Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Drain (vampire, parasitic, maintenance) with long term parking.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y long range on order and I have but one concern that I hope that the good people of this community may be able to help me with. My job requires me to be gone for a month at a time. While I am gone my car would be left sitting in a parking lot without charging available. I have 2 questions.

1. How much battery drain should I calculate for 30 days?
2. Does anyone know of any solar charging options that would take care of the "parked" battery drain?

Thanks

To answer your first question - probably 1-2% per day, so maybe 50%over a 30 day period. Things you could do to minimize drain- switch off cabin overheating protection, turn off sentry mode. Do not check the app too often.
In that case I would have to show up to work with as much charge as possible. And may have to reconsider my order... thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
Not sure if previous post was a typo, but 1-2 % per week is my experience. 6 days at airport in Apr with everything off and I returned to +1 miles (likely due to difference in temp).
That sounds a lot better... i work 28 days on and 28 days off... i would hate to get back to my car and not be able to make it back to a super charger... thanks for the input.

Upvote 0
That sounds a lot better... i work 28 days on and 28 days off... i would hate to get back to my car and not be able to make it back to a super charger... thanks for the input.
Yeah, that's my experience too. If the car stays off, vampire drain is minimal. Maybe a percent per week. Be sure to set the so it stays "off":
  • Turn off sentry mode (most important)
  • Turn off cabin overheat protection
  • Don't open the app on your phone to check on it often (once a week is fine, but not several times a day)

Reactions: AlexHung
Upvote 0
Had my first experience with leaving my car unplugged for a few days and it was not a great one with regards to vampire drain. Took my car to a hotel for 5 days with no way to plug it in. Arrived with 75% SoC (~255 miles) and parked the car (topped off at somewhat nearby supercharger prior to arrival). Turned off sentry mode knowing that it a big battery draw.

Returned to my car 5 days later (today) and it was showing 170 miles remaining. So in 5 days, I lost 85 miles of range which seems somewhat excessive. I am going to attribute it to Cabin Overheat Protection being enabled but to be honest, while the car was parked out in the sun the whole time, the outside temp rarely got above 88 F. I don't use anything like TeslaFi or any other "API"-type services that would prevent the car from going to sleep.

I am much less confident now about leaving my car for long stretches unplugged.

• Helpful
Reactions: bluetrep1
Upvote 0
Some things to consider: If Smart Summons it set to standby mode the car will not go to sleep and will drain the battery as fast as leaving sentry on.

Cabin Overheat Protection being enabled but to be honest, while the car was parked out in the sun the whole time, the outside temp rarely got above 88

Outside air temperature is not as significant as is the Sun. The car could easily top 100, or more.

Upvote 0
Some things to consider: If Smart Summons it set to standby mode the car will not go to sleep and will drain the battery as fast as leaving sentry on.

Outside air temperature is not as significant as is the Sun. The car could easily top 100, or more.

Venting windows will help alot. Also, roof sunshade is a must for sun. Doing both will save battery meaningful in my experience.

Upvote 0
I have a Model Y long range on order and I have but one concern that I hope that the good people of this community may be able to help me with. My job requires me to be gone for a month at a time. While I am gone my car would be left sitting in a parking lot without charging available. I have 2 questions.

2. Does anyone know of any solar charging options that would take care of the "parked" battery drain?

Thanks

Thanks
Enjoy your tesla.
15% drain for 32 days and the person had cabin overheat active.

Upvote 0
This is exactly what I’m seeing , it’s pretty excessive IMHO. Is this still the case for you too? Thanks !

As long as you are NOT using cabin overheat protection, and NOT using sentry mode, drain is Much less than 3% a day.

Upvote 0
As long as you are NOT using cabin overheat protection, and NOT using sentry mode, drain is Much less than 3% a day.

Correct ... I went on a trip for a week. Went from 40% to 39%. Just make sure you aren't obsessively pinging the car or running features that keep the car awake and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Upvote 0