Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom dancing trucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since moving to France from the UK I have rarely suffered from phantom-braking events, thanks I think to the spacious much emptier autoroutes. However I have recently experienced disturbing events when pulling back in from the fast lane to the middle lane while a truck is in the slow lane. What happens is that Autopilot suddenly aborts the manoeuvre with a jolt. This seems to he because the car believes the truck to actually be in the middle lane, as confirmed by the visualisation display, in which the truck can be seen dancing from the slow lane into the middle lane and back again.

This only appears to have begun quite recently. Do people think this is something a service visit might address, perhaps by checking or calibrating the front wing or door pillar cameras? Or is it just another example of the Autopilot skittishness we all know and love?

This issue has been in UK Model 3’s for as long as we have owned our Model 3 (>2 years). I soon learned not to rejoin left lane from whilst there was a large vehicle in the lane to the left we were about to join. If anything it may have recently improved slightly as the weaving of trucks on adjacent lane appears to have reduced and I did recently pull the above manoeuvre and was surprised that it handled it just fine.

So nothing to be fixed on the car.