Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Drain and Cabin over heat Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my new Tesla MYP last week. I took it on a short trip about 360 miles round trip. When I got home I went to a supercharger and charged to 75%. 24 hours later I checked the app and notice it went down to 25% while parked the whole time!! I have Sentry mode off but I did have Cabin Overheat Protection on with AC on. I am in the bay area and it gets hot where I live (fairfield ca) but it is parked under a car port.

I find it odd that I lost 50% in 24 hours because of Cabin Over heat protection. Does anyone have any clue what might have happened?

I just received my new Tesla MYP last week. I took it on a short trip about 360 miles round trip. When I got home I went to a supercharger and charged to 75%. 24 hours later I checked the app and notice it went down to 25% while parked the whole time!! I have Sentry mode off but I did have Cabin Overheat Protection on with AC on. I am in the bay area and it gets hot where I live (fairfield ca) but it is parked under a car port.

I find it odd that I lost 50% in 24 hours because of Cabin Over heat protection. Does anyone have any clue what might have happened?
Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) only remains active for 12 hours after you park. Even with COP with AC set to be on, when parked for a full 10 hours in daytime temperatures I have only observed ~7kWh (up to ~10%) of battery used. Sentry Mode would only use 6 to 7 % over 24 hours.

Something else is to blame. Try rebooting the Tesla vehicle by pressing and holding the left and right scroll wheels on the steering wheel for at least 5 seconds. The Tesla Model Y infotainment system computer will reboot.

You can check the status of the Tesla vehicle from the Tesla app. This will wake up the vehicle so don't open the app frequently, unless needed. If the HVAC system is on the fan icon on the main app screen will be illuminated. You can tap the fan icon to turn off the climate control.

Settings that will cause the HVAC system to remain on after you exit are displayed on the right side of the Climate Control screen inside the vehicle: Set HVAC to ... Remain On, Dog Mode or Camp Mode.

It could be that you have set Scheduled Departure Preconditioning. This would turn on the climate control prior to your normal departure time. It should turn off after ~1 hour or 90 minutes after your scheduled departure time.

Lastly, have you set up any third party apps to monitor and control the Tesla Model Y?

Even the AC was running the whole time it won't use 50%.
It must be something else.
I live in Texas and we are over 100F every day. I have overhead protection on, it only kicks in when I park under the sun, and never drained noticeable amount of energy.

Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) only remains active for 12 hours after you park. Even with COP with AC set to be on, when parked for a full 10 hours in daytime temperatures I have only observed ~7kWh (up to ~10%) of battery used. Sentry Mode would only use 6 to 7 % over 24 hours.

Something else is to blame. Try rebooting the Tesla vehicle by pressing and holding the left and right scroll wheels on the steering wheel for at least 5 seconds. The Tesla Model Y infotainment system computer will reboot.

You can check the status of the Tesla vehicle from the Tesla app. This will wake up the vehicle so don't open the app frequently, unless needed. If the HVAC system is on the fan icon on the main app screen will be illuminated. You can tap the fan icon to turn off the climate control.

Settings that will cause the HVAC system to remain on after you exit are displayed on the right side of the Climate Control screen inside the vehicle: Set HVAC to ... Remain On, Dog Mode or Camp Mode.

It could be that you have set Scheduled Departure Preconditioning. This would turn on the climate control prior to your normal departure time. It should turn off after ~1 hour or 90 minutes after your scheduled departure time.

Lastly, have you set up any third party apps to monitor and control the Tesla Model Y?
I dont have any 3rd party apps set up. And i just looked at the app and the fan icon is not illuminated. This is so weird. But i turned off COP and i checked the app and only 1% of my battery was lost. I scheduled a service appointment on the app and messaged them to do a remote check of my car.

I live in Texas and we are over 100F every day. I have overhead protection on, it only kicks in when I park under the sun, and never drained noticeable amount of energy.
I set up a service appointment so hopefully they can remotely see whats going on.

Yes, the A/C uses way less energy than you might think. I often set the Keep Climate On when I'm buying groceries or other errands. The most I've ever lost is about 1%.

I'm talking setting the car to 70 degrees when it's over 90 and the sun is blazing. Feels great when you get in. 😉

A rep from tesla called me a couple days later and ran a diagnostics check. He noticed that the hvac kept running and that what was causing my issue. He recommended i set the fan to auto. It worked up until yesterday.

I took my car to Reno, NV over the weekend. About 150 miles away. I came back home yesterday and supercharged to about 88 percent. This morning I woke up and same thing happened again. It drained to 62 percent. I got home from work around 1030 pm and my batter was at 19%. Again sentry mode is off, COP off And no 3rd party apps whatsoever. I am really concerned on whats going on. Can anyone help me out?

If you have any third party energy monitoring, logging or reporting apps installed log out of the app and also change the password on your Tesla account.

It could also be caused by a bad temperature sensor; either a bad outside air temperature sensor or something in the circuit that measures the battery temperature (I believe there are multiple temperature sensors within the battery so one bad sensor won't brick the vehicle.)

If you have any third party energy monitoring, logging or reporting apps installed log out of the app and also change the password on your Tesla account.

It could also be caused by a bad temperature sensor; either a bad outside air temperature sensor or something in the circuit that measures the battery temperature (I believe there are multiple temperature sensors within the battery so one bad sensor won't brick the vehicle.)
I did notice the other night the temperature showed 147 degrees. I did find that odd

I did notice the other night the temperature showed 147 degrees. I did find that odd
The outside air temperature (OAT) sensor is located inside the right front fender well. The wire harness for the OAT is susceptible to being chewed by rodents. Check for signs of rodents around the vehicle. If you park in a garage be sure to remove any food or pet food from the garage.

A rep from tesla called me a couple days later and ran a diagnostics check. He noticed that the hvac kept running and that what was causing my issue. He recommended i set the fan to auto. It worked up until yesterday.

I took my car to Reno, NV over the weekend. About 150 miles away. I came back home yesterday and supercharged to about 88 percent. This morning I woke up and same thing happened again. It drained to 62 percent. I got home from work around 1030 pm and my batter was at 19%. Again sentry mode is off, COP off And no 3rd party apps whatsoever. I am really concerned on whats going on. Can anyone help me out?

I suspect that you have a bad driver's seat occupancy sensor. The car thinks you're still inside and is keeping the climate control on.

When you get out of the car and close the door, does the screen turn off or stay on? If it stays on, the car is still on. Open and close the door again - does the screen go off?

Reactions: ucmndd