Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Drain normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read phantom drain is about 1-2% per day. I have had my car in for service and then drove 2 miles to drop it off for tint and PPF. For the last 5 days it has gone through 35% battery. I have sentry off and as far as I know the climate control is off. I do have cabin overheat protection but hasn't really been hot at all.
Have anyone else experienced this?

A real "new owner" issue is checking the car with the app often, which keeps the car awake. I think I did that about a million times a day when I first got the car.

When you check on the car via the app, can you see if the doors are left open overnight?

You should confirm the climate control is off. The PPF people might be turning it on while they work.

I would turn the cabin overheat off, sounds like you don't need it now. You can always turn it back on when you determine what's going on.

If you have FSD, check to see if you have the summons function in "standby". If so, disable the standby.

I went through the same phantom anxiety. I got a hold of TeslaFi (free for 2 weeks) and was able to see what was going on with the car over the course of each day. I wound up determining that my phantom drain was about 1-2% per day. Parked in unheated/unenclosed carport, temps between 30 and 60.

I would wait until the car gets back to you before getting concerned. Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
No. Also, 5 days for tint and PPF?

What exactly are they doing and how much are the guys joy-riding?

I've read phantom drain is about 1-2% per day. I have had my car in for service and then drove 2 miles to drop it off for tint and PPF. For the last 5 days it has gone through 35% battery. I have sentry off and as far as I know the climate control is off. I do have cabin overheat protection but hasn't really been hot at all.
Have anyone else experienced this?

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
No. Also, 5 days for tint and PPF?

What exactly are they doing and how much are the guys joy-riding?

Ha, well I dropped it off Friday and they don't work on the weekends. So they started working on it on Monday. That being said it's not supposed to be done until tomorrow so 4 days. Getting Tint, Full front PPF, whole car ceramic coating. Also a good chance they are working on multiple cars at once.

ICE cars don't leak 1-2% of their gas every day, and most of them also have sophisticated electronics and apps where you can check-in on the car remotely.

But our cars also use less physical braking by adding fuel during this process and don't absorb water into its fuel tank either. With that being said, my VW eGolf does not have any noticeable parasitic drain while being connected and accessible from its phone app. I hope that the Model Y improves as it is a big waste that hardy anyone factors in until after they purchased the vehicle