how to do this every night.

Here is a strange one. The other afternoon, I charged mine to my normal setting of 250 miles. It was 70 degrees in the garage and charging was complete at 250 miles on the screen. The next morning, the temp in the garage was at about 50 degrees when I jumped in the car to go somewhere. I looked at the screen and I now had 252 miles. I would think the battery would LOSE some miles as the temp got lower, but somehow I GAINED an extra 2 miles. Any thoughts on this? I didn't leave the charger plugged into the car overnight. I wish I knew how to do this every night.
Exactly as others posted above. The BMS accounts for the ambient temperature when calculating the battery level.

Now, if the range jumped up over a long period of time with the ambient temperature remaining at 70 the whole time then that would be some twilight zone stuff!