Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Drain on 2019.40.50.7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else having phantom drain issues on the latest update? My LR AWD dropped 5% of its charge overnight, and seems to have been using a lot of juice generally over the last week or so. Sentry is off, so it can’t be that.

Is anyone else having phantom drain issues on the latest update? My LR AWD dropped 5% of its charge overnight, and seems to have been using a lot of juice generally over the last week or so. Sentry is off, so it can’t be that.
What is the current temperature where your car rests at night or when parked? How often do you check the Tesla App (and then wake up the car from sleep)? My car is on the same version and at an average of 3C my car sleeps for 8-10 hours at a time. It then wakes up to manage battery temperature, charge 12v battery, etc for about 2 hours before falling asleep again.

Depending on temperature the car will still expend energy to keep the HV battery temps at a healthy range for the cells. Also, anytime you open the Tesla App you wake the car from sleep and it can take a few hours to fall asleep again.

I lose about 0.75% a day if I let the car sit and only check on it with TeslaFi (which does not wake from sleep)

• Disagree
  • Helpful
Reactions: mswlogo and Roy W.
There is a standby mode on the summon setting - might be that. Or some have reported a nav update.

We are not seeing anything abnormal though. TeslaFi reported 0.54 miles (120Wh) loss over 7-1/2 hours last night whilst sleeping. So unlikely to be anything that cannot be easily sorted.

Currently sleeping like a baby for 8+ hours:

048CFAD6-5F52-483A-862E-0F8C6398C40A.jpeg

If you use TeslaFi and have an iPhone (not sure how to do this on Android) it’s useful to set up an application/web shortcut on the home screen. To do this, navigate to TeslaFi on Safari, then click the share button in the middle bottom of Safari and choose the option “Add to Home Screen”. Then you can check your car easily on your phone just like an app. Hope it helps.

I'm averaging about .4 mi/hr range loss phantom drain. Like has already been said, very important to not wake your car up every hour, this seems to drain the battery much quicker
yes it will. The car uses 200-300Wh when awake and takes 15-20 minutes to fall asleep so if it does not sleep for any reason including you constantly checking the app it will use a lot of juice. Using Teslafi might extend this period a little as well.
The app is a bit "Schrodinger's cat". You can't check the state of the car without changing it. It is possible to check the sleep state of the car without waking it using the api's if necessary

Here’s an update on my car after waking up from sleep. Lost 2.75 km or 0.39 kW after 9 hours and 45 min. The same loss was seen for ~2 hours of parking with the car awake. Sleeping really helps preserve energy. Temps currently about 6C in my garage.

25235CE4-7B2C-4387-9F88-04C8326EF693.jpeg

Mine seemed to stay awake for around 6 hours, presumably whilst downloading this update (no idea why it took that long), then spent 16 minutes actually installing the update, followed by an hour when it remained awake, before going to sleep again.It seems to do it's usual wake up for 36 minutes thing in the middle of the night, but apart from that has stayed asleep.

Reactions: Roy W.
Thanks all. I park outside so whatever the ambient temp is, is what the car experiences. I don’t regularly wake it up. Pretty much once it’s parked it stays asleep until I turn the heating on 10 mins before I leave the house. Will keep an eye on the issue and see if it repeats.

I have the same FW-Version and experience a abormal batterydrain as well. the car lost over 20 miles in the last 2 days. I made a soft-restart yesterday, because when ever i was in spotify on the computer, the tesla appeared as a device to stream to. Still lost almost 10 miles over night. There has to be something wrong with this release. I switched from spotify to radio in the car yesterday after reboot. Now it doesn't appear on the devicelist in spotify, but still uses to much power. Temperatures are a tiny bit higher than the last few weeks, so that can't be the issue.

That's a huge YES from me. I noticed heavy drain over 2 days and last night ran a check. From 10 hours overnight I ran a test to see what was happening and I lost 10 miles of range in that time: 1 mile lost per hour.

Very odd. And it is specifically from this update that its been happening, so fingers crossed whatever is causing it is ironed out in the next update or two.

I am seeing the exact same issue on my 2019 SR+. Prior to this update I was seeing an average of 260wh/mi and after update I am up to 440wh/mi, which is a pretty large swing. My ambient is 25c and I literally drive it for two hours a day and it sleeps the rest of the time (I never check on the App, no spotify, etc). I just scheduled service for next week to see if they can diagnose anything specific, but I agree with others that there must be something odd with the update to suddenly change the energy use.

Are you on wifi? if so, is it, or mobile a marginal signal. What about phone/key fob? close to car but not close enough to be a solid connection?

Also, have you checked if any updates downloading? Some people had a map update. But possibly not that as its intermittent.

Have you tried teslafi etc to see what state car is in?

I have exactly the same issue with my 2019 SR+. Losing 30 km per day while it was 5 before this update. Teslafi confirms it completely stopped sleeping. The car is parked outside, but has been outside at lower temperatures before where it slept like a baby. I made sure wifi is off (as it has always been) and that all USB cables are disconnected.

I should add my navigation update is pending, as I cannot connect to my mobile phone hotspot (mobile data limit for this month almost hit) and the wifi reception is quite bad whenever I try to connect to one. Not sure whether that might cause the problem. Never was a problems before, maybe the software got more picky on that?

I did initially have the same experience but a Reboot sorted it and I think it's now better than ever typically 2-3 Miles a Night.