Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom drain & sleep - Solved in 2020.12.11.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that a huge phantom drain and sleep problem was solved for me when I updated my 2020 MX to 2020.12.11.1 (from 2020.12.6).

Previous to the update I was losing on average 3.3 kWh and 12.6 miles per 24 hours. That loss was totally phantom drain and it would not sleep. Since the update there is effectively no loss and it sleeps like a baby. In a 12 hour and 19 minute test starting at midnight last night the loss was .01 kWh and .03 miles which is almost nothing per 24 hours.

In previous tests I had taken all of the suggestions I had found including:
  • Sentry off
  • Summon standby off
  • Cabin overheat protection off
  • Screen reset
  • Power off
  • TeslaFi settings for sleep
  • Key far away
  • Dismiss & don't use the Tesla app
  • Etc.
None of those made any difference. It was only the update to 2020.11.1 that seems to have solved the problem. Is anyone else seeing a similar result?

• Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus
You didn’t mention that you attempted a reboot. I have had the problem a few times on various versions, with excessive drain, and a reboot fixed it. Some folks religiously reboot after every upgrade. I am not firmly in that camp, but I do keep, performing a full reboot in my trick bag for clearing up weird problems.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
I had the same issue with phantom drain and it seems to have been resolved, as well. I would sometimes lose 6-8 miles of range per hour. Service center said it was due to thermal regulation of the battery. Either way, glad it's resolved

It appears that a huge phantom drain and sleep problem was solved for me when I updated my 2020 MX to 2020.12.11.1 (from 2020.12.6).

Previous to the update I was losing on average 3.3 kWh and 12.6 miles per 24 hours. That loss was totally phantom drain and it would not sleep. Since the update there is effectively no loss and it sleeps like a baby. In a 12 hour and 19 minute test starting at midnight last night the loss was .01 kWh and .03 miles which is almost nothing per 24 hours.

In previous tests I had taken all of the suggestions I had found including:
  • Sentry off
  • Summon standby off
  • Cabin overheat protection off
  • Screen reset
  • Power off
  • TeslaFi settings for sleep
  • Key far away
  • Dismiss & don't use the Tesla app
  • Etc.
None of those made any difference. It was only the update to 2020.11.1 that seems to have solved the problem. Is anyone else seeing a similar result?

May I ask what your TeslaFi settings are now?

I had given up on TeslaFi and getting my X to sleep but may now reconsider after downloading the update.

I had same problem with my Model 3.

After the previous software update I noticed 5 kWh phantom drain per 24 hours. It turned out that the car wasn't going to sleep and Sentry was recording numerous videos of the inside of my garage, even though I had Sentry set to Off at Home. I tried clearing the Home setting on my Nav and re-saving the same location as Home. That seemed to solve the problem, but it returned. I set Sentry completely Off using the app, but the car's screen still showed Sentry On. So I turned Sentry Off from the car's screen, which solved the phantom drain.

After I updated to 2020.12.11.1 the phantom drain problem returned with Sentry set to Off at Home. I again cleared the Home setting in the Nav and re-saved it. Problem seems to be solved now.

May I ask what your TeslaFi settings are now?
I had given up on TeslaFi and getting my X to sleep but may now reconsider after downloading the update.
I played with various settings constantly thinking that there was some secret combination that would work. In the end it was the 2020.12.11.1 update that solved the problem. Since the update the biggest variable for me is Cabin Overheat Protection. With that on my MX will alternately sleep and idle about every hour but the phantom drain is still pretty small. With Cabin Overheat Protection off it will sleep nonstop. I'm in the middle of a test right now and it's been sleeping for 20 hours with no drain. I'm guessing that I could disable both 'Nighttime TeslaFi Sleep Mode' and 'Deep Sleep Mode' and it wouldn't make any difference. Keep in mind that the appropriate setting for 'No Shift State Reading' can vary depending on what year your Tesla is (for newer models it should be unchecked).

Here are my current settings:
upload_2020-5-12_6-6-7.png

Last edited:
I played with various settings constantly thinking that there was some secret combination that would work. In the end it was the 2020.12.11.1 update that solved the problem.

This is very helpful. I literally tried every setting over quarantine and it absolutely would not sleep. I ended up taking it to the dealership and it slept overnight so I just thought it was an issue within my home.

Either way I’ll try TeslaFi again with this new update. Thanks!

This is very helpful. I literally tried every setting over quarantine and it absolutely would not sleep. I ended up taking it to the dealership and it slept overnight so I just thought it was an issue within my home.

Either way I’ll try TeslaFi again with this new update. Thanks!
How strong is the WiFi signal where you park it? Some folks have posted that if there is a weak WiFi signal it will keep a vehicle from sleeping as it searches for a good signal. The fact that it slept at Tesla is a sign of something.

Last edited:
I actually turned off WiFi in the car just to see if that was the culprit.

I just got my car back after being at the dealership for over 2 weeks and it doesn't look like I lost much overnight so I'm reinstalling TeslaFi as we speak to see if it's sleeping again.

Well, I am having the same issue with 2020.20.1 that was installed a few days ago. Draining 5% in 24 hours, car not sleeping anymore, and looking for a solution...
Same here, but problem started for me after 2020.20.5. Installed last Sunday, 6/7. The car did sleep some that night, but was mostly awake, but without large losses. Then charged it on Monday afternoon and it hasn’t slept a wink since. Like you, losses around 5%/day. I have rebooted at least 4 or 5 times. I’ve tried turning off WiFi. I’ve unplugged USB sticks. Keys are at other end of the house. Not looking at Tesla app.

I noticed that last night it thought it was 0.5 miles down the street, and therefore Teslafi shows that it had sentry mode on. That obviously will cause high losses, but that’s not been the problem the rest of the time.

As I am a Teslafi user, I am contemplating whether something needs to be adjusted in my sleep settings. Although what I had has been fine for a long time, sometimes a car software update does necessitate a Teslafi setting change. As a side, I am suddenly getting an inordinate number of Teslafi messages: “A drive may have occured during this idle session. The range loss and kWh loss is not included in the daily summary.”

2017 MX, HW3.0, MCU1

Edit: And got 2020.20.12 update on Wednesday, 6/10. No apparent effect on this issue.

Same here, but problem started for me after 2020.20.5. Installed last Sunday, 6/7. The car did sleep some that night, but was mostly awake, but without large losses. Then charged it on Monday afternoon and it hasn’t slept a wink since. Like you, losses around 5%/day. I have rebooted at least 4 or 5 times. I’ve tried turning off WiFi. I’ve unplugged USB sticks. Keys are at other end of the house. Not looking at Tesla app.

I noticed that last night it thought it was 0.5 miles down the street, and therefore Teslafi shows that it had sentry mode on. That obviously will cause high losses, but that’s not been the problem the rest of the time.

As I am a Teslafi user, I am contemplating whether something needs to be adjusted in my sleep settings. Although what I had has been fine for a long time, sometimes a car software update does necessitate a Teslafi setting change. As a side, I am suddenly getting an inordinate number of Teslafi messages: “A drive may have occured during this idle session. The range loss and kWh loss is not included in the daily summary.”

2017 MX, HW3.0, MCU1

Edit: And got 2020.20.12 update on Wednesday, 6/10. No apparent effect on this issue.

Maybe this helps you then: I am not a Teslafi user, and have never used it. So, that does not seem to be related.

In the mean time, I have switched off wifi, unplugged USB stick, switched off alarm, no Sentry, even used low power usage setting. But: no sleep and still draining 4-5% per 24 hours. I will contact Tesla again on Monday (EU time)

I have the 2020.20.12 update. My car consumed ~3 kWh overnight with sentry off, and no aftermarket apps.

So it's about 1 MWh a year of energy waste. Enough to drive >3,000 miles in a year.

The I-Pace consumed 1 kWh in 2 months while in storage unplugged. Or 18 miles in a year.

If I had bought the MX for "Green Signalling" it seems the broadcast is being jammed from Fremont. I should call the FCC/EPA. :D

The truth is I did not buy the MX for green purposes. I prefer electric cars, and the MX is on a trial basis to replace a pickup. I have trailers for it, and 5 seat does hold a lot of interior cargo.

But Tesla should really fix this. That a ton of power for a modern computer, and leads all EVs sold in vampire losses.

Last edited:
Maybe this helps you then: I am not a Teslafi user,
Yes, that does help to know that.

But: no sleep and still draining 4-5% per 24 hours. I will contact Tesla again on Monday (EU time)
Will be anxious to hear if they have a fix. While I’m sorry to hear others are having this problem, it will get fixed quicker if it is a widespread issue.

My car consumed ~3 kWh overnight
Same here with all the things off. Down 5.6 kWh in 24 hours. Something is really amiss.

• Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus